What the postman brought today (AutoModeler)

Rowan,
The replacement glass looks perfect, and the bonus kit really says a lot about their customer service.

Looking forward to reading both of your reviews.

joel

@Merlin , outstanding customer service from Moebius, it doesn’t get much better than that!

Cheers, D

Hi Joel and Damian

I should pay credit to Moebius for packing the replacement windscreen fantastically well too. Honestly, if it had been damaged in transit, anyone would have been forgiven for thinking there was more than Sodd’s Law going on with my Chrysler - you’d have to conclude the kit was jinxed!

The Ford F-100 is an extra-nice surprise because, in all my years of modelling, I’ve never tackled a kit of a pickup truck.

All the best

Rowan :beer:

1 Like

Hpiguy did a build review of the kit. I did like his wheel sander trick, seems so simple. The kit looks very nice. Saw both the Custom and flare side kit at the hobby store yesterday. I think I might get the step side today. Look forward to seeing what you make of it.

1 Like

Hi Ryan

Thanks for the link. It’s great to see how well the kit builds up. :beer:

Wow! And I thought my spray booth could do with a new filter! I don’t think I’ve ever seen one as caked in paint as that shown in the video - it’s a wonder it still manages any air flow at all… :worried:

All the best

1 Like

I also was absolutely amazed that any of the paint vapors and fumes could actually find their way out the back of the paint booth via the exhaust fan. Just wondering if the guy actually wears a respirator and at least one glove for the hand that holds the car paint stand.

joel

Can anyone explain why word wrap doesn’t always work correctly for me on the new site? I’ve never had this issue any where till now on the new site.

joel

Word wrap, or maybe automatic linebreak?

I figured it out, at least partially, by editing your posts above.
I removed the sillyness from the first post by killing all of the blank spaces in front of (to the left of) “I also was absolutely …” and then I confirmed the result by adding those blank spaces in front of “Can anyone explain …”
I’ll leave it to you to suppress the blanks I added :wink:
Pointless text with a bunch of leading blanks and it seems that I have to add more pointless text to awaken the scroll field, hiho hiho …
Pointless text with one less leading blank and another string of wasted characters just to show that this line does not awaken the scroll field monster from its slumber

The preview pane to the right will switch to grey background when you add one blank too many.
I do not have the slightest idea about why this “feature” exists, I simply note that it does exist and what triggers it.
Over and Spaced Out / Robin

Robin,
Thanks for the help. I’m still confused about what I’m doing wrong that causes the issue. I was able to fix your example, but not sure how to prevent it from happening again.

joel

Somehow, in some way or manner, you manage to insert too many blanks (space bar) at the beginning of the line of text.

Robin,
I do have a nasty habit of hitting the space bar more then I should. I’ll work on it. And thanks for the help and info.
joel

Hi Joel

I seriously hope he does wear a proper mask, because most of what he’s spraying must surely be coming back at him rather than out of the vent.

Dear old Steffen ribbed me once about wearing a mask as well as having a spray booth, but when you see the muck that collects in the filters, it’s a reminder that you can’t be too careful. Whatever type of paint it is (nominally “safe” or otherwise) - it would be coating your lungs.

All the best

Yeah his booth was very different. Best of luck to him.

I did pick up with the ‘66 Flare side.

The one downside of the kit and it is probably just me is the lack of color callout and standard paint manufacturer color matches like I see in other kits.

3 Likes

Rowan,
I’m not that sure that he actually does and it’s just voice overs that we hear. He never mentions one, never wears any protective gloves, and you can usually see paint fumes just floating in the booth. So I’m going to assume that the filter if there is actually one, is so clogged, it’s next to useless.

What I can’t understand is that with all the information on the various modeling sites, and You Tube videos on how to properly and safely air brush, his protocols are literally next to none.

joel

Not next to none, he has a paint booth. Problem solved. :joy:

Looking at a few videos. It’s probably not a paint booth but more of a video/light box to focus the filming. He seems to always have music dubbed in when spraying.

Tank_1812,
That makes it even worse. He’s spraying in a very enclosed area where the paint fumes have literally no where to go but back out into the room, then the entire house.

joel

I bought my first car kits of the year yesterday, probably more amazingly they were from the LHS. Doing my bit to keep them in business but they seem to do be doing pretty well.
The two cars are at opposite ends of the spectrum. One seemed a bargain, the other expensive. They were both the same price.
First up, the ultra modern car, Tamiya’s Senna McLaren.

The sprues look amazing in the box. Should be a straightforward build.
The other I bought having seen a few appear on this blog in the last few weeks. I would never have looked before but I bought this one because at least I heard of the driver. Carl Yarborough in an Oldsmobile

As Andy said earlier, very difficult to get the lid off but there is lot packed in there. I guess for Salvinos this model does several different versions since the kit has six different chrome bumpers and about four different grills.

cheers
Michael

4 Likes

Awesome hauls!!! I’ve been eyeing those Salvino kits.

Just got this in the mail after being on pre-order for over a month now.

and to go along with it…

3 Likes

Has any heard of someone making the door/s open on a Moebius truck kit? Seems possible but google didn’t show anyone else trying it that I found.

Michael,
Now there’s a great haul, and as you said, from the complete opposite sides of the car spectrum for sure in every sense of the word.

I’ve been eyeing the McLaren Senna for quite some time, but since I’ve yet to build a street version or car as yet, it’s still on my gotta buy list before I’m to old to remember what one does with these kits.

Now the Jr. Johnson Racing team is as famous as their driver back in '78: Cale Yarborough, two of the original Good Old Boys for sure. What’s been confusing me about the Salvino jr kits is that that some are made from highly modified Monogram molds, and the newest ones are basically from their molds, those cars are designed to cover a multitude of different models/years for that particular make. But some are 1/24 scale while others are 1/25 scale, so one needs to watch AM decals and parts. Side by side one can easily see the differences in overall size. All the newer kits come with Powerslide decals that are printed by Cartograf, which is a big bonus if you ask me.

Joseph, In American Muscle I’m a Ford man pure and simple. 1st car my Dad ever bought was a 1954 Ford Fairlane. I just loved that car with 3 on the column. As for me, after my MGB days I went Pony Car with a 1970 Ford 302 Mustang Hatchback. Needless to say I’m looking forward to following your build.

joel