What's your funniest modeling 'DOH moment?

:rofl: :joy: :sweat_smile: :rofl: :smiley: :smiling_face: Ya killin me Smalls, ya killin me!
The surprising part was you were brushing your teeth :joy: :sweat_smile: :rofl: :rofl: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Frankly Iā€™ve never had such absurd issues when modelling, mine has been nothing but perfection at all times! If ya buy that, I got a bridge in AZ to sell ya, HA!

Ya, betwixt the carpet monster and PE flying, fiddly bits lost to the abyss, and paint spilling all over the bench, Iā€™ve had it pretty easy, lol.

4 Likes

My worst ā€œDā€™Oh! momentā€ hasnā€™t happened yetā€¦ Stay tuned! :tv: :face_with_spiral_eyes:

ā€”mike

1 Like

My worst ā€œDā€™Oh! momentā€ hasnā€™t happened yetā€¦ Stay tuned! :tv: :face_with_spiral_eyes:
ā€”mike

This guy models!

3 Likes

About 17-18 summers ago, I decided to airbrush a model in the garage using my 40 gallon compressor that I used to run a motorcycle tire changer, a motorcycle lift and various air tools that I used for side work.

I canā€™t remember what I was shooting, but I got everything ready to paint and hooked up an in-line regulator between the shop air and my trusty Aztec airbrush.

I pulled the trigger on the air brush and nothing happened, no paint no air. Thinking I had the regulator turned down too far, I gave the knob a twist and pulled the trigger again.

BOOM! The cap flew off the paint cup and hit the ceiling of the garage and clattered into the corner. The cartridge tip was clogged.

I used two Aztec airbrushes for a couple more years rotating one in for warranty repairs while I used the other.

8 Likes

I suppose, another Doh moment, one of my own, was in my youth. Maybe a pre-teen. I had built the Airfix B17 and was ready to paint. Finding my trusty hairy stick was leaving brush marks in the Humbrol silver paint, I got the brilliant idea of using a Cotton bud (Q Tip) for wider coverage. Looked greatā€¦ until it dried and all the cotton fluff became noticeableā€¦

7 Likes

About a billion years ago when I was young, I went to the local hobby shop where the ownerā€™s teenage son was holding the fort. He was building a kit to pass the time and popped out back to do a quick spray job. When he came back in his face was completely covered, except for where his glasses protected his eyes from the exploding rattle can - he took off his glasses and looked like a masked superhero!

7 Likes

Sounds like a bad case of ā€œRacoon Faceā€. :laughing:

4 Likes

As a boy I had a die cast white metal artillery piece with spoked wheels as common on US Civil War field pieces. One spoke was missing on one wheel and I thought the wheel would look better ( more symmetrical) if I cut out the rest of the spokes to match ā€¦.

3 Likes

Do you remember what colour he used? Must have been quite a sight! And, if I may ask: what was your response?

2 Likes

About 20 years ago I was building a 1/48 B-17 bomber, I didnā€™t have an airbrush.
But I had a small airless sprayer and spray gun, so thought I could use this to spray olive drab on my model seeing it was so big.
I sprayed the model which came out great, but used a lot of paint, then thought I would give the spray gun a good clean.
Got a bucket and mixed up some acid I use to clean my work tools every now and then.
Left the spray gun in overnight, in the morning put my glove on and couldnā€™t find the gun in the bucket
Blamed a few people in the household cursing and swearing.
Later on that day I tipped out the bucket and in the bottom was a spring and a washer.
The gun was aluminum.
Yesā€¦ the acid had completely dissolved the gun!!! and
it wasnā€™t a cheap gun eitherā€¦
Lesson learned

ā€¦

9 Likes

Hi Barry, welcome to the forum. I hope you like it here :slight_smile:

Man, must you have felt like a dork! Never heard of someone dissolving a whole airgun!!!

1 Like

I gave a 95% complete Trumpeter Pantsir a nice thick clear coat for decals. Forgot to mask the windows.

5 Likes

Ouch!

1 Like

Thank youā€¦ have been reading all the useful hints and model builds on here for quite a while and have noticed how helpful you guys are - itā€™s a great site.
Yep, certainly felt like a dork alrightā€¦

5 Likes

Hi Barry, welcome to Armorama! Great story!

I think it was German Grey. The response from me and my teenage friend (we all went to the same school - fortunately this happened in summer break!) was a predictable but completely unappreciated howl of laughter! Eventually we calmed down and dug out what little sympathy a teenager can muster.

Best part was that spray cans back then were all enamels, so unless he wanted to bathe in turps it was there for the rest of the week! It stopped being funny after a few days, when enough had worn off through frequent scrubbing, but the swearing each time we saw him was impressiveā€¦

3 Likes

Can imagine the looks of scorn that were directed at you for quite some time thereafter!!! I think I would not have responded differently, even now!!!

3 Likes

is Turn-ups one word or two? :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Iā€™d say my biggest one was the Leopard i wrote about in the armor thread. Upper hull was terribly warped so i decided to do the warm water/heat the plastic/clamp and straighten. Choose too small of a pot and while dunking rested the back edge of the hull against the bottom adding a bigger disaster. But in the end i won it back over.

Second was thinking i was smarter than Dragon instructionsā€¦was building their Stug III Ausf G. First kit with any sort of interior so i decided to build up the gun lower assembly, interior and upper deck and hull. Discovered just how difficult it was to now fish the the mostly completed gun back thru the opening on the upper structure. I ended up shelving it for months out of frustration and eventually went back and figured out the angle of the dangle and minor trimming to get it to mate and then mounted. And when i mean months im thinking a year of fiddling for a bit, getting mad and setting just off to the side so the da%n thing stared at me, daringvbme to figure it out. Learned my lesson w them, dry fit dry fit dry fit and dont think you ā€˜know betterā€™ cause their tolerances and logic work in a different universe.

4 Likes

When I was a much younger and newer builder I was building a kit. Must have bumped the table too much and sent my hobby knife rolling to the edge. Andā€¦ā€¦ the stitches were small at lest.

3 Likes