8 Wheelers from 1965 - to Present

The wheels are movable right now, until the steering rods/tie rods go on. That locks the wheels angle . Theres a fantastic wip of a 7410 maz built by 165thspc , and he left the tie rods connecting pin off allowing them to steer.

Yeah really looking forward to all the 8x8 builds underway !

1 Like

Finished the engine now. All that was needed was the fan, fan drive belts and small bank of filters.
This really is an amazing amount of detail for an engine.

It’s actually a shame about how detailed it is as I had a look further in the instructions and once it’s fitted, I think about 95% of it will be hidden away. It’s almost worthy of being a model in its own right. If you could see more of it when fitted I would add cables and piping, but it won’t be worth it sadly

Will prime it and detail paint regardless as it deserves that in the least.

5 Likes

Thats a beautifully detailed engine. Sadly another one buried under the hoods. Love the rocker and plumbing details

1 Like

Too bad it’ll be out of sight John. That’s scads of beautiful detail there!

1 Like

Why not keep the cab unglued so you can show the engine off whenever?

1 Like

Possibly Ryan…but I’m always worried that unglued means knocked off at some stage and ending up back in a 100 pieces …

I get that. I didn’t see where it was a tilt cab to help out that problem. That was the best solution I could think of.

1 Like

Have the engin bay opened, a couple of mechanics around it… painting them won’t be a problem, just cover them in grease and oil :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Some nice builds already!
My entry will be the South-African Rooikat. However I have to finish my entries for two other campaigns first so I’ll just admire your work for a while.

Olivier

I had been thinking of getting a Rooikat for this as well Olivier, so will definitely be watching for yours to get started :+1:

1 Like

Me too Olivier. That was my choice for this build too. I’ll let you point out any pitfalls to make my life easier :grin:

1 Like

Our family landed on quarantine, so I found a few hours to dabble w the A222 Bereg. I’m couldn’t wait any longer and stuck those monster tires on the hubs …double checking they were all facing correct directions

The frames getting crazy busy , and paints going on soon. I’m still blown away by the amount of detail they crammed into a small space

6 Likes

Bummer on the quarantine… But that Bereg, Jesus… It’s massive … That is a serious chassis and as you said … Lovely details on it … Great work Jeff

Base coat of flat black on engine.

Will start detail painting the different aspects tomorrow hopefully. And I will look a bit further into the instructions about how the cab goes on to see if there is scope to show the engine off somehow :+1:

4 Likes

Have put a thinned coat of XF 16 on the engine parts that required it, so that’s off drying, and then need to touch up a few areas of the flat black.

Going to make a start on the cab…before I start that, there is one piece you may need to be ultra careful with @SSGToms … The front of the cab, namely the windscreen surround… It’s mega thin and looks like it will be happy to snap or break when being taken of the sprue in a nano second if you go in to heavy…

4 Likes

Thanks for that John, I’m keeping notes to put in the box… :beer:

1 Like

Another note then Matt… Part mis-number
On step 5b, for A31 & 32, read H31 & 32

If I come across any more, I will post them as I find them ok buddy.

Bit more done before beauty sleep lol …
This is step 5, 5a and 5b.
I was quite pleased to find the parts come away from the sprue pretty easy, although some of the parts are pretty bendy …

And pretty much done with the engine. The black base coat has come through in a few places under the XF16 which is what I hoped for as it gives it a bit of a dirty look
Touched up all the flat black areas and added the contrast yellow oil filler cap and the top box…

3 Likes

Does anyone have a good idea about the colours inside the KAMAZ cabs ? I would think any of the KAMAZ 8 wheelers would do … The destructions indicate some areas grey and some a dark green…I know about the obvious black parts …

1 Like