What the postman brought today (Armorama)

I ordered it through Scale Reproductions in Louisville, KY. Took Brian a bit of time to track down a supplier for Sabre here in the US. I already had the Dragon 4-axle version but as I indicated, it has or had no underpinnings - just a hollow shell. But I rectified that problem for myself.

1 Like

I have one in my stash and like you find it a difficult prospect.

Nice haul, Mike!

That’s one of the few 1/35 rail kits I heard Ilian Filipov praise… :wink:

Cheers,
Angel

Angel . . . Cat - I like models that will actually teach you about the real thing. After building this one I think one would be close to being qualified to work on the real thing.

However when I opened the box on this one I did kind of take a step back and say “whoa”.

1 Like

I have often contemplated this kit, but not taken the plunge to buy one.

I like the way they specifically point out the springs have the central casting ‘line’ so the leaves interlock just like they do on the ‘Famo’. A lot of modellers would complain about a seam and scrape it off!

2 Likes

pet bat ~ I AGREE!

You probably already know that I have posted exactly that advice about the Famo and other German leaf springs elsewhere on this site ~ This IS NOT a mold seam though the contest judges migh try and tell you otherwise! ~ And I have been a judge on occasion so no offense intended to the other judges out there. (See Edited Sabre Photo Above.)

Wheatcroft Famo:
Front transverse mounted leaf spring.

WheatcroftFAMO

As to this kit from SABRE - I honestly did not know just exactly what I might be getting myself in for! Perhaps I should start out first with their 2-axle boxcar. (Excuse me, “Goods Wagon”)

2 Likes

I used that example when doing our club judging class that sometimes we don’t know everything like we think we do (I didn’t know til reading those posts long ago) and we should take a step back and off the high horse.

2 Likes

OK - and I know this will sound egotistical - but given the amount of research I try to do in building a given model. I tend to look at myself as possibly the best “expert” in the model room that day - ON THAT ONE PARTICULAR SUBJECT!

Much in the same way that I would never think to argue with John Hale on the subject of detailing the “Cobra King” Sherman.

1 Like

OK ~ I am a self-professed lover of hidden detail and the Dragon car shown below proves it, but I still had to take a step back when considering the start of that big SSyms from Sabre.

PLEASE NOTE: The under framing of this model flatcar was based on my knowledge of US engineering practice which I now know to be greatly different from the European standards of common practice. (In other words I know now that there is a lot that is incorrect about my “free-lanced” design & detail work as shown here.)

I also bought an AM set of air brake rigging from LZ Models for this car but have so far not been able to figure out how to work it into the structure as I now have it framed.

6 Likes

Sage advice. One of my club members was pipped in a State comp because he had placed an officer’s cap in the back of his strafed Kubelwagen dio - the reason given? “No German Officer would ever leave his cap behind…”

The other I used to bring up, when I was judging and advising others, was 'if someone includes their references for the build - look at them before judging". The number of times I have seen critical feedback given that is in exact contrast to the references provided like that spring locating ridge…

or “The front wheels on your SdKfz 250 are not perfectly vertical”… Oh? They are always perfectly vertical???

7 Likes

European Style Railroad Air Brake Detail Set from L.Z. Models:
While on the subject of our model railroad cars needing air brakes:
(You might note the box cover says; “Suitable for Trumpeter and Dragon . . . type wagons.”)

Nicely done resin parts, a BIG sheet of brass PE and a cute little CD * with all the instructions.

. .

• Often people don’t appreciate what they are getting with the instructions on CD. First of all you get MANY other instruction sheets as well. (Yes this may be considered blatant advertising) but it is ALSO showing you a lot of other AM sets that; if you bought this set then you are GOING TO HE INTERESTED IN THE OTHERS!

• AND . . .
    The CD means you get ALL the latest data and/or corrections the manufacture has currently on the subject. With paper instructions they may print 5000 and unless they find an absolutely glaring error they are going to use up ALL those 5000 copies before they update and reprint the sheet.

3 Likes

Unless a vehicle’s front wheels are pointed exactly straight forward they will NEVER be exactly vertical - that is how they are designed to work! Even straight forward they have to be in exact proper alignment to be near the vertical.

I once had a scratch built vehicle set back from First to Third because the judges said the front steering was wall-eyed (both front tires pointing a bit too far outward when the steering wheel is set to straight ahead - just as bad as the steering being pigeon-toed!) Yes, I admit, the front alignment on the model WAS SLIGHTLY wall-eyed but I had set the steering to full hard right and the judges WERE NOT supposed to move the models so how did they know???

Besides don’t you think there was ever a military vehicle that was found to be out of alignment??? We had a old service truck where the steering connecting rod came totally apart and the front wheels were both suddenly and totally wall-eyed. Fortunately we were still moving slowly around our parking lot and not out on the highway.

1 Like

Gordon (Sprue Brothers) is a really problem feeding my addiction. Postman just dropped off.

The missile kit is a impulse lighting deal after having fun with the 5” gun. The magazine was also a lighting deal and wouldn’t usually picked except for the LAV photos. The rest are need for future projects.

7 Likes

The sabre flat bed,
has lots of details, and you can get upgrades or buy as one upgraded set, wood deck , metal wheels, brass bits, one I have built was basic, the next one has some upgrades, all packed away at the minute awaiting move.

1 Like

Well done! A year and a half ago, I got six Sabre’s railroad wagons and I’m very happy. Congratulations!
Kalin

1 Like

At the club build (not paint :wink:) night at the hobby shop, I adopted this guy for my growing Bulgarian tank ramp.

6 Likes

I made the 2 axle flatcar from Sabre, and indeed it is no beginners model. But all the detail is there, and carefull reading of the instructions will get you a long way…

5 Likes

Fresh from the UPS :truck:

Hard to resist picking up a nearly new release of my favorite American Cold War tank. Model kit looks very nice in the box.

10 Likes

And such a bargain!

1 Like

Needed to replenish my thinners and cleaners and what not and these somehow ended up in the cart.

Need to push my self some more with including the odd human in my builds and figured these might help.

8 Likes