P-39F Airacobra RAAF (1/32 Special Hobby Kit)

What better way to celebrate a new site than to start a big new build! I’ve had this one in the stash for many years and just needed a little shove to drag it out into the daylight. The “Bella Red - Bella White” thread by Torsten (BlackWidow) did just that!

This won’t be a quick build, I have a few Group Build kits in-progress to take priority, and being a 1/32 kit I want to really focus on the finer detail and weathering techniques as I move along.

The RAAF option is listed as CAM C in the instruction book, so I will be following these sections in the process.

Steps 1 and 2 involve the nose wheel bay and cockpit sub assemblies including removing the raised details on the IP in preparation for the PE parts provided in the kit. The wheel bay went together ok but you need to pay attention to the alignment of the parts as there are no locating pins or tabs, just butt-joins.

Surface detail is nice, but a bit soft. I will use a ceramic blade scraper to fine-tune it a bit prior to paint.

On to the Instrument Panel. The plastic is quite soft so not problems removing the raised details. The PE parts fit neatly and are a big improvement on the styrene kit part. I glued them in place with MIG Acrylic Ultra Glue which I found very simple to use instead of the usual go-to of medium CA. It allowed extra working time, easier clean-up and less fingers stuck to parts.

That’s it for now. As always, I am open to all suggestions and advice, comments and constructive critique!

Cheers, D

2 Likes

You will be watched, D! :wink:

Good start on your “Bella Kangaroo”. At the first glance I thought it would be an RAF Airacobra Mk. I with RAAF markings but at a closer look I noticed that it has australian paints on.

I’m decaling Bella Red first to complete the Land-Lease Campaign in Armorama. It feels like 1000 stencils … :anguished:

Enjoy your build!
Torsten :wave:

1 Like