What the postman brought today (AutoModeler)

David,
What class and car did you drive in SCCA?

joel

I started in Solo II and Solo National events with an '86 Capri 5.0 in FS and worked it into DSP. I ran in New England Region Club Racing in the same Capri in FP for a couple events after getting my license. Work and family got in the way.

7 Likes

Not a chance, in hell, that’s ever gonna happen. :laughing:

D,
My wife gave up even asking what’s in all those boxes that keep on showing up at the front door. And that’s after I promised her that I’d have to stop buying models after models for my retirement, as i’m into year 3 and certainly not getting any younger.

Just can’t help myself as i’m too old to change my ways.

joel

2 Likes

I’ll stop, buying kits, when my wife drops buying shoes.

1 Like

I think I am with Jesper on this. We both get a fair number of boxes at the door. We don’t usually ask each other what’s in them, but mine are always the same - kits, supplies or books!

1 Like

Jesper,
I’m betting on your wife to outlast you.

Joel

Keeping the postie in a job :slight_smile:

We have a Volvo, yes a Volvo, I own one (not a 240) and have had several in the past love them. Missed the Tamiya Volvos which go for stupid money on eBay, saw one the other day £90 ($126) and it sold at that price!
We also have another rally car a VW Polo then the Tamiya Mustang and for the trucking campaign a Abarth racing team truck.

5 Likes

Looking forward to seeing that build, I really like the scheme.

Ryan, the box art is for the commercial sale trucks of which there were 140 if memory serves me correct, the Abarth racing team truck had a slightly different scheme with black wheels with a red pin stripe around the edge, the scheme is included in the kit and that is the scheme I’ll be going with.

Race team truck

Commercial truck

2 Likes

Both schemes look great.

Very nice selections to add to the stash there Luciano, definitely a need for speed theme going on!

Great to see that you sourced the Arbath truck for the group build as well, I’m looking forward to following that build. It should be very interesting.

Cheers, D

Littorio,
Now there’s a really nice model delivery for sure. ( I keep on forgetting to post the pictures of my new decals).

The VW Belkin kit should prove to be a great build blog as I hear that they’re not the easiest of kits to build. But it’s worth it with the Red Bull markings. The Volvo is an interesting choice as I can’t recall ever seeing one built. As for the Tamiya GT4 Mustang, I’ve had the kit since it 1st came out, but no matter how many decal sheets I buy to replicate one team car after another, I still haven’t seen one that screams: Build Me !! as yet, but I’m getting closer.

I’m not a truck kind of guy, but that racing truck sure does look interesting. Like D, I’ll be following the Truck GB from the sidelines.

Joel

Thanks all.

Last one for a while arrived and this one is for Joel. I’m not a huge Porker fan but liked the look of this in the colour scheme, also a pink one but missed out on the auction bid for that one.

Now to find the correct shade of blue paint as it is listed as a mix in the instructions - any ideas?
Zero don’t have a paint listed but it may be a match for one of the other pale blue paints.

2 Likes

Littorio,
Great curbside kit of the Porsche 962C. I’ve got the sprint short track version in my stash for a build this year.

The issue with finding the correct pre-mixed color of paint for the pale Blue is that the Nisseki Trust car was raced for the 1991 season in Japan by a Japanese team as well in the '91 LeMans race at Sarthe (the actual name of the track). The blue color went from a darkish blue to what I call a baby blue through various Porsche endurance cars. My guess is that the paint color was mixed to match Trust’s main corp color.

I checked Gravity of Spain and Scalefinishes and neither has a listing for it. So you’re going to have to mix your own, or come close to it from what’s available, and Gravity of Spain has dozens and dozens of shades of blue.

Here’s a few more pictures of both the same car and other team cars, you can see that that blue is completely different. Could be a color shift in the film. But I’m thinking that Hasegawa wanted the car’s colors to be a little more brighter.

download (1) download

Joel

1 Like

I ordered this kit for the next group build Heart of the Beast. Looks pretty good and can’t wait to start. Just came in the mail today, just in time.

1 Like

David,
Excellent choice of subject for sure. One can’t ever have enough Porsches in one’s stash. And as for the kit, it’s a Tamiya kit, so it’s going to be a great build for sure.

joel

Thanks Joel, Hasegawa mix the colour as 80% sky blue + 20% white + a drop of yellow. I’ll take a look at the options and go for one that looks to my eye as near as possible from the bottle, but that’s a little bit down the line at the moment as there are loads on the bench (Modelgeek) ahead of any new builds.

I have a friend who started an army during lockdown just as I did with a promise that once lockdown is over we would meet up for a game, so I need to get my army finished.

Thanks Joel. I have a 911 RSR by Fujimi sitting here, too, but I want to turn it to a “personal” sponsored car with my own decals and ideas later this year.