WIP Italeri M985 HEMTT Gun Truck

Yeah, I’d never seen the color go that dark before! I was starting to consider just picking up a rattle can of red primer and using that but I’m glad this worked out. Onward and upward!

I’m going to seal this while I’m working on the tie-downs for the sides of the bed. .022mm solder, a pin vise bit and a little CA. How long could it take?! :rofl: Hmm…is that the rumble of foreshadowing?! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

:beer: :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

The cargo bed is progressing…
I made the new tie-down points out of the afore mentioned .022 mm solder. I think they look OK. They aren’t all perfectly uniform; but still.

I used Tamiya XF-67 NATO Green as the base color. I then put on a light coat of flat varnish and a hairspray coat.

The top coat is Taimya XF-78 Deck Tan.

Hopefully work won’t get in the way too much and I can start chipping and maybe touch up a couple areas. More to follow.

4 Likes

They shouldn’t be uniform after repeated use they bend, and some are missing I think it looks great

2 Likes

Thanks! I was thinking that there would be a fair amount of wear and tear; but you know how the rabid rivet counters get! :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Rivet counters are no match for the average private in military. I cannot count the amount of time as a maintainer that I have walked up to a group of soldiers and had a hard time figuring out how or why what they broke was broke.

1 Like

A private can tear up a crowbar in ten minutes! :crazy_face:

2 Likes

very true

1 Like

Here’s how the scratching and chipping turned out on the bed too.

I didn’t want to get crazy with it since a lot of it is going to be covered up by the gun mounts and gear I’m working on.

3 Likes

Looking good. I like the tie-downs and how the bed turned out.

1 Like

Thanks, Gino! Hairspray chipping is still something I’m pretty new at. It’s a fine line between realistic and overdone.

I guess in the end, it’s only paint! :crazy_face:

:beer::cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

Here are the sides of the cargo bed chipped and dry brushed. I still have to paint the reflectors and side lights.

3 Likes

Looking good Richard, I’m following along in the back ground being no expert but watching as I may try and convert the Academy 1/72 M977 into a guntruck. Not sure if anyone does a conversion set but doesn’t look too hard to scratch a conversion, suppose the hardest bit in 1/72 is finding the weapons.

1 Like

Thanks! I try not to get too heavy handed with weathering. I wanted the tan to look like it was put on in the field. I’ve painted vehicles out in the wild a couple times so I know it shouldn’t be showroom perfect.

Good luck with yours! Feel free to ask any questions here. There are some pretty knowledgeable folks here. I know enough to be dangerous! :crazy_face:

1 Like