What's your funniest modeling 'DOH moment?

Many, many years ago I brush painted a Tiger 1 with Floquil RR paint. No primer, just bare plastic. That’s when I learned what “crazed paint” was.

3 Likes

Many years ago, I bought a rattle can of clear coat to prep a plane for decaling (can’t remember what kit it was). I hadn’t really read the label. I saw “clear coat” and thought, “Yep, we’re good”.
Sprayed a clear lacquer over enamels. I was still learning…
But it did give a really impressive crackle finish.

3 Likes

Carefully lining up a B737-200 fuselage for that elusive perfect first time join, wicking Tamiya Extra Thin cement in like a surgeon and trying to stay perfectly still for five minutes for that section to set, and then finding I had a finger across the join line and thanks to capillary action left a superb fingerprint impression in styrene.

5 Likes

Seems like that happens on every dang one of my builds at some point.

1 Like

Go complete idiot like I’ve done a few times and use Mr Cement SP Black glue to get that freshly dusted by the FBI look on the fingerprint.

5 Likes

I’ve been there Dude, makes a build kinda personal but, hell its annoying… I feel ya pain… :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

Probably not the funniest DOH moment, but certainly a real one. About 7 years ago, l started building 1/16 M923 truck. Largely a blown up version of a 1/35 Revell kit. In the process, I decided to make the tires as close to scale as I could and used dimensions from a Michelin data sheet rather than measuring the Revell tires. Then after years of work the model was finished. The last job was placing the spare tire. Guess what, there wasn’t enough space left. The 1/16 Michelin is larger than the rescaled Revell tire. Forgotten to dry fit. Fortunately, the Dutch language is rich in strong words.

7 Likes

Welcome to the Illustrious Club of FingerPrinters (ICFP) :grin:
Been there, done that …
Another model builder managed to fingerprint himself with CA over an
already applied decal …

3 Likes

Had one a few days ago, was tired and should have went to bed…instead I glued the main gun mount for this artillery piece on upside down! I put it on the cradle bottom instead of top.

Happened to catch it shortly after and fix it.

Definitely was time to sleep :sleeping: :zzz:

6 Likes

I was putting together a small item, that becomes larger, as items are added at strange angles, the fitting of one larger item, that has too go round the other items to connect top to bottom, but not be part of it ?.

2 Likes

Yesterday, painting a Pz III in DAK RAL 8020 & 7027 makes my list of Homer Simpson moments.

I knew DAK RAL 8020 & 7027 were low contrast with each other and hard to see in B&W photos. When the sprayed on the Pz III model they ended up being difficult to distinguish like on an actual vehicle.

However as another member pointed out in B&W the contrast looks about right.

I’d expected the colors to pop a more on a scale model etc due to scale effect etc.

4 Likes