Winter Wonderland

Before applying the winter camouflage, I painted the model with the classic pattern RLM 70, RLM 71 and RLM 65 underside …

by Rodolfo Masti, on Flickr

6 Likes

Has the deadline been extended to April 30th?

1 Like

It has.

1 Like

Oh no way!

Need to redirect effort and finish my truck.

Cool…won’t finish my diorama in time…but I think I can the tank.

th-376685060

5 Likes

Super! Thanks for the extra month.

I’ll take new photos of the touch ups that I did and if I have time, I’ll add decals to my figure.

1 Like

What do you think?

12 Likes

Looks interesting.

1 Like

Looks great and very realistic, Rodolfo! :+1:t2::slightly_smiling_face: Did you use chipping effects before adding the white?

Made some progress.

8 Likes

Ok gentlemen!
One week left to wrap things up!

2 Likes

ICM Studebaker U56 U4

Note to self: When someone is kind enough to give you 30 extra days to finish a project, do not drop everything to work on two completely different projects. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Decals are on and sealed. Interior is painted except for the steering wheel. Bed and frame are joined. Painted parts are prepped for final assembly. :slightly_smiling_face:

The plan is to seal inside the cab, assemble the cab, mate the cab to the frame, then whitewash the truck. Somehow. I have no experience painting whitewash and my airbrush is horribad so… :flushed:

Oil paints? Boys and Girls, it may be time for another experiment.

6 Likes

The extra month gave me time to refine things.

I added decals to the top, sides, front, and rear. I added snow pigments to the boots and knees on down. Finally, I touched up the snow and painted over the copper streaks that impinged on the white snow.

I’m finally calling this one complete. I’ll leave the decals clean (I know that I can dirty them with a wash) as they’ve just been painted onto the dirty armored fighting suit.

11 Likes

Oils will take a very long time to dry and attract dust. If you are using a brush, you are better off using craft paint.

@Damraska Interesting “smokey” pattern. What made you decide to do it this way?
@Trisaw Looks good! Glad you made it as it is an unusual subject.

2 Likes

@SSGToms Thank you for the information and advice! If the oil paint experiment fails, I will mask the model with Blu-Tac and hose it down with white Vallejo Model Air.

@RonW I don’t know the right way to make models so everything is an experiment. Most fail. In this case, the idea is to combine many shades of dirt and olive drab beneath a very worn layer of whitewash. Unfortunately, my airbrush is not up to the challenge with me driving.

2 Likes

I have used this techique for whitewashing with acrylic paint and water with great success:

white wash technique with acrylic paint

1 Like

I am just finishing up the figures…going to the open house at the US Cavalry and Armor Museum this weekend…so do not know if the figures will be completed in time.
At least with the tank, I am calling this one complete.
Great campaign everyone, lots of great models.

The handles to the .50 is in the hands of one of the figures…lol.

7 Likes

Nice finish!
You used bicarbonate for snow?

No…maybe that is what is in it though…it is the Tamiya Snow Effects

1 Like