What the postman brought today (AutoModeler)

This past week I finally bit the bullet and decided to try some Nascar kits as my interest in the series has peaked since they increased their road course races from 2 to 7 for this year. I will confess that I do what the mile oval races as well as Bristol as they’re non-stop action.

The kits that I’m interested in are naturally molded in 1/24 scale, which are the old Monogram molds. Many of those molds now belong to Salvino Jr Models, and they’ve reworked the molds, added details where needed, sharpened the molding cavities, and even added new parts to correct errors and omissions, so that the car pictured on the box top is the actual car in the box. What’s more they went the extra mile and had all their decals Laser printed by Powerslide, which is one of the top AM decal companies for Nascar, Drag/Strip, etc.

Here’s the two gems that I bought. The 1st kit is Blue Max Racing 1983 Old Milwaukee Pontiac LeMans driven by Tim Richmond, and it’s going to be my next build.

the 2nd kit is Ranier Racing 1984 Hardees Monte Carlo driven by Cale Yarborough.

joell

5 Likes

Hi Joel

Those Salvino Jr Models Nascar racers look really interesting. I’ve never seen them before, so I’ll be really interested to watch your build of the Pontiac.

As regards the Ultimate decal solutions, sadly it’s timed just wrong to try them on my current build - job already done there - but I have new projects ready to start from a variety of manufacturers. I’ll also set up some tests with leftover decals from various producers. I’m trying to think if I’ve got any leftovers that were total sods to apply, because it would obviously be interesting to see if the Extra Strong solution could batter them into submission.

All the best

Rowan :beer:

1 Like

Nice one Joel.
Been after one of their kits for a while and I have finally manged to get hold of one for a decent price. It will be reviewed once its here.
Andy :slight_smile:

Hi Rowan,
Looking forward to your thoughts on the decals solutions.
I have bought a few of their products over the last couple of months and I’m pretty impressed with them so far.

Rowan,
From what I’ve heard, all of Paul’s ( He owns International Scale Modeler, as well as Ultimate Modeling projects), and every post I’ve ever seen about his products is that they’re all winners.

As I said, the Salvino jr. kits are heavily reworked Monogram molds with new parts where needed, and Powerslide decals. Like you guys, I can’t wait to finally build one.

Andy, here in the states they’re pretty easy to find, but from what you’ve said, not so in Canada.

On the other hand, I’ve been banging my head against the wall trying to find USA online sales of Nunu, Beemax, & Platz besides ebay. I guess that the subject matter of the type of race cars isn’t that much of an interest here. Even F1 still has horrendous Nelson rating. Better then Indy Car, but less then half of what Nascar gets weekly.

joel

Hi Joel,
I’m in the UK :joy:.
Hannants do stock Salvinos Jr Models kits over here but they do cost a fair bit, and I picked one up for half the price.
The one I am getting I do believe is a Salvinos Jr Models own tooling one, and I am very intrigued to have a look at it.
Beemax, and NuNu kits are a pain to get hold of even over here, and their websites are about as much help as a “404 not found” page. They very rarely update their homepages. The best place to find the kits is on Hobbyeasy and HLJ, but then you run the risk of import duties (espaically over here now).

Andy,
Sorry for moving you to my side of the pond and up North to Canada.

It does get a little confusing that Salvino jr has both their own molds and retooled Monogram molds. I better check what I got as some of the old Monogram kits have completely wrong suspensions, like leaf springs in the rear.

joel

Rowan: Looking forward to that review.

Joel: Love those big colorful Nascars. Will be very interesting to follow your build.

Jesper,
The 1st of my two Nascar kits is what I’d class as totally out of my comfort zone. I’ve been trying to find basic information online as to the drivers compartment, engine compartment, and the underside of the chassis. I’m not looking to do much detailing, but I’m not even sure what’s what, and where it goes, and why. Add to that, that those cars changed from race to race, and one team did the opposite as another team running the same car before the Spec era took over NASCAR to stop the out of control “cheating or should I say creative intrepidations of the rules”. Just trying to find a few pictures of Tim Richmond’s ride has been a some what frustrating journey to date, but I’m not giving up by any means.

joel

I read an article about Smokie Yunick; now there’s a man who knew every cheating trick, in the book, well most likely he wrote the book.

Jesper,
Back in Smokey’s day, I was really a big Nascar fan and Smokey was already a legend for being at the forefront to push the rules, and invent a lot of new ones.

joel

1 Like

Very nice pair of kits Joel, 2 Chevies, my work here is done! :sunglasses:

Cheers, D

Well postie bought this today. Quite a small box, but pretty deep. Haven’t looked inside yet as I cant get the lid off :joy:.
IMG_1474

4 Likes

D,
I never thought of that. But being a Ford man, sooner or later I’ll pick up a few. The trouble is that Salvino jr doesn’t seem to have any Fords at the moment.

joel

Andy,
Wow!! The King. You can’t go wrong with a Richard Petty build. All time Nascar record of 200 wins.

joel

1 Like

Meet the King at his race shop in Randleman around ‘92-‘93 timeframe. My uncle had gotten the Pontiac Petty Grand Prix edition. He got the visor signed. I was in awe as a kid.

Hi again

A package arrived from Moebius Models today - rather on the large side for just a replacement rear window for my Chrysler 300! :slightly_smiling_face:

As hoped, a pristine new clear part was there:

But the box also contained a really nice surprise - Moebius very generously also sent their 1966 Ford F-100! :beer::

So, a big thank you to Moebius Models! :slightly_smiling_face: I’ll get the review of the Chrysler 300 published as soon as I can, and then do likewise with the Ford pickup.

All the best

Rowan :beer:

4 Likes

Rowan, nice one on Moebius for sorting out your rear vision issues and on top of that they even sent you an apologue in the form of a rather nice looking F-100. Love a pick up or should that be a ute for D :slight_smile:

Now seeing this I’ll have to look around for one of these.

A ute has the steering wheel on the other side of the cab.
This one is made for driving on the right side of the road, not the other side :wink: :grin:

That’s not a ute . . . . . THIS is how you do utes! :sunglasses: :upside_down_face:

1 Like