1942: The Turning of the Tide

yes it is looking too grayish and light but it could be the camera and lighting.
did i hear that the early ones had black interiors or am i confusing that with another aircraft?
Joe

1 Like

I looks a little paler in the photo than it does in real life, but it’s not as strong as I would expect. I’ve got others that are a lot more vibrant. It looks more like RAF interior grey-green. I’ll stick with it, maybe a wash will alter it. I don’t think a great deal will be seen through the cockpit once it’s buttoned up.
I’ll keep in mind black though and I’ll have to dig into that to find out if any were.

Looking for something else yesterday I came across a decal sheet with a couple of Midway Wildcats. So a good excuse to buy a few more!

2 Likes

those are good decals. i used them on my midway devastator build.

1 Like

They look it. Starfighter have some good stuff. Nice little side line they do is Star Trek decals. I’ve got the generic Movie era set for a few projects.

1 Like

Hi, I didn’t get far on the P-40B & decided to switch. I will be building a Tamiya 1/700 Fubuki, an IJN destroyer that participated in the Midway battle in 1942.

3 Likes

Here’s the IJN Fubuki. I want to enter it in our club’s “Weather” contest in September.
Processing: 17178589151417171437795657221837.jpg…
She was sunk at the Battle of Cape Esperance in October 1942.

First time I’ve seen this campaign!
Couple of questions:

1. Is it too late to join?
  2. If it’s not too late, can I use this vignette that I finished a couple months ago?

2 Likes

Not too late to join at all! But a finished model doesn’t really fit the rules. You can enter with something that’s up to 25% started, but the idea is to do the build as part of the campaign.

Michael :israel: :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Yeah, had I seen the campaign I would have joined and documented the build within the thread. My bad. I’ll have to follow the campaigns more closely in the future.
Thanks for the quick response.

Cheers,
C.

1 Like

Still plenty of time to enter with something else, though!

Michael :israel: :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Time to catch up with everyone’s builds.

phantom_phanatic, thanks. It killed me a little to slice up the Humber, but space is a premium. Cool Wildcat kit for the campaign. Have fun.

phantom_phanatic, good progress on your kit. Nice after market decals too.

Lakota, looking forward to seeing your build of the IJN Fubuki.

creading, I hope you join the campaign. Lots of great builds being done here, Loads of inspiration too. Great Lend-Lease vignette.

That’s all for now. Keep up the masterful works, my fellow modelers.
Bill

Update on my El Alamein build. Work begins on the Time Capsule background.

Kit provided background photo is cut to fit the bottle half.

To make the forced perspective, a ledge was needed inside. I made a ledge out of styrene sheets.

The background photo was cut to fit the ledge section.

The modified Humber and Pak AT gun are test fitted to the ledge.

The Pak AT gun was too wide for the ledge. I removed the right side wheel, and made a 2 dimension one as a replacement.

Added smoke and casualties to both kits.

That’s all for now. I’ll add some more figures to the ledge area. Thanks for viewing. Any questions or suggestions are welcomed. Keep having fun everyone!!!
Bill

8 Likes

Great thinking, Panzerman regarding the ledge and fitting the gun into the capsule.

Cheers,

chuck

1 Like

At first glance, I thought that was half-eaten lasagna! Looks great! :hammer_and_wrench:

—mike :grin:

4 Likes

Hi, I seem to have a problem loading the Fubuki start photo.

But now it’s working out. I will also use turrents from an old Skywave set. Thank you

4 Likes

Should be interesting. I’ve got a few IJN Destroyers to do so looking forward to how it comes together.

Found this set for 12 quid at one of the market stalls at Cosford airshow yesterday. Couldn’t say no to it really for that price considering each retails at around a tenner usually. Comes with markings for the Hornet and Soryu at Midway.

I’m half tempted to build them on the display stand.
I’ll carry on with my current Wildcat for the time being and if I still have time, I’ll get cracking with this pair.

4 Likes

Nice kit choice.

The zero is a really nice kit. I had trouble with the Wildcat landing gear - but I bet it would have been find had I done it wheels up (… as I usually do in 1/72 - don’t know why I didn’t…)

The zero is really nice.

1 Like

Yes I was finding that with the one I’m working on when I test fitted the gear. Needs some careful planning. I think it’s likely to be the same case for any Wildcat kit. A clever system, but quite complicated when you’re working at in the smaller scale!
The Zero though is much more conventional! That one I’m looking forward to doing as I’ve so far never done a Zero. From anyone besides having a couple to build in the stash. I’ll be putting that omission right here.

I was thinking, I might struggle to finish the LCT in time, but I found this in the stash, goodness knows when I bought it, it is priced at £4 from the Model Shop in Newcastle,and that must have closed 10 or 15 years ago. Box was sealed but no bag inside, all parts look to be present.

IMG_7844

8 Likes