Wish List of New Modern Kits for 2021- your top 5?

1 Like

Big fan of the soft-skins myself. Can hardly wait for the RFM JLTV! I like the creativity folks use to get the job done, think SOF-GMV or the BW Fenneck. Maybe a modern Commo truck?

Off-topic. Nice profile pic - wish I were there.

I see that a 3D file catalog contains a very detailed MRZR at a whopping $150 USD price tag to download. Hopefully one day a MRZR will be made as a kit.

As I’m stuck in a 70’s time warp.aka Vietnam war period.1st. A Rone Plow, 2nd. AFV M163. 3rd. Any and all GunTruck mods. 4th.AFV Ontos. 5th.possibly multi pose nam figures like the old airfix ,only in 1/35th… ,and just for s—-ts and giggles,I know not armour but,for any other 67G20 guys out there a 1/35 or even 1/48th Beechcraft U-8 RAR version.

Hi Peter,
There are other cheaper 3D printable MRZR model options:
$95

$50

$48.30

$20.30. Although this one is a 2-seater and not 4.

This one is not MRZR but Dagor A1 (looks pretty cool)
$49

1 Like

I’m not sure if I’ve mentioned this before, and as there are a gazillion posts here I really can’t be bothered to check back, but as it seems to have a new lease of life I’d kill for the M59 APC.

1 Like

As an old 62e20 dozer operator, I’ve begged for years for a Rome Plow or at least a good D7E dozer. Knowing Caterpiller has adeath grip on anything connected to them it would have to come without any logos. They got my hopes up when they came out with the WW2 dozer kits a few years back, but so far nothing modern except the Isreali armored one. Wayne

1 Like

Hi, Brian, didn’t someone scratch-build one in 1/35? M59’s somewhat simpler shape makes it a good scratch-build candidate. I also feel like with the availability of 3D printing, it can be done more easily than ever in the past.

I’m sure they have - produce that boxy shape on an M41 chassis and job just about done I reckon; however, I have problems cutting a straight line in plastic card, let alone any, even simple, construction techniques. I’ll just wait; I must admit I thought it might have appeared in resin by now, after all there’s a perfectly adequate M75 around, not that one leads necessarily to the other by any means.

M59 was quite a big beast in the scheme of things, and of course present in Berlin back in August '61:

1 Like

The M59’s history in Berlin makes it interesting to me as well. My M59 walk around was one of my more thorough ones with the idea of a kit in mind. I got permission from the Curator at Camp Shelby to get on top of it, so all of the measurements and views are quite accurate. I pimped it out to AFV Club. Apparently there was not enough interest. If someone really wants to 3D print it they can contact me.

I’d say try pitching it to Takom. They might be more receptive.

1 Like

Do you know, I can almost imagine the box artwork!

I think manufacturers have a long-running adverse reaction to model kits/figures for the Cold War era. Realistically, “they won’t sell” so they are not going to produce them.

Probably true about the manufacturers and Cold War subjects. But Takom does appear to be bucking that trend lately. Trumpeter has gone full bore with the Soviet stuff and keeps on filling the gaps on that side of the curtain. It’s all good.

1 Like

To be honest Cold War modellers haven’t done that badly over the past few years: several M60s, M65 cannon, several Soviet missiles, French armoured cars, and say, Takom’s recent M114 (which I’m still working on). We’re poorly served for figures that’s for sure but I think overall I’m fairly happy with my Cold War stash - it’s the building that’s the problem(!)

I recently checked my listings and found that the only equipments missing were the M59 APC - as discussed - the AMX 10P APC and the Czech/Polish OT-64; admittedly my stash is limited to MBTs, APCs, Recce, Arty and some soft skins, and I recognise that there will alwys be the esoteric that I’ve missed or am unaware of. I’m not complacent but do feel that we live in good modelling times.

1 Like

Thanks, James!

The MRZRs and DAGOR sure look the part minus the outdated M60 GPMG on the DAGOR.

These 3D catalogs are awesome! I might not have to wait years to purchase what I desire. Thanks for the FYI! :grinning:

Hey Peter,
Dagor file’s price just went down to $34. :smiley:
M60 mgs can be switched out to M240 or M249 in CAD before printing so that’s not a big deal.

I think the future is near when some manufacturers will simply sell CAD files of model kits and modelers will be able to print them with their 3D printer to put together at home. I can see that happening in a decade.

1 Like

I suspect that’s quite prophetic, and will be the way ahead; in a way, it is already happening. Whilst revolutionary, I’m sure we’ll get used to it, but I have no doubt we’ll also complain!

:laughing:
True that - that’s quite prophetic, too, Brian.

2 Likes