What do you like to do while building models?

I just thought this might be a interesting question. What do you like to do when faced with the dull monotony of say… building Indy link tracks, multiple subassemblies, or any other part of building a model.

Personally I will either listen to a Rooster teeth podcast, a modeling podcast, listen to Green day, AC/DC and any 80’s classic rock or watch Red vs Blue.

Or do you just focus on the build and try not to be distracted?

2 Likes

Some great podcasts that I listen to about modeling, otherwise plenty of tunes ranging from early metal to southern rock to blues and bluegrass. Depends on the mood at the time.

2 Likes

It depends, if I’m in the garage Music 60’s-70’s Rock or Punk Rock,some video on Youtube about modeling or history, lately I often watch Tested of Adam Savage, if instead I’m upstairs at the table some Movies or TV series.

1 Like

I find lately that there is always a new modeling podcast from anyone of the growing list. It seems now that there is one at least weekly that accompany me during my bench time. If I don’t have a new podcast to listen too, then it’s an audio book, more than likely history.

1 Like

Usually just building models,but once in awhile I will stream a sports talk show

1 Like

For me silence is golden.

3 Likes

I don’t think I can concentrate on a build without some background sound. I tend to switch between music (just about all genres, but mostly FutureFunk) and history videos on youtube (Soviet Storm: WWII in the east is a favorite) along with science stuff (Isaac Arthur/John Micheal Godier) or anything paranormal/crytptids.

2 Likes

Good subject Ezra. Total silence usually bothers me and podcasts annoy me. I have Amazon Music streaming most of the time from the computer through a small amp into some nice Polk speakers so the studio is rocking and the Zen is flowing. I have Amazon Prime so it’s commercial free constant music. Usually 70’s - 80’s rock. If I’m doing indy tracks, I find a NASCAR race is good company to pass the time. Classic war movies on the DVD are always good too. Always something playing at my place.

2 Likes

Usually sports or a tv series for me. Though usually something I’ve seen before as I don’t pay attention much to the show but it’s nice to have something on.

Sometimes war docu series. Something neat about having a panther on your table while seeing one rolling across Russia 80 years ago

1 Like

Depends on what’s being worked on with the model. Typically silence but sometimes do the following:

Talk on phone
Pet cat
Order pizza
Classic documentary in background like “The World At War”

Listen to music:

• 90’s alt rock

• 90’s rap

• Acid Jaz

• Jazz

• Classic rock

• Classical - Mozart (need inspiration or solve problem)

• 90’s gangsta rap - (bust a cap in Dragon kit’s instructions)

Absolutel Silence Required

• Airbrushing paint
  • Applying zimmerit
  • Attach Indy link track before cement cures
  • Delicate fiddly PE
3 Likes

Lately I’ve been listening to old time radio shows on Youtube. However, if I have a long involved build or diorama going on I will listen to a WW2 book being read on Youtube. There is a fascinating selection. I highly recommend “Stalingrad” by Antony Beevor Part 01 ( I believe there are 4 parts total) as an excellent background and inspiration to modelling WW2 subjects. The books are nice because you don’t have to be visually involved like if you had a movie playing.
If I’m in the mood for music as a background I will pop up one of the numerous Grateful Dead concert tapes from the 60’s to the 80’s (the period I like best was late 60’s through late 70’s)

Cheers,
C.

2 Likes

Usually just flip the radio on (actually, the TV on one of the cable music stations…). Music genre varies with my mood as I finish up the breakfast dishes and head upstairs to my workshop.

1 Like

Partially watching music DVD, Doobies, Eagles, AC/DC, etc. If not DVDs, then random selections off of Media Player. Plans are to bring in another laptop to view random armor pics as a slide show. Forgot one thing: beer.

1 Like

Usually have a pint of beer within reach. No TV because that’s distracting. I live in an area where there are a lot of good, commercial free, FM broadcast radio. The radio is on and sometimes the scanner.

A lot of great replies!
I agree having a history documentary playing is a nice thing to do as well. I will usually have one playing of the particular kit I’m working on playing just to learn some general backstory.

Chieftain videos are great as well, I highly recommend his AFV Development and myths of American armor talks.

1 Like

I listen to BBC Radio 4 extra. Brilliant comedy from my younger days and some good quiz shows too. Occasionally I just enjoy the silence.

1 Like

I used to listen to music. Now that my modeling is of a different variety, I still listen to music sometimes.

1 Like

I have the radio on. It’s nice having the background noise (I think total silence would freak me out), but usually I’m concentrating on what I’m doing, so I ca hear the radio, but I’m not really listening to it.

2 Likes

I listen to Easy Rock Paradise, only occasionally has a DJ and no adverts…good mix of old and new rock “without the headaches”…

With my tinnitus I have to have some music going to stop the ringing from driving me mad. I have a Pandora channel based on Tangerine Dream that gets the most airplay.

:beer:

2 Likes