Helicopter Campaign No:3

The rotor isn’t bad, just need to replace a bit of the cabling that was oval in shape with some wire

next fit problem was the stub wing roots - same fix as the engine cowl

I also had to fill out the chin mount for the gun turret as it’s part of the cockpit and was too recessed in the nose - more plasticard and putty

8 Likes

Quick question for either Nikos or Israel @ReluctantRenegade @gtdeath13 … what would the best AK or Tamiya match be for the desert tan and brown finish on IDF Apaches ?

1 Like

John,

AK has a dedicated IAF color set, although these only might be good for fixed wing aircraft:

Hataka has a dedicated IAF rotary wings set

As for Tamiya, I’d say a toned down Dark Yellow (XF-60) would work for the sand; as for the brown, I’d go for a toned down Flat Earth (XF-52).

5 Likes

Israeli Air Force Colors

• AK11121 Tan Earth FS 30219.
  • AK11869 Sand FS 33531.
  • AK11311 Pale Green FS 34227 (RAL 6011)
  • AK11876 Green FS 34258.
  • AK11880 Duck Egg Blue FS 35622.
  • AK11844 Sky FS 34424.
  • AK11887 Dark Ghost Grey FS 36320.
  • AK11888 Light Ghost Grey FS 36375.
4 Likes

Israel @ReluctantRenegade , as soon as I saw that you wrote AK IDF set I went DOH… !!! Of course they do lol … I ordered the AKRC set for my IDF F16 :see_no_evil:
And when I saw what Nikos @gtdeath13 wrote about the actual AK colours, there was an even bigger DOH as I remembered that I had those already from the above set :see_no_evil::see_no_evil:… But thanks guys :+1::+1:

4 Likes

Masked up the canopy and attached the gun…

Will add the small breakables next, handrails, hellfire racks etc

Will do the nose optics and rotors in the darkest grey I have as flat black will be to dark I think.

8 Likes

Build is now done. Leaving the wheels and rotors off and the hellfires until the airframe is fully painted

And you can see the hellfires in Olive drab, and below the racks.

Decided to do the rotors and optics assembly on the front in NATO black as that has a decent faded look.

7 Likes

John,
I’m not sure about the brown, but the sand color used on rotary wings (FS33448) isn’t the same as the one used on fixed wing aircraft (FS33531).

2 Likes

Cheers Israel, will look into that more :+1:

1 Like

Have settled on Tamiya xf88 dark yellow 2, which actually looks pretty light to me lol …but hey ho…

I think it’s close enough to be passable

And the AK dark tan RC225 is very close enough for me… I eyeballed it next to some online ref images and it was close enough…

Done all the rotors and rotor head with the NATO black … It gives it a nice faded out look…

Will do the same colour on the optics mount on the nose.

8 Likes

Ready for the AK dark tan…

9 Likes

Hey John,
What are you using for the monstrous masking blob?

—mike

2 Likes

Keeping it simple and cheap…

Can usually get 2 masks worth out of 1 pot… Pot of 4 was about 3pounds I think…

And depending how you spray … you can achieve a hard or soft edge :+1:

5 Likes

“D’OH!” :grin:

Thank you! Looking forward to the big reveal!

—mike

2 Likes

Here you go Mike … Not that exciting I’m afraid …

The brown turned out not as dull as I hoped it would. I will be giving it a wash of AK OIF/OEF so I hope that will bring it down a bit flatter

Looking through the Tamiya paint options, a better toned brown may have been XF 72 JGSDF brown… But what’s done is done…

Can start on some detailing now :+1:

7 Likes

I take exception John, I think that scheme looks great!

2 Likes

Cheers buddy :beer:

1 Like

Not tried that … But worth looking at …

Started to detail it’s and removed the snoopy mask… A few areas around that need fill in paint and there was some very slight seepage through the mask joins in a few places, but a cocktail stick cleared those up.

Stay safe :+1:

8 Likes

Missed this starting, can i Finnish off the Sioux in this, or need to start a whole new one, which would be a wessex in 1/48.

Ps may have a 1/35 apache E, in bound.

@frank you can enter that kit if you still have 75% of the kit still to build.

hope that helps.

1 Like