German camo question

Say, is that the pink Panther some GIs insisted they saw in Cambodia??? :wink:

Are you referring to the tank or the cartoon character?

I’m pretty sure that with the booze they drank, it was pink elephants…

2 Likes

In all seriousness, there were the anecdotes of an abandoned Panther in Cambodia that was supposedly sighted by both GIs on the ground and personnel in the air.

It was described as being pinkish. A theory was that it was tested by the French pre-1954 and subsequently left behind as it was determined as unsuitable for combat in Indochina.

EDIT: Seems I am wrong. It was supposed to be Vietnam.

A cool story for certain. :sunglasses: And now we have the model… :upside_down_face:

Well, French Indochina was broken up into the nations of Cambodia, Vietnam, and Laos after the French withdrawal. So who knows? Which tree was the border?

The track in the bottom picture is too slack and requires adjustment.

1 Like

Sounds like a good spreadsheet… I did ask this in my Tiger 1 thread, but will ask it here as well… I’m planning on doing a late or possibly final Tiger 1… If it was produced in say May/Jun/July of 44… Would the base colour be dunkelgelb or Olivgrun? I know Olivgrun was 44, but not sure about the month and Tiger 1s stopped being made Aug/September… Any help appreciated :+1:

I could be wrong but I vaguely recall august-September ish being the cutoff for dark yellow to dark green

2 Likes

Pretty sure the last Tigers were yellow. Green as a base I believe was closer to the end of December.

3 Likes

Oakey doke… Looks likely that dunkelgelb is the firm favourite…:+1:

1 Like

Tiger I production ended in August of 1944. The transition to Dunkelgrün basecoat during vehicle production did not occur until December 20th 1944.

2 Likes

This historical image clearly shows tiger 2 tanks painted grey…

12 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Well it must be true then! :rofl: :laughing: :rofl:

Well, at least this thread’s been entertaining… LOL!

I built plenty of models in the 1960’s using Sgt. Rock and Haunted Tank comic books as references, but that doesn’t mean that any of those “references” have stood the test of time to be proved historically or technically correct. Still, they were fun builds!

2 Likes

Don’t forget “GI Combat” and “The Haunted Tank” for reference….

1 Like

You just love stiring the pot, don’t you? :grin: :grin:

2 Likes

That film is so bad, so historically innacurate, that I expect most of us wish they simply hadn’t bothered to make it in the first place.

1 Like

When I was a kid, and didn’t know any better, I thought it was a great, exciting movie! Now I know better!
Oh well.
Funny thing, in the 1990s, there was a show on Discovery Channel called History Versus Hollywood, they actually rated that movie pretty highly! I stopped watching the show after that.
Ken

1 Like

See the source image

3 Likes