What the postman brought today (Armorama)

Nice Tiger. I want to do a mid. I’d like to use the Tamiya. How did you do the zimmerit?

I used the decal Zimmerit that Tamiya offers.

2 Likes

Clock-bomb GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

:clown_face: :wink:

10 Likes

A bridge layer with twin mine clearing lunchers??? How does that work.?

Once saw an Abrams with twin MIKLICs mounted (sp?) I thought that was extremely cool!

Does the bomb blow when it reaches 10 likes?

3 Likes

I got and read the M58 MICLIC TM, but I only know enough about how the MICLIC works to be scary dangerous. :grin:

I think they’re just repurposed M48 and M60 AVLB that are made into the AVLM MICLIC.

The M1 Abrams with the MICLIC is called M1150 assault breacher?

After all, I’m just a lazy civilian holed up in his basement who builds ‘em.

So they are/were just repourposed tank bridger chasses. I saw your photo and just could not figure out how thay could be both at the same time.

1 Like

Yup; that’s the M1150 Assault Breacher Vehicle (ABV). The Marines first fielded this monster during Operation Cobra’s Anger in the Helmand Province of Afghanistan back in 2009.

5 Likes

Freaking yeah! Get some!!! :boom::boom:

Going need a minute, good stuff. Lot bigger than I recall seeing in the late 90’s.

1 Like

if you watch the video, you see them using smaller MCLIC charges. I think those smaller charger are launched from boat-like sled that’s towed behind an engineering vehicle. Much smaller than the M58.

The one I saw was trailer mounded and towed behind a AAV if memory is correct.

That blast wasn’t as big as the Breacher at the end.

1 Like

I think it was an M58, the engineers just probably cut down the charge to minimize collateral damage, since the previous charges were close to some structures. Once they went out into the open field, they used the full charge from the M1150.

1 Like

Built the RFM kit a few years ago, without the ridiculously complex mine plow. I used the M1 dozer blade from PSM. Can’t remember the nomenclature for the blade….

Edited for better photo

8 Likes

It’s called the “Combat Dozer Blade”; RFM created a Marine M1A1 FEP Abrams fitted with that blade.

The “CDB” is built by Pearson Engineering in the UK.

5 Likes

Haven’t gotten that kit but thought about it. If I recall, the breacher was operated by combat engineers and not tankers.

Can’t comment on who operates it. I do know the Big Army has some along with the Marines.

I had a pic of a USMC breacher with the dozer blade that I swiped off of Task and Purpose but I can’t find it.

Photo credit USMC

It’s a typical RFM kit, pretty well engineered with link and length track, IRCC. You’ll end up with lots of M1 Abrams extras.

I’ll make you a hell of a deal on all the plow parts, several sealed sprues worth along with a big sheet of PE.

2 Likes

A/M tracks and drive sprockets for an AFV Club Sd.kfz.251, arrived from BNA Modelworld. The AFV Club kit comes with rubber band tracks, hence the upgrade. Added bonus is this upgrade includes the dribble sprockets.

Box is 90% fresh air inside could have been a bit smaller :rofl:

Probably the finest resolution 3D printed parts I have seen. Links are all pre-separated, and sprockets come still connected to their support system:

Comparison of the AFV Club sprocket and the A/M sprockets. Very tidy, much finer ribbing. I have since removed one A/M sprocket from its supports, was reasonably easy (about 10min to seperate and clean up), and leaves no visible damage etc.

Wasn’t a particularly cheap option, but can’t fault the product. Five gold stars :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

10 Likes

Dang it Bobby, I want a ABV now.

2 Likes

13 Likes

This arrived via the Brown Truck late last night direct from New Hampshire:

I couldn’t find the kit plans online in any of the usual places prior to purchase.

Excuse the phone shadow; this seems to be a really well engineered kit. Check out the one piece differentials with attached springs:

If you’ve built the Trumpeter US Patriot combo, the launcher assembly is almost exactly the same.

Cab is a single molding; interior snaps in from the bottom. Windshield halves install from outside:

Details on the engine are a bit soft but it’s completely covered, from the topside anyway.

7 Likes