What the postman brought today (AutoModeler)

David,
Interesting concept. Looking forward to following your build, especially the custom made decals.

joel

Something a bit different arrived today, another pre-loved kit but complete and unstarted.

Plan is for this one to be finished as a re-purposed farm hack, maybe in a nice beaten up yellow with some of the OD and some rust showing through.

CJRef01

Of course, it will be a dual-build alongside this one (already in the stash).

Cheers, D

5 Likes

If building the 1st yellow Jeep, that front tow bar was mod that also had a rear change as well. There was a discussion on missing lynx allied within the past year about that as I recall. I can look for for that if you need that information.

I won’t be modeling a specific vehicle, these are just references for motivation, paint colour and weathering.

1 Like

D,
I’ll be looking forward to your little mini jeep build for sure. Interesting that the jeeps are all in 1/24 scale as I would have thought that they Army Jeep would have been in 1/35 scale.

joel

Joel, there are tons of 1/35 Jeep kits out there, only a few in 1/24. I think in 1/24 most are Italeri and Hasegawa, with a couple of odd older ones still kicking around.

Cheers, D

D,
That’s what I meant. To me those early generation jeeps are military related and I would expect them to be in 1/35 scale. But being in 1/24 scale, they’re definitely targeting the auto guys.

joel

This paint came this week.

Never used this make before.
D thanks for setting this Postman page up!
:v:

2 Likes

Turned up today. Only ordered just over a week ago form HLJ, amazing service.
New boxing (not new tool) of the Fujimi Porsche 917K. Box cover picture leaves a lot to be desired.

Andy :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Ok, I couldn’t help myself. These 1/12 scale kits just don’t pop up very often. This one is pre-loved with the engine halves cemented together, otherwise complete and untouched, and the price was right.

Cheers, D

Andy,
That’s one of the standard Porsche 917K releases that Fujimi has used for years. The picture is Tetsu Ikuzawa’s car for the final 1971 japanese series. It’s also the ugliest picture that they could have used for sure. Talk about super croping!!

Fujimi still issues the stardard kit for the Gulf Wyler team cars, Team Martini, and the kit you have. The major issue with these kits is that there’s absolutely no upper engine fan part but rather just a plastic cover plate that was 100% fictional as their way to cover the gaping hole.

I built this kit several years ago and to this day that plate still annoys the heck out of me. They do offer the Martini version both as the standard kit and for more money one with a fan cover plate and some added PE. With that being said, it does still build up to a rather nice display piece. Here’s mine that I converted to a early Martini team car.

Great shipping time. How was the kit shipped?

joel

D,
That’s a great kit for sure. But my favorite is the super rare in the real world 1966 split rear window Vette that even I wanted but not with a 427 as you just drove from gas station to station.

joel

1 Like

Hi Joel,
I do like the look of the 917K, and didn’t want too do the Gulf one, as that seems to be the most popular, so as soon as they released this boxing with the Porsche in Green I had to have it.
I take it there is no A.M parts for depicting the fan available?
Stunning build Joel, you should really start putting your cars onto the front page of AutoModeler for everyone’s enjoyment.
It was shipped by airmail, and I have had stuff shipped from within the UK that have took longer :joy:.

1 Like

Scalemates is your friend when you are looking for AM parts sets. Just look up the kit you are building and scroll down to the bottom of the listing.

Great looking car, but seriously average box art Andy! I’m looking forward to your build starting in a few days, perhaps a dual photo feature with yours and Joel’s once you’re done?

Cheers, D

Cheers D, l but l ready did that, couldn’t see anything that looked like the fan bit, so like Joel I might just bite the bullet.
Probably wont get started for a couple of weeks yet, as I already have two kits on the bench atm, which need to get finished, as I have far too many shelf queens already :joy:.

1 Like

A small delivery arrived the other day from LeMans decals.

Two sets for the Jaguar XJ220 and a set for the Porker 911 GT1

Now these decals look nice however there is one problem that I see, no instructions, so no colour call outs or decal placement guide!

Oh and Joel I agree your 917 is a beauty.

Luciano,

Thanks so much for your thumbs up on my 917K it’s much appreciated.

I share your frustration about so many and your AM decals in particular not coming with any kind of instructions or even a picture. Even Indy Cal most often comes with no placement guides and the decals I buy aren’t usually the same ones as in the kit. At least they started to show a picture of the car/decal on their site. You might want to check the LeMans decal site as a starting point.

on the 911 GT I noticed that the #6 car is for the 1998 Silverstone race, not LeMans. I tried to do a few Google searches for that car at the race but came up empty. Will try to find out what I can.

joel

Hi Joel,
Profil24 do this car as a complete multimedia kit but again no colour call outs although they state it was Silverstone, Laguna SECA and Le Mans test. Still I have found photos but some of the advertising is different. Checking, I think the green is matched to Jever although it may be slightly darker.

Oh I’ve sent a question about the colour to Le Mans decals.

2 Likes

Luciano,
With those pictures you should have enough to laydown the proper decals. As you said the sponsor decals are different depending on the race. That was true then as it is today. Nascar is the biggest example of that as it’s not uncommon for a car to change major sponsor for a race or only sign the sponsor for X number of races, so the car is completely different. Just try to be consistent to one picture for sponsors. And even if you change a few, no one will ever know. As for the color I’m assuming that it’s a restoration, so the color could very well be off, or that the car never really matched the exact green on the can. Emailing Profil24 is a great move for sure.

And speaking of Profil24, I’ve been looking at their Porsche 911 & Aston Martin GT3 cars. Both are multimedia kits. I’m just concerned how accurate the bodies are since from the video he has online, it seems that he just carves the master from pictures. For kits that cost north of $150 each, close just isn’t what I’d expect.

joel

Joel, don’t, I’ve needed a bib after checking out the Profil24 site as I’ve been dribbling all over the 2020 Aston Martin Le Mans car and the old Alfa’s.
I’ll wait a while to see if I hear back about the colour, my next step may be to contact Jever and see if they can help, it appears that there were two cars. Car 5 was white while car 6 was green, trust me to pick the hard one.