Corvette Project Part 1 - C1 Series (1953-1962)

Thanks for all of the feedback guys, really very much appreciated as always. It really does keep the motivation levels high knowing that you are following along, even through my current bench-time drought. Work and family life is just crazy busy this time of year.

A little more progress, I finished detail painting the interior and engine bay (battery, brake master cylinder, some wiring), and fitted off the interior tub to the body. Of course once the CA was cured I just had to do a test fit to see how it all looks together :rofl:

Next up I need to paint and fit the hood bracket before the body can be mounted on the rolling chassis.

In the meantime, I can prepare the chrome trim parts, and also throw some time into my 1/32 P-39 build over on Aeroscale (shameless plug to follow :sunglasses:)

P-39F Airacobra RAAF (1/32 Special Hobby Kit) - Aircraft / World War II - KitMaker Network

I hope everybody is staying safe and well, I’m really enjoying the quality and diversity of builds we have going on here lately.

Cheers, D

5 Likes

D,
She’s really coming along quite nicely, as she’s looking more and more like a proper early series Vette. Of course my cousins I think 1958ish Vette never had the engine bay looking anywhere that Presten even in the short time he owned it. He lived in the Bronx/NYC and naturally it was stolen in short order.

Agreed on the shameless plug for the 1/32 P-39, but well worth it. My brother is still struggling to finish their Whirlind.

As for me, I’ve taken some time off from the hobby as it’s been non-stop for years. I’d finish one model and start the next within a few hours.

I guess it’s time I come out the “closet” in a manner of speaking, and confess that I’ve gotten out of my arm chair for my other hobby interest: And that’s model railroading. Last layout was 35 years ago. The force has gotten stronger and stronger as I’ve gotten older and older. So I decided to build a 2 x28 ft shelf type Model RR in HO starting from scratch as I have to buy everything basically needed. But I don’t intend to stop car modeling. Just share my time. Right now My track order is on the way, and I’ve finalized the layout plans. I figure it will take me 2 weeks to get the benchwork up, and then lay the track which will take a good few months. Then onto the killer part of the hobby for me, and that’s wiring. For those that know, it’s DCC this time around. By then my plans are to alternate days between the two hobbies, and hopefully my Mojo tank will once again be full.

joel

3 Likes

Mounting the bonnet was a pain in the 4$$ but we got there. Body and rolling chassis are now united, and I’ve even managed to get it sitting on all 4 wheels 😁. Headlights and taillights fitted, and that huge toothy Corvette grin.

@Joel_W , great to hear that you are going back to an old chapter to revisit! Will you be posting a “Build Log” for the layout on the Railroad forum pages? I would love to see it unfolding.

Cheers, D

5 Likes

D,
The Vette is really starting to look the part, and as I said, it does bring back a lot of memories from times way past.

The MRR is slowly taking shape on paper, and as I’m finding out now just about everything from track to engines, to cars, are either out of stock. pre-order, and super expensive. It makes plastic modeling seem cheap. I never thought I’d ever say that, but the comparison is so true.

joel

1 Like

Such eye candy. Marvelous work!!

1 Like

It’s been a few months, but this build is still right by my side at the bench so it’s time to push it through and make it my first completion for 2023.

I started on the BMF, so far I’ve done the trims around the seats and the top of the doors. Also a test dry fit of the windscreen and roof, just because.

Final additions to the engine bay, steering column and box and the always magical levitating alternator.

Next up is BMF on the trim around the side flashes. This will be fun because they are tiny, and not really well defined so trimming will be a slow and careful process.

Cheers, D

8 Likes

That’s a great looking Corvette.

Jim

2 Likes

D,
As usual, your BMF work is 1st class. As for the Alternator, I believe back in those days it was still a Generator, so I asked my good friend Mr. Google and indeed Chevy didn’t make the switch to Alternators till 1963 for the Corvette. Ford didn’t start to make the switch for the Mustangs till 1964-1965.
Even my 1967 MGB had a Generator. My 1st Alternator was in my 1970 302 Mustang.

Joel

3 Likes

Thanks for checking in Joel, much appreciated!

Great info as well, filed away for future reference!

Cheers, D

1 Like

D,
Always my pleasure. I’m still here, lurking in the dark corners of the car forums. Right now I’m concentrating on the getting the basic Model Railroad to the point of being able to operate it in a somewhat prototypical manner, which is taking whatever time I have these days, but i will be returning to actual car modeling at a somewhat reduced pace once I reach that goal.

joel

2 Likes

A couple more steps towards completion. I applied the BMF to the trim around the side flashes, as predicted a slow and painful process with the body mouldings very poorly defined. I’m not really happy with the result and I probably should have done more work on this area prior to painting to get a better result here. I also did some detail painting on the handles and clips and badges.

Once the detail paint has cured I will check if any touch-ups are required, then it’s time to fit off the final bits’n’pieces.

Cheers, D

8 Likes

Added rear licence plate, chrome bumpers, mirror, steering wheel and windscreen, once they are cured I will touch up the sprue attachment points and give it a clean.

Cheers, D

7 Likes

And we are done!

A cheeky shot with his older brothers.

I want to find a licence plate decal that suits and add it to the rear plate, I will set up for some nicer pics after that.

Completion #1 for 2023 in the display cabinet!

Cheers, D

11 Likes

Great start to 2023 with a Corvette on the shelf!

2 Likes

D,
Now that’s impressive for sure. What a great start to the 2023 year.

joel

• List item
2 Likes

Cheers Michael, hope all is well on the east island mate!

1 Like

Thanks Joel! How is the RR layout project progressing?

1 Like

Awesome builds, bub!

Master class of building.

Thanks,

Gavin

2 Likes

Very well done. Nice addition to your collection.

Jim

2 Likes

Nicely done, D! Congrats on finishing your first kit in 2023 :+1: I’m still far away from that …

2 Likes