Winter Wonderland

I sure hope so! I will probably not make it for the 1st April unless I rush it. So let’s go with 30th April :slightly_smiling_face:

Here is where my build is. Still quite some smaller details to fit. I will finish the kit in green and seal everything in. Then move the whitewash. My inspiration is the below picture although I am not building that particular plane.

More to follow :slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes

So I call this one done. Its has been an interesting experience to build-up the camo with a thin brush and water thinned paint. Its basically a scaled down version of how the actual camo would have been done IRL.

12 Likes

Got around to work on the panzer IV winterketten tracks.

So much going on, still trying to finish several kits simultaneously.

4 Likes

Looks good, even if the edges look a bit to clean and homogenous. But I guess replicating a winterwash in that scale is even harder then usual.

1 Like

I am unsure if this campaign ends on April 1st or April 30th so I’m assuming it’s April 1st as the deadline timer states. As such, I am essentially finished with my 1/20 resin MaK “Soft Suit, the Next-Generation Fighting Suit” build by Love Love Garden. If there is more time, I might add decals and snow weathering and touch up some of the white and black.

I built up the snow under the right foot to make the figure even. Before, it was lopsided because the 3-D printed base is tiered, printed higher on one side.

The free STL downloaded 3-D printed rifle is printed from @MikeyBugs and is attached with an “electromagnet” on the back, hence no straps. Hey, it’s Sci-Fi after all. :grinning:

9 Likes

Time to Experiment with MiGproductions washable white camo. Hope it works out :crossed_fingers:t2::slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

In progress - so far looking good :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

Fantastic product! Really easy and fast to use. Definitely going to use this again on tanks and other aircraft.

9 Likes

Slowly the plane takes shape …

by Rodolfo Masti, on Flickr

8 Likes

Hi Everyone,

After completing some touch ups, I’m calling this one done!

ICM’s I-16 near the end of winter circa 1941.

This is a nice kit, with only two issues that are easily delt with. The exhaust pipes are near impossible to get into the correct position if one is closing up the engine area, and the other is the delicate landing gear. For the gear, take your time. For the exhausts I chose to replace them with wire inserted after the fuselage was completed, something I was rather pleased with when seeing the outcome.

This was my first attempt at a white washed bird, and the reference photos I used were a bit grainy, though I think I captured the moment of a fading white wash as winter neared its end. I’d recommend this kit to any modeler with a kit or two under their belt, and I’d build another of this historically significant aircraft if time allows.

Thank you for a most interesting campaign! I really like these short fun campaigns, I’m wondering what’s next, Spring Fling?

Till next time, stay safe, wash your hands with soap and water and have lots of fun!

10 Likes

@john41492 Your model, as a whole, looks lovely. The lightly used whitewash finish, with all the subtle mottling, is genuinely convincing and pleasing. Congratulations on finishing and earning your snowman badge!

@SGTJKJ You have strongly piqued my interest in that whitewash stuff. The effect is really interesting.

3 Likes

Thanks Doug! I really like it, though I kind of think it’s ugly, it’s ugly in an astatically pleasing way. The wife thinks it looks cute. While putting it in the case, I realized that I don’t have a shelf dedicated to the Eastern front. Hmmm, a new case? We’ll see. Thanks again, it was a fun paint job!

It kinda looks like Ivan stuck a P-40 in a car crusher, squished it about 1/3 of the way, then changed his mind.

2 Likes

That bird came out great! Everything about it looks disproportionate when compared to the engine.

1 Like

Great job, John!

I went with some heavier weathering for my MiG-3. During my research I found both very pristine looking whitewash and super weathered. I went with the middle ground.

Here is my finished entry. Trumpeters MiG-3. A really nice kit with no issues. The only lack of detail is the cockpit which could benefit from a PE set.
I considered a light dirt wash, but in the end decided against it.

Here is the finished entry :slightly_smiling_face:

IMG_4695

11 Likes

Jesper, I really like how that turned out. Mine kind of started out that way, then I got carried away with the white!

1 Like

I used Migproductions washable white. It really works fantastic. It goes on as paint and is quite durable. But as soon as you add water it is easy to remove. Basically like the real thing. However, I am sure some layers of varnish are necessary if you are going to do weathering on top.

Highly recommended - I need to try it out on a tank as well.

Here are a couple of pictures I used for inspiration.

7 Likes

Ready for the primer …

6 Likes

… and after the first layer of primer…