Winter Wonderland

You know what? I just remembered that I had a Panzer IV that I was going to build as a winter tank; even purchased the Winterketten tracks for it. Took it with me to my family’s holiday reunion, so I’ll have 3 weeks (in between dinners and parties) to put it together.

Guess I’m in now.

6 Likes

Yay!!
Carry on, soldier!

1 Like

Here you really notice the difference between Tamiya and a cheap Chinese copy…

4 Likes

Yeah Bert but it’s scary how close they can get.

2 Likes

This post not intended as part of the group build, as these are already finished models. I am however working on a winter diorama base for the SPG. The whitewash camo is diluted white tempera paint intended to appear as though crudely applied with a mop some time ago, now having aged and weathered in the wet snow. Background (for now) is just a white terrycloth bath towel.

8 Likes

Cool! I like the 10 with the PaK a lot.

2 Likes

Progress on the whitewash, sheets and I tried a new way of making mud.
Too bad the folds disappear on pictures. Guess I need more contrast and less white.

10 Likes

Hi Doug,
The paint scheme was never intended as winter camo. It was used as a measure to distinguish the from German Messerschmitt´s and later in the war to show Allies that they are not German.

4 Likes

Thank you for that clarification!

Until recently, I assumed Swiss Messerchmitt BF 109 high contrast paint schemes were intended to prevent misidentification. While looking for a model for this campaign, I rediscovered these Swiss planes and the service date on the specific plane I posted caused me to question my assumption.

I will select something more appropriate.

Edit: Coming aboard with a Studebaker US6 U4!

My hope is that this model will build up easily and quickly. It should make a good canvas for a winter paint scheme. The kit includes decals for a Polish vehicle in winter whitewash over olive drab so that will be the subject. The painting goal is to achieve a slightly worn whitewash appearance using airbrush shenanigans, blue tac, and the salt technique.

The next three weeks are kinda crazy for me but things should move quickly after that. I have some time today so it just went into the bath tub.

3 Likes

Started the Panzer. Had to get a new pin vise and drill bits, but work was quick.

7 Likes

I will be watching your build with interest. I have the Border version in my stash. What about the zimmerit? Are you going to make your own, use one of the decal sheets, or Atak?

1 Like

The Academy kit came with a Zimmerit kit from DEF Models, so I’ll use that.

1 Like

Further progress on the Panzer IV; turret is assembled and mated to the hull for now. Taking good shape.

7 Likes

Got the hull done today…

8 Likes

Turret’s almost done.

9 Likes

Is it still possible to enroll ? The campaign is shown as expired.

2 Likes

Supposed to end next April, but I think it expired due to not having at least 10 people enrolled.

It may have something to do with how Ron added the first date:

@SSGToms , Matt are you able to fix this for the guys? Cheers.

1 Like

We’re running, so come along!
There were some hickups when creating the campaign, which might be the issue. I did not even notice the “expired”. @SSGToms Any idea what might cause it?

3 Likes

All fixed.

5 Likes