What is your favorite, less known tool?

Following the thread of essential modelling tools , which are more or less the same for everyone, I am curious to know other less-known tools that you may not use every day but find specially useful.

One of mines is this simple Voyager photoetch scraper, which I use to get rid of seams on round/cilindrical parts like barrels and other:

5 Likes

Tamiya’s Diamond file for PE ideal for smoothing the nubs off of photoetch after its removed from the fret.

00 Paintbrush :paintbrush: (high quality, detail brush) dedicated for Testors Liquid Cement applications and applying Molak Stucco Putty as thin as paint to hair line seams.

HobbyTrax - Generic Track Tool had it for years, never used before Carpel Tunnel. Now it’s invaluable for track assembly holding white metal links in alignment to insert wire pins. Can be reconfigured for different sizes of links.

2 Likes

Mission Models Micro Chisel.

I’ve had mine for ages- a very useful piece of kit.

1 Like

While we’re on the subject, can anyone recommend good files for a reasonable price?

Ive seen mini file sets on Mr Bezos site that are fairly reasonable in price and come in various shapes within the sets, round/flat /triangular etc

1 Like

Search for Manwah model, they are a Chinese manufacturer so good price but also good quality. For files I recommend:

These are tiny diamond files, and if you are careful will do the job well. I tend to use them when cleaning up figure clothing and seam lines, they can get everywhere. Keep in mind they are aggressive so be careful when cleaning up model kit piece you do not go too far.

This is from Ustar, another Chinese company

The big flat file is my most commonly used tool. Four grits so you can use the one that suits the piece, but most importantly, you can easily feel when a sprue gate or detail you are removing is gone and the piece is flat, and you cannot beat the price.

Also a useful tool I use often is one meant to spread solder paste over stencils in chip soldering. The blades are thin spring steel, and they are perfect for spreading putty in hard to reach areas

1 Like

Squadron’s sanding stick multi-pack is decent value, good files too. The company ‘Flex-I-File’ also offer loads of filing products and are good quality for the price.

1 Like

Thanks guys I will look into these products. Some of my files are broken from being dropped lol.

Second, a great little tool. I have a few of their track tools.

1 Like

Halfords Wet & Dry Sanding pack- 12 sheets of Silicone Carbide paper, various grades;
230;240;400;800;1200 grits. Plenty for multiple projects .

1 Like

Woah! I need this, removing mold seems on landing gear studs and other small round parts is the bane of my existence

My dial calipers in metric. Measuring, scribing parallel lines, marking off styrene sheet for later scribe-n-snap cuts, cutting thin styrene strip stock to multiple uniform lengths…

Get a quality set, though, all metal manufacture. The set I have is a Mitatoyo old version of the current 505-731, 0-200mm with white face dial. Had and used this set since the late '80s and they’re as good today as when I first got them new.

Mitatoyo 505 Series Dial Calipers

(I also have the same but in inch measurements for gun smithing and reloading, but I for modeling I work almost exclusively in metric.)

1 Like

The “BGA maintenance knife” looks really interesting, especially the tiny oblong saw blade. Did you get it from this vendor ?

A Kirkland Products Ring Clamp. A jewelry maker’s tool repurposed for model making. The leather-lined jaws gently but securely hold small parts while you get medieval on them with knives, files and other instruments of torture, saving your precious fingers from cuts, scrapes and assorted abuse.

2 Likes

I’m a bit of a fanatic when it comes to tools, and don’t mind spending good money for quality or innovative tools. When it comes to modeling tools, the old adage “you get what you pay for” holds true for most tools.

This is easily the best modeling saw I’ve ever purchased, incredibly fine, razor sharp teeth and simply a high quality tool (that had a price tag to match):

And this is easily the best tool I’ve found for removing roadwheel seams consistently and with relatively little effort:

1 Like

Been there, done that. Some years ago (2016), a friend and I designed and produced a similar tool which I now use on a regular basis.

1 Like

I remember @varanusk posted something about this quite some time ago in another thread but haven’t been able to find that post or this tool, thanks for sharing this again! Gotta get this one!

Cajun :crocodile:

Well after a somewhat extensive search I discover this scrapper . . .

is going to be a challenge to locate :slightly_frowning_face:

Cajun :crocodile:

1 Like

@agincajun This one

can be had from BNA Model World for $6.77

I have one and it’s a great tool and they’re in stock.

2 Likes

BNA has also the Voyager one:

And it is available from eBay, Aliexpress and several other online shops. Just search Voyager TEZ058

1 Like