What the postman brought today (Modelgeek)

Sensible plan, and its not a bad size and I do like the look of it.

1 Like

I think there was a webpage explaining the design. The “paint cup” I believe is the planetary colonizer lander and the “trigger” is the ship’s bridge, but I’m guessing here.

It’s not a space battleship so in ways it has functionality as a research spaceship…and looks the part as an airbrush too.

1 Like

My local store had a 90% discount sale. I don’t play the game, I just couldn’t resist getting some fantasy figures.

5 Likes

Open those boxes and show us the details :grin:

2 Likes

I apologize that it took me so long. Of course here are some pictures. There is loads of terrain cards, rules, character cards ect. but here are the miniatures. There are 52 total but because it is for wargaming there are duplicates. There is 21 unique sculpts, I placed all the others behind the giants. Hope its what you wanted to see. Stay awesome.

5 Likes

Thanks for the shots! Looks like you need to invest in some primer :grin:

1 Like

Joining my fleet today, Revells Kazon Torpedo.

Box has seen better days, but everything inside is present and correct. Moulding looks quite sharp. Makes me wish Revell had done a few more ships from Voyager and Babylon 5. Unlike the Raider (which I’m currently building for the Sci-Fi campaign) Maquis fighter and Voyager itself, Revell have never reissued this kit since the late 90’s.

As a subject, it’s a bit of an oddity. The ship is essentially a single-use boarding ship, ramming it’s target like a kamikaze, punching through the hull and disgorging a boarding party. I think it had less than a minute of airtime in just one episode.
It will make an interesting addition to the collection.

7 Likes

Single-use boarding ships always seemed a waste of resources to me. But I guess if they can’t guarantee enough strength to penetrate you’ll lose them anyway.

1 Like

I think you’re right. There’s also a huge risk that the crew will be turned into mince when it hits!
It sort of fits with the idea of the Kazon being desperate space pirates and scavengers. I’ll have to rewatch the episode because I can’t remember what they after or trying to achieve with it.
I always thought the the organ harvesting Vidiians were a much more interesting and creepy enemy in Voyager. Would be interesting to see them again.

I would think people scavenging for resources would be more conservative with the resources they had available, but I guess you have to spend money to make money.

I used to play the old collectible card game and the Vidiians were an odd faction to play.

1 Like

Nice haul Stephen. :+1: Makes me wish I had bought a few more copies of the B5 Starfury back in the day. I loved that show and still rate it as one of the best Sci Fi shows of all time. :heart_eyes: (Apparently a reboot is in the works, but nothing is ever as good as the original :face_with_peeking_eye:).

Looking at the display shelf of the Starfury I built way back in the late 90’s I would love to re-visit the kit and build a new one with the skills I’ve since learnt. But with the prices of what’s left available on ebay being nothing short of extortion, those kits are now more collectable than ever and better off left un-built… And Revell declined my offer to buy several kits should they ever re-issue the kit :joy: (Which they won’t)

4 Likes

Received this one today to add to the collection.

6 Likes

That’s a nice Black Omega.
I was lucky to grab a couple over the years. A couple are part started, so might explain why I managed to get them at a reasonable price.

I always thought Warner handled the licensing of that show badly. There was supposed to be a space-combat sim released for PC in the late 90’s by Sierra Studios. At the last minute, Warner pulled the plug. Rumour has it that the finished game was a matter of months from completion and release.
Maybe if the reboot is a success, there might be interest enough to see some license renewals and Revell will reissue the Starfury, but I’m not holding my breath.

Thankyou Stephen :blush:

Unfortunately I built her back before I knew about clear coats and decals (before the internet) and they’re all beginning to lift…:disappointed:

Yer, unfortunately the licensing got a bit messed up… Revell had plans to release both the Whitestar and Earth Force destroyers as kits but poor sales of the Star Fury and station squashed those plans…

From what Revell told me, I got the impression they no longer hold the licence so who knows…? :thinking:

1 Like

Babylon 5 had some really good looking ships. The Whitestar is high up on my wishlist along with the Earth Force cruiser and destroyer.
I know Warp Models did some resin ones back in the day, but they were quite expensive and had some moulding issues from what I remember reading.

I’ve got two of theirs in the stash, the Oberth-Class and future Enterprise D ‘Best of Both Worlds’ conversion. Not bad, I’d say the Oberth is the better of the two. Lots of airbubbles and big casting lugs to deal with.

1 Like

Doing a bit of digging into the episode, they were using it to steal transporter technology from the Voyager. One of the big plot points for Voyager (initially at least), was that they had found themselves in a section of the galaxy far less advanced than the Alpha quadrant. Transporters had not been seen and the Kazon were desperate to get it.
As non-sensical as it is in reality, the Torpedo is high risk but with high reward. I’d imagine it was a one off. Built from an old worn out fighter, stripped of everything but thrusters, minimal shielding, life support and the inertial dampeners to keep the crew alive long enough to do the job.
If it fails, there’s nothing lost and it’s less mouths to feed. If it works, they gain a huge technical superiority over their rivals.

It’s quite fun to overanalyze fictional spaceships!

3 Likes

Saw this Type-4 Shuttle on eBay and put in a bid. Wasn’t expecting to win, but turned out I was the only bidder. Was wondering what I had let myself in for!

It’s actually really bloody nice! Little bit of clean up in a few places, but looks like a fun little kit

I might have to look at what else they do.

9 Likes

That looks like a nicely detailed shuttlecraft Stephen, congrats on the bidding, :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:.

I’ve been tempted by Cozmic’s 1/72nd scale Space 1999 stuff to go with my Eagle collection,…

…but I think that the Eagles are nearer 1/76th scale, and the prices on eBay are astronomical (no pun intended) when one adds in the postage, so I’m reluctant to risk it for a swisskit, :thinking: :slightly_frowning_face:.

They have a great range of subjects.

G, :beer:

5 Likes

Yeah they’ve got a lot of interesting stuff. The diorama and hangar equipment would be very useful for SF dioramas.

I’m tempted by a couple of the other shuttles. Very cool they’re in 1/72. Along with the Runabout I have in the stash, I could easily build myself a nice little collection of Starfleet auxiliaries.
Will see how this one builds first though.

1 Like

Look forward to seeing how it builds up Stephen, please keep us posted, :slightly_smiling_face:.

G, :beer:

1 Like