Destroyed Russian T72 in the Ukraine - project

A few images. All dry fitted.

The mud is a base. Colour will be adjusted once I get into the ‘real’ weathering. For the mud I mixed PVA glue with plaster of paris and a bit of garden dirt. I wasn’t sure the plaster would stick well to the tank so the PVA gave it some bite. It also slowed down the curing time of the plaster.

Excuse the crap images. My brain and camera aren’t synced!! The mud is not as ‘red’ as it looks in the images.

1 Like

Time for some oil filters and pigments. Then onto the fire damage.

Question for the T72 experts.
I’m installing the tracks. The instructions call for 95 links per side. But one side fits while another doesn’t. The drive socket on the right side is closer to the first road wheel than it is on the left side. AH images show the same anomaly. (See below). Have I stuffed up? Has AH stuffed up? Or don’t they line up on the real thing.
Maybe the drive wheels are further back on the right side!!!
It’s not a lot and I can cobble it together. But would it really be different?

The distance from the sprocket to the roadwheel is different because the torsion bars are offset. In real they are as long as the full width of the hull.

Olivier

As seen on this 1/72nd scale kit part (Modelcollect)

H.P.

Point of order, on AFVs, the convention is to number road wheels from the front, therefore, the drive sprocket (or final drive if you prefer) is closer to the 6th roadwheel on the RHS - this is due (I assume) to the offset torsion bar assemblies.

Very sorry Sir. Ill go and stand in the corner.

This all confirms Im just a humble modeller and not an AFV fan. But I promise to try harder.

FWIW my next build will be a Miniart Werkstattmraftwagen. Kit#35359. I intend converting it into a surf wagon. Surf board on top. Lowered and wide wheels. Will it be forgivable converting from an AFV?

1 Like

I need some help!!

Track is installed on one side. The ‘good’ side.
Now I’m pondering the track on the damaged side. I’m a bit stuck on how it should look and need some input.
The track came apart halfway along the top. But something is wrong with my setup. The track doesn’t look ‘heavy’ enough. Or something!!

Any tips on posing the broken tracks would be appreciated. I would run the track out in front but that means an awkward long diorama. (Ignore the painting and weathering. I’ll attend to that once I stop handling the darn thing).

thanks.

2 Likes

Maybe you could keep the track unbroken…

H.P.

2 Likes

I would leave the broken track as is. Just try and introduce a bit of sag over roadwheel 1 & 2 and a bit more over the rear wheel to sprocket area. Great build do far :+1:

1 Like

One of the things to think about is what was the tank doing when it was hit. Was it moving forwards or static
Say if it’s moving and it has enough momentum and it hits a mine. The track will normally split but the wagon will also probably keep moving running various sections, if not all the track off the sprockets or idlers depending which way it’s moving.
If it’s static, the fired round may just split the track and leave it on the idler and sprocket depending how close the hit was to them… There are a fair few variations to the extent of damage and how you decide you want to show it.

Anyway you decide to show the track, it will probably have a plausible explanation as to why it ends up looking like it does, so don’t fret it.

As has been said it’s a question of imagining what happened. The track would have thrown out the front after the track broke for one of two reasons – either the tank was attempting to reverse, or it came to a sudden stop in forward gear. But if (moving forwards) a mine broke it, your track could not have continued to feed round the rear sprocket, it would have stayed on the ground like this…

I was trying to show that, with the tank then stopping suddenly & throwing the track out front from momentum. But as you said you’d need to extend the dio base out back more than you want to. The only scenario I can imagine to match your broken track is an HE hit on those central rollers while stationary or maybe barely crawling forwards. But you’d need to trash those rollers & mudguard above the blast. :tumbler_glass:

This is the key. If the tank was moving forward, the track would spool out behind it, not to the front. If static, it wouldn’t really come out either end, just break and sag.

Like the others have said, you a lot of variation to how the track can end up. Here are a few more photos to help you figure out what you want to go with:

gettyimages-467623402-594x594

Just about anything you want to go with will work just fine!
Ken

1 Like

Thanks guys. tankerken’s 4th image is how my T72 was hit. So was it moving forward or backwards when it got hit? Hmmmm. I’m going to spend the day playing with some track positions. (After Daytona is over!! NASCAR. Gota get your priorities right!).

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I’ve pointed out before I’m a modeler not an AFV fan so this is all new to me.

OK NASCAR rained out so back to the work bench.

I Considered the tank was slowly moving forward when hit just above the tracks. So some momentum forward.

I think I will refine these poses.
Excuse the ‘pin’ holding the drive sprocket in. One dumb mistake that I’m keeping to myself!! :unamused:

1 Like

Some progress.
Oil filters. Some fiddly bits yet to be done. Like the hatches. Next step is a clear coat then airbrushing on the burnt affects.

Everything is dry fitted at the moment. It’s missing the side skirts. They have been modified and will get attached later. Turret will be on the ground!

I’m beginning to ‘like’ this kit. I’m tempted to finish it as is. BUT I’ve come this far so out with the burnt paints.

9 Likes

Coming along very nicely. I too would be tempted to leave it as is. My only “criticism” is that if the tank were moving forward, even slowly, I would expect the broken track to not be sitting tight on the drive sprocket. Perhaps others can weigh in. I just think it might look better. That said it’s your build and if you are happy with it the go for it. :+1: :+1:

Thanks. I’ve looked at many many images. I’m not sure any two have been the same. So I’ll put it down to my own ignorance and leave it as is.

I put a lot of those images up, just to show that anything you want to go with would be OK, as you noticed there is so much variety in how the tracks end up. What you have looks fine. If you are happy with it, that’s all that matters!
Ken

1 Like