What the postman brought today (Armorama)

Well, my birthday splurge arrived today. Couple kits and some random extras.

Now the hard part, with the DEF late M551 barrel in hand, I’m trying to decide, do I start on my Cold War Sheridan or the M60A2…or finish one of the 30 other half complete projects?

6 Likes

It does take some practice to get the paint/thinner mix right and what pressure to use. I suggest googling airbrushing with your preferred paint brand and check out the videos that pop up. That will give you a good head start.

As to actually laying down paint on your model, practice on an old kit first, if you have any. Test how your set up works for you, then when you are comfortable, get to work on the real kit. This is what I did and was thankful it was only an old junker that I stuffed up first time around!

Thanks, I don’t have the ability to use a booth right now so I’m sticking with water based acrylics. Based on my reading they seem to be harder to get the setup right for so that should be fun. I don’t have any old kits as I’m starting fresh after a 25 year break but i bought a basic kit to start with partly to get the hands and eyes coordinated again but also because I knew I would need something to practice painting on.

If you’re airbrushing acrylics without a booth I’d recommend you try using Mission Models paints - they’re more expensive but they aren’t nearly as toxic as any other brand of hobby paint

If you are just starting back, I would suggest using Tamiya paints first. Far more forgiving than other brands. Use their Lacquer Thinner, not their Acrylic thinner and you will have less issues - but spray outside if you don’t have a booth. The acrylic thinner can dry very quickly and leave a grainy coat on the model, which is why many modellers use the lacquer type. Try a 50/50 paint to thinner mix on a pressure between 12 PSI to 20 PSI at first. I actually add gloss to my Matt paint mix and that seems to give a smoother even coat.

Not sure of your genre, but if you do armour then you can test out on the inside of the hull and upper superstructure if that will not be seen later. Just keep paint away from where you will join parts on… or another option to test out, is buy a few sheets of Evergreen styrene card and spray that. A cheaper alternative than a wasted kit.

Good luck and enjoy the return to the hobby. Look forward to seeing you posting on here in future.

I started buying tamiya acrylics as thats what i used before but apparently in the time I’ve been gone safety has become a much bigger thing (rightly so). My space is in my basement furnace room with no windows or vents to outside and a gas furnace so no option for a booth and being in Canada spraying outside would be limited to about 4 or 5 months a year. I bought some ammo paint and will give that a go to start. One of my local stores did sell Mission paints but they are clearing them out so I didn’t think it was wise to buy into something that wont be stocked going forward. All my reading points to the tamiya, gunze or AK real color with lacquer thinner being the way to go so I will try and find a solution that gets me there safely but baby steps for now.

No matter what tiny airborne particles you decide to spray, at the very least, you should consider investing in a high-quality respirator. :skull_and_crossbones:

Spray healthy, my friend.
—mike

Still going through the learning curve, Carlos🙂
I have a soft spot for Bulgarian tanks- especially Pz. IV’s.

Cheers,
Angel

Looks the same to me, Ezra!

I’ll have to change some parts and add a second Bosch light to make it look like the vehicle I’ll model though.
Intend to open a topic, where I’ll build this and 3 other kits(2 of them still expected to arrive) as Bulgarian Maybachs from 1943-1945 and I hope the information I will provide lures other modellers to join with builds,

Cheers,
Angel

1 Like

Sounds like the makings of a Bulgarian armor campaign to me. Jest saying.

1 Like

Bulgarian Armor campaign wouldn’t be too realistic, Ryan.

I doubt I can gather 10 participants- that’s an obscure subject, connected to a small country with minuscule contribution in WWII.

Off course I might be wrong…

Cheers,
Angel

Yes maybe if just Maybach tanks but seems y’all had quite a list of vehicles one can choose from. Anyway just an idea. Along for the ride either way.

1 Like

I have a bit of a Nam head at the momemnt.
The boat is for an ongoing Tet '68 Eve of Destruction dio. the figure kits for a few other ideas I have in mind.

3 Likes

all the more reason to do it Angel … :grin: :+1:

I would jump in as well.

2 Likes

Angel depending on the time line for Bulgarian WW2 Campaign I’m interested.

Enough Pz IV G/H kits are on the shelf that at least one needs non-German markings.

2 Likes

Don’t forget about me Angel, I’m for it too :wink:

2 Likes

Angel, Venelin, Ryan and Peter - that is 4 without trying…

Kalin maybe??

With all the forms of artillery already in kit form, it would not be too hard for someone to build a Bulgarian version without too much trouble.

I have a Tamiya Citroen CV, I can always build that as the Civilian one used by a couple of Bulgar
in one of the early James Bond movies… Ha, ha.

1 Like

Can you tell me more about the miniart vomag kit?

I’m disappointed that Miniart haven’t put the instructions sheet online for this kit, or at least haven’t yet.

Possibly 5, I have a buncha Pz. IV’s that need to be painted in something other then German camo…

2 Likes

Depending on time line, I’m #6

2 Likes