What Are Your Favorite Five Best Of All Time War Movies?

Seems pointless to try to come up with only five titles as the list of great films is almost endless.

However, mention of Tom Hanks’ new effort prompted me to realise that I haven’t seen “12 O’Clock High” on anyone’s list so far.

:beer:

3 Likes

Yes a very good movie but 2 guys mentioned it

1 Like

I already posted five titles but thought I mention a couple more of my favorite WWI titles as well.

1 Like

Perhaps The Bedford Incident should get a look in somewhere; I don’t know if it’s been mentioned before (and I can’t really be bothered to trawl back!), but quite a chilling film - the ending made quite an impact (no pun intended) when I first watched it as a young soldier.

3 Likes

The CGI stuff is well made IMHO. Too bad they keep their drop tanks during combat…

H.P.

4 Likes

With back drop of the Civil War, I suppose Gone with the Wind merits a mention.

4 Likes

The Horse Soldiers
Blackhawk Down
Breaker Morant
Murphys War

The beat goes on so many more

1 Like

I think, he is not really good as a soldier. I have read that John Ford always raised him because he did’nt go to war, like: " you can’t even salute properly " and Wayne was very unhappy with it all his life

1 Like

Some soldiers become actors.
Actors need to play their role according to the script.
The script may not necessarily have been written by a soldier.
Some soldiers have worked as expert advisors to film producers
and their expert advice has been ignored.
Movies about war are not necessarily realistic or correct so an actor who has never served as a soldier may very well end up playing a soldier and real soldiers will react to mistakes performed by that character.

Some of my officers during my conscript service were comedians, some intentionally and some unintentionally … If a film was to be made about them it might be condemned as totally unrealistic …

3 Likes

Michael Caine - a fairly well known Brit actor, was actually a servicemen in Korea, and saw active service.

One of his earliest acting roles was in a film called “A Hill in Korea”; Michael sought to intervene when there were, to his mind, unrealistic portrayals of military action, but the director was having none of it.

Plus ça change…

3 Likes

Michael Caine also had another “profession”

:rofl: :rofl: :+1:

4 Likes

You are shurely right, but in the case of Wayne I can see a big difference. One example: to me " The green Berets " is the worst example for my opinion. Otherwise there is " She wore a yellow ribbon ", he is playing a soldier too, but in his " natural environment " as I would call it. To me he was totaly wrong in the first example and in the second he just belongs there. A lot of other western movies confirm that.
But that’s just my opinion
Examples for what you said is Dale Dye and the Marine-Instructor in Full Metal Jacket

1 Like

For this, absolutely:

Regards,

M

4 Likes

The Bedford Incident has been mentioned not in this thread but another back in June. And yes, it was a great flick. I have no favorite five, but I’d love to start a “Worst War Movies of All Time” thread.

7 Likes

Not a war movie per se, but certainly a wartime movie, that most any GI can identify with in some parts… Biloxi Blues.
Christopher Walken as the Drill Sergeant who barely needs to raise his voice to get the maximum damage done…

2 Likes

Please start us a Worst War movie thread.

Pearl Harbor - 2001 shouod be near the top of the list

5 Likes

The Pearl Harbour Sucked song in Team America perfectly summed up that film.
‘Why does Michael Bay get to keep on making movies?’

Reading back through the thread I notice some I haven’t seen yet and others I haven’t seen in a long time.
Gettysburg is one I haven’t seen since the days of VHS. My dad had it and I remember it coming on 2 tapes!

2 Likes

It took me time to get 5 war movies. My favourites (not in order necessarily)

1. Black Hawk Down
  2. The hunt for the Red October
  3. Not a movie but you can watch like a movie, Band of Brothers
  4. Lone Survivor
  5. The Siege of Jadotville
2 Likes

Can we add "Final Countdown to the list?

:beer:

6 Likes

No……the flying scenes are better than Top Gun. I think we need to through a storm so you can undo your post. :sunglasses:

5 Likes