What did you do in your modeling workshop today?

That’s an impressive chainsaw! Mine won’t router the edges like that… :rofl:

5 Likes

The resin tires came in for my RR AC so I painted them up and put them on. Finished with the decals. Now it’s ready for a clear flat coat.

19 Likes

Looks very nice!

2 Likes

Nice! Why they painted the bonnet white?

1 Like

First for me, raw umber wash, with lighter fluid.

10 Likes

Very sharp looking!
A++ Matt

1 Like

@ Matthew. BeaUtiful!

@ Frank. Looking good! I’ve always been fascinated by the left-handed cockpit… shouldn’t it be on the right side? … Kidding! :grin:

—mike

3 Likes

While in a Philly hotel waiting on the bat signal to be a uber driver, I decided to bring a Tamiya Gama Goat I bought from @Sherb awhile back along for the ride. Couple of hours of work last night.

Not a bad kit so far.

13 Likes

The Nobody Will Ever See Them Category…

My original plan was to add lightening holes to the very plain landing gear doors. However, I lack the proper tool to create them so I scrapped that idea. Instead, I stuck-on strips of Tamiya Masking tape (2mm) in hopes of creating a little micro-relief under the paint. :hammer_and_wrench:

Also, a small Tow Bar detail… Outrigger T-handles (imaginary axle-locking mechanism).:hammer_and_wrench: … I forgot, this whole thing is imaginary! :flying_saucer:

“And whom do you think you are calling imaginary?” :face_with_monocle:

—mike …:flying_saucer:

9 Likes

You’ve really brought out on the tread and sidewall detail beautifully on those tyres.

1 Like

@RougePilot Thank you!
@TeeAge Thanks. The white is for air recognition.
@Armor_Buff Thanks Wade, it is a pretty vehicle.
@justsendit Thanks Mikey, it’s an elegant car!
@Karl187 Thank you Karl, a little grey drybrush to make them pop.
Does anybody but me drybrush anything anymore? Why has drybrushing gone out of style?

5 Likes

Matt, I still cling “to the old ways” and dry brush. It’s my favorite part of doing a project. From a fairly recent Pz IV F in ~2020. Right or wrong I like the edge to slightly ‘pop’ to attempt to enhance 3D appearance of details & model.

Decline of dry brushing…

1. My perception is major proponents of the “Spanish School” consistently ridiculed or implied dry brushing was a the technique of “amateurs”. This of course helped sales of expensive pigments :pig2: :pig:.

2. Dry brushing is an easy technique to over do and takes a fair bit of practice. The question of what color and how to mix for effective dry brushing is just as much a hinderance to many modelers as how to mix their own wash. Buying premixed pigments offers a different path for finishing.

3. I think back in the day a lot of folks struggled to do the Verliden look with dry brushing with wild variations in results.

4. Decline of enamel paints. I’ve always liked using enamels with a touch of oil paint as my dry brushing mix. It’s easy. However, getting a mix of acrylic, reducer & thinner right to DB is much more tricky. Add in the practice requirements for DB and it can become a frustrating technique to learn for first timers with an acrylic preference.

5. Spanish School looks good most of the time! (Unless its a blued :blue_heart: panzer gray or cartooned rust monster etc which usually look ridiculous to me)

15 Likes

Looks good to me, I have only just recently tried dry brushing, with mixed results but I agree that it can and does give great results, practice makes perfect. :+1:

4 Likes

Model Railroad rather than Military related.

Also I am really getting into custom computer printed signage for my models wherever possible.

More restored period signage can be found at:

6 Likes

[quote=“Armor_Buff, post:998, topic:26824”]

1. My perception is major proponents of the “Spanish School” consistently ridiculed or implied dry brushing was a the technique of “amateurs”. This of course helped sales of expensive pigments :pig2: :pig:.

Couldn’t agree more.

1. Dry brushing is an easy technique to over do and takes a fair bit of practice.

As with anything, but it has its value. For me, a properly drybrushed bolt head pops more and looks far better than a bolt head with a scale three inch pin wash all the way around it.

1. I think back in the day a lot of folks struggled to do the Verliden look with dry brushing with wild variations in results.

Never cared for the “Verlinden Way.” Especially the faces on figures.

1. Decline of enamel paints. I’ve always liked using enamels with a touch of oil paint as my dry brushing mix. It’s easy. However, getting a mix of acrylic, reducer & thinner right to DB is much more tricky. Add in the practice requirements for DB and it can become a frustrating technique to learn for first timers with an acrylic preference.

I still have my enamels. I probably will when I die.

1. Spanish School looks good most of the time!

Oh, the eye is always drawn to those first at a contest, primarily because of the stark contrast in colors and overweathering, They’re also the first ones I dismiss as being unrealistic. Nothing looked more uninteresting than my gun truck in Iraq. And i wouldn’t build it anyother way.
And the preshading thing, when it’s not completely ppainted over and serving no purpose, looks exactly like what it is, and again, provides nice variation in color, but looks totally out of place most of the time.

7 Likes

Like panel lines on an airplane. I a tired of seeing builds where the plane looks like a patchwork quilt.

5 Likes

Yeap, like others have said I also still use drybrushing. Actually I tend to do the exact same thing you mentioned with resin tyres. Citadel do a whole line of drybrush paints which can come in handy- (AMMO make some too) and I have a few sizes of drybrushes which, for me, work much better than using just a normal brush.

3 Likes

Hear, Hear.

A skilled modeler who does weathering similar to the Spanish school once told me
that my models looked boring.
I felt so PROUD that day, it was the finest compliment that anyone has ever given my models
and my modelling :grin: :+1: :rofl:

2 Likes

Buff - your model looks super and perfectly done to the absolutely correct degree but to be fair, I have seen any number of “painted ladies” (i.e. whoores) in armor competitions. While they MAY look more appealing to the eye than model tanks done in a more “plain” manor they just don’t look REAL.

Which is why I have now opted out of the “closed top armor” model divisions almost from the beginning. I have spent days in the field with armored vehicles and that is, to put it simply, NOT what they look like.

Just a personal peeve of mine! ~ but to each his/her own!

3 Likes

165th, thank you.

Interesting description of the excess some folks favor, made me think of this…

As an old school shadow painting fan here’s a little poke at the preshading school…in friendly fun.

8 Likes