1/48 B-17F Build - 303rd BGs Luscious Lady {Continued)

Point taken. I was being a bit petulant, I confess. I prefer the smaller mark on the Noy’s Miniatures image. The Kits-World mark is so large it almost overwhelms the image it’s supposed to advertise. But., you’re correct.

Engines and Wheels - UPDATED!

It’s getting there.

Why does it take so long?

Among other things,

H.G. writes:

Have to grind down the inside nubs of the cowl flaps. They absolutely will not fit otherwise. Slow going and time-consuming, but worth it.

And there is another problem awaiting a solution:

These brass rings are asinine. You’ll never see them, like ever, and they impair the fit, even after grinding cowl hubs.

It is frustrating that all these parts come from the comprehensive Eduard upgrade set for the engines. I suppose you literally can’t have everything, though one wishes they had properly designed for it.

More to follow, “more or less.”

Update:

Well, we see that it is updated, “more or less,” and I won’t ask H.G. how or argue with success.

10 Likes

NIce updates as always and she is looking good with the landing gear taking part now.

What to include in a small dio … very tricky. If it was plain and not overly detailed in all areas, I would say chuck loads at it, refueling, crew jeeps, spare Brownings , bomb carts … you could go crazy.

However, with the absolute biblical detailing that HG has done to get it to this level, on this occasion I would say less is more … for me, a small maint jeep, couple of mechanics on a platform and an engine cowl removed with some tools here and there. Just my thoughts :+1:

3 Likes

Wonderful looking work as always! For the display comments…ps These are from the Belle

2 Likes

More wonderful stuff here Brian .
Regarding the scale of the “ diorama “ …
I like to mount my aircraft models on bases for several reasons. Making the base is fun and allows for a bit of artistic license - I don’t feel constrained by rigid details.
The base makes it easier to handle the model , particularly if antennas and fragile fine details are extant.
I don’t think of them as dioramas really - just an extension of the model but contest rules may say otherwise. I don’t like them too busy as it takes away from the star of the show . I think it is good to include a figure or two ( if the figures are done well ) and a vehicle that most viewers can relate to as it gives a sense of the sizes involved.
I haven’t seen the Noy’s bases in person . Correct me if I am wrong but I think they are printed . They may be very convincing or they may be one dimensional or somewhere in between and I think you need to tread lightly here . I would hate to see the years of dedicated work brought down even a smidge by the display.
If you haven’t already done so check out the 1/48 airfield vehicles offered by Accurate Armour . Largely British stuff - you would know better than I what would be appropriate or not . The Tamiya GMC fuel truck is very nice . I really enjoy the Accurate Armour kits - little jewels and a very pleasant change of pace .
Remember Luscious Lady is the star here and her surroundings should add, not detract. As mentioned above , less is more .
Hope this helps - Richard

5 Likes

Some advance planning for after a safe landing.

As Luscious Lady draws ever closer to completion and an eventual “landing” back in New Jersey – See below! –

(And H.G. checking an engine’s alignment)

it’s time for me to plan for her arrival and display, in my office (for what time I have left to enjoy her proximity).

As I mentioned before, I have found some vendors who make Plexiglas desktop display cases – see, for example, Akrylix. I also managed to source and order the Noy’s Miniature hardstand I prefer.

I want to thank John (Johnnych01) and Richard RDT1953) for their helpful suggestions that “less is more” for a display of this model.

As John puts it:

and as Richard says:

Yeah, I agree. At this point, my inclination is to include the Tamiya Staff Car

as an homage to General Savage in “Twelve O’Clock High.”

twelve-oclock-high-11

I’ve thought about including the Tamiya Fuel Truck off to the side,

but it really isn’t right for a heavy bomber. These were fueled with much larger trucks. See below photo of one.

This Molesworth photo is courtesy of the late David Shelhamer, a 303rd pilot, professional photographer, and contributor to Half A Wing

(yes, that’s him) and if you look closely at the first photo, and I mean real close,

you will see that the “B-17” in the background is really the only YB-40 ever assigned to the 303rd (which, incidentally, never flew an operational mission with the Group).

So, I think I’ll go with the Hasagawa “Follow Me” Jeep

hsgx48-11_0

in the alternative plain markings with radio comm gear.

As for figures, I like the new ICM set.

I like the idea of the second-from-left figure (a stand-in for Gen, Savage?) placed near the staff car and facing the two crewmen in Mae Wests to discuss some “important business” for an upcoming mission while the standing mechanic can be looking up into one of H.G. beautiful wheel wells, and the crouching mechanic can be placed next to the open ball turret – positioned at a 45-degree angle so that viewers can look in and see H.G.'s magnificent, fully detailed interior.

Meanwhile, the two ground crew types that come with the jeep can be placed by it in/near the staff car as part of "Gen. Savage’s entourage.

hsgx48-11_0

It’s not exactly a Shep Payne diorama,

but it’s plausible and works for me.

I hope you agree.

8 Likes

I think you’re dead right, apart from a slight hesitation about whether the jeep’s livery might distract too much? If unavoidable then I’d be trying to fade/weather the red&white down by 50 decibels or more :tumbler_glass:

5 Likes

I agree with you 100%. I’m planning on an alternative, plain OD presentation.

I researched the checkerboard scheme, and it comes from a WWII training field somewhere on the USA homefront. (I forget where, but NOT in this diorama).

6 Likes

Great plan. Think this will enhance the presentation and looking forward to more photos

2 Likes

Glad you like it. My phrase,

is a nod to the Wright-Pat Museum and your enthusiasm for that idea.

2 Likes

That is the perfect composition for the Dio. Also agree with Tim @Dioramartin about the follow me checker board dragging the eye away to much…
If the General is going to be there, just put some stars on a red square and have it as his airfield ride…
Looking forward to seeing the Dio at the end. :+1::+1:

2 Likes

I saw some restored jeeps and trucks at 2022 Oshkosh airshow. Hope these photos might help. Link here
Oshkosh 2022 | Armorama™

1 Like

Thanks for the pictures.

There are precious few photos of 303rd BG ground vehicles, but here are two:

I consider them useful mostly to show the unit markings on the front bumpers of the jeep and the ambulance. One can see both the Group (303) and Sqdn (359 on the jeep; 427 on the ambulance).

I’d like to ask our U.K. and “Commonwealth” friends what kind of British vehicles are on the left side of the photo of the ambulance and control tower. Any guesses about what was carried in those truck tanks?

Certainly not aviation fuel. We can see a large gas tanker to the right in the top photo.

P.S. The Noy’s Miniature Hardstand print arrived all the way from Down Under earlier this week. Gotta love the Internet.

6 Likes

The one truck with the small tanks and soft top looks like it may be a Crossley crash tender - I’ll look a little further.
This vehicle is available from Accurate Armour .
The value of this photo is that it tells us it is possible that British vehicles were used as well as US for your application.

As I said before these are really nice kits .
Hope this helps- Richard

5 Likes

I’ve been lurking with interest. Great work so far.
You could use the Tamiya fuel truck if you wanted. While not the norm smaller fuel trucks were used for B-17’s on occasion.

Or similar.

I had hoped to convert the Atlantis 1/48 kit - the rear of the trailer is close enough to make it feasible, but sourcing the right cab could be tough.
I’ve resigned myself to a 1/72 bomber dio using the excellent Airfix set.
My 1/48 Tamiya tankers, hard and soft cab, will have to settle for a C-47 dio.

5 Likes

Yes, Richard, I agree. RAF Molesworth (USAAF Station 107) was one of the earliest RAF Bases turned over to the Eighth Air Force, so it makes perfect sense RAF vehicles like this were part of the “gift.” We can assume these RAF vehicles served throughout the war. Fun fact: This photo with the Crossley crash tender was taken on Sept. 28, 1944. On that day, the 303rd flew to Magdeburg and lost 11 B-17s to an overwhelming German fighter attack. I think this has something to do with the photo being taken and the fairly large number of people waiting on the control tower for the Group’s return.

The Crossley crash tender is quite complex. Maybe it and the ambulance could go with Vicious Virgin in a second diorama dreamed of at some future date.

3 Likes

Thank you for this info, 18bravo. I suspected as much, but had never seen photos to prove it. Tell me a bit more about the “Atlantis kit” you mention, please. Never heard of it.

1 Like

He may be referring to this one - trailer may work. Also the French company GasoLine make a number of 1/48 resin kits of Allied vehicles.

1 Like

Originally released by Revell around 1956, the cab is a 1949 Model 3000 White Cabover - the first of its kind.

It’s a shame, because obviously it can’t be used for your time frame. Even by today’s standards it’s not a bad kit. I bought it to eventually place near some 50’s era jets. However, the decals suggest someone at Atlantis thought it could be used before 1947 - the are US ARMY AIR FORCES decals included. Easy enough to just use the AIR FORCE portion though.

The cab tilts and even has an engine to show off.

The tanka trailer isn’t bad at all, and could probably be modified enough for your time frame. It’s somewhat similar to the one in your photo. Here’s a view of that trailer from the opposite side:

it’s a 4,000 gallon F-1 trailer. Absolutely doable with the Atlantis kit. In the absence of a good walk around you could copy the details from the Roco 1/87 kit. Heck, I’m thinking of doing it myself one day.

Every time I fiddle with this, the numerous Tamiya tankers I have, the Kinetic tankers, or even the Airfix ones, I say “A few dies ago I saw a vehicle that’d haul that tanka.” My wife just rolls her eyes.
There are three small sink holes on the top portion, easily fixed, and the detail is quite good.

The side doors on the trailer open to display the pump. They can be replaced with .010 card stock and would look much betta.

And thank you Richard for reminding me of the name of that company. Gaso.Line indeed makes a perfect International Harvester tractor to pull that trailer. It’s the exact same one as in the 1/72 Airfix USAAF Bomber resupply set.

Now you have everything you need!

3 Likes

The truck towing the tank trailer in your first vehicle photo is a Federal I believe.

1 Like