What did you do in your modeling workshop today?

Speaking of guns, history and models, Palmetto State Armory - Replica StG 44 in 7.62. The worlds first assault rifle, one of the Holy Grail of WW2 firearms, the Sturmgewehr 44 , “assault rifle 44” will be available to buy in as a semiautomatic.

There’s also a .22 version that will be offered.

Sturmgewehr44_noBG

Wanted to share info, popped up in my YouTube feed after watching too many NightShift, Black Rifle Coffee and Garand Thumb videos.

8 Likes

Anyway, so now that I’m finished the pastels and pigments, I think I’m pretty much done with this except for the recovery cables and a couple shovels.

It may be too late, but I might attempt to tone down the vehicle number with a judicious application of oil dots.

11 Likes

Beautiful, Al! Looks superb!

1 Like

I appreciate your feedback @SSGToms.

Panzer shop resin kits seem to be cut above all the others.

5 Likes

Past few days - got some paint on the Hellcat …

8 Likes

Looks great, Richard! :+1:
Still have a few Eduard Hellcats in my stash, need also to build a USN one day, have only FAA in my fleet so far … :blush:

1 Like

I just spent 45 minutes digging through my closet filled with plastic/resin crap to find parts/pieces for the IDF campaign.
While searching for a DEF downward dog exhaust and PE set, I came across this ancient LO Model set; note the price sticker.

I have no idea when or where I got this jewel.

7 Likes

Not a productive hobby day. Visited my 90 year old mom about a 90 min drive from home. Did some stuff around her room and picked up a pair of new glasses that came in for her. If I’m not too beat might try to get some of the turret done on the Magach.

5 Likes

Spent the evening setting up for our local contest tomorrow. Probably Sunday before I do anything.

3 Likes

Got the glacis fixed and repainted. Shot another gloss coat over all to bury the decal edges. Now ready for final assembly, final detail painting, tools and weathering.

10 Likes

Hobby wise, listen to Kali Kat lecture on benefits of thinning Tamiya Acrylic with Lacquer thinner while cleaning up track links in the living roon last night and this morning.

6 Likes

Last night I did some prep work on the Magach turret. Had to remover some bits and fill in some guide holes. This morning I sanded the putty and checked that every thing was smooth. Will have to replace some of the cast texture. No biggie. Local AMPS chapter meeting tonight.

4 Likes

Be happy of every moment you can still share with her! Hope she’s still well. My parents (85 and 87 years) live at least a 6-7 hours drive away from me. Depends on the traffic. Can do this only once or twice a year.

My work for today so far were paint preparations on my Wildcats. Closed the landing gear and engine compartment with kitchen paper. Next step is masking the canopies …

6 Likes

Thanks. She’s still pretty sharp but not very mobile. Spinal stenosis and a hip replacement last year. Shame of it is that of her 6 children I am the only one that is near. The other 5 are on the west coast or Hawaii. They are financially secure but only come about 2x a year. They all seem to come at once which is kind of overwhelming then disappear. Tried to explain to them it would be better if they staggered their visits so she would have visitors more often but. . .

6 Likes

Good on you, @Armorsmith

Not much modeling getting done today. Watching the IMSA Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona.
16 hours to go.

5 Likes

Oh man, auto racing is automatically indy track building time! It’s the perfect distraction / non-distraction for watching a race. You’ll be amazed at how quick you get a run of tracks done, too. It’s all I do when I’m watching a race. Plus you can stop when something exciting happens on screen without messing up the build. I’ll build the tracks for my next 2 or 3 builds while watching guys trade paint.

4 Likes

Excellent point about racing as background entertainment when model building!

Taking a break from track links & Dragon Pz III last night & today. Decided to slap Italeri jerry cans together for the ~ ten jerry tanks in process…

8 Likes

Just wait until May 28…

May 28th fantastic day! Indianapolis 500, National Brisket Day & International Hamburger Day all at once!

3 Likes

Not to mention the Crown Jewel of the Formula One season, The Monaco Grand Prix the same morning.

Edited to add Two weekends later, The 24 Hours of Le Mans.

4 Likes