Helicopter Campaign No:3

way past that now, Wessex it is then.

1 Like

Got the tiny decals on the hellfires.

Just need to paint the optics on the noses

Started the rest of the decals…

Probably not historically correct, and I should have done a few more checks on some of the decal placement as the instructions tell you to put the front triangular warning signs in between the front of the canopy and the nose, but I think that’s wrong as I couldn’t find a real image like that… They all show it on the front canopy door area… Lesson learnt.

Will leave the rotors off until after I clear coat it and do the panel lines and the wash…

Bit more detail painting tomorrow :+1:

8 Likes

Coming along nicely. One note though, the blue stripes on the Hellfires make them inert training rounds. If you want live warshots, the stripes are yellow.

New version w/3 stripes.

Older version w/2 stripes.

5 Likes

Of course … I totally ignored the blue bands as showing inert … :see_no_evil: … in my defence, most of the IAF images of dummy/inert Hellfires on Apaches show the whole missile as blue … thats what probably threw me off track …

2 Likes

Oakey doke… So the hellfires are on… I wanted to do the 2 hellfire launchers each side because, well, I just like hellfires lol… wheels are also on.

Started some of the detailing which I will carry on with tomorrow.

Sorry for the last image, I must of moved just as I clicked as it’s a bit blurry

Another thing I wouldn’t mind a few tips about is a decent AK range aircraft exhaust colour, or a few to give different tones and shades…

10 Likes

Masked up and ready for painting. Just got to source the correct colours. Afghan conflict, Mid 80’s

10 Likes

wow you’re really cracking on with that kit, nice work mate.

1 Like

Throwing another Apache in the mix. Gonna build this one OOB. Will be my first ever helicopter

8 Likes

Heard it’s a pretty good kit. Don’t recall which boxing I have, maybe the A.

1 Like

thanks. the cockpit canopy was a bugger to fit and fill the gaps

1 Like

Received this, now do I do the Wessex or this.

6 Likes

Wessex… good old faithfuls

2 Likes

That’s a pretty steep climb for the Apache! :helicopter:

—mike

1 Like

1/72 Wessex HC.2. 72 Sqn. Northern Ireland. XT669 was lost when the main rotor hit a radio mast at Forkhill OP on 25 Oct 1985. The two pilots escaped safely but the five troops in the back, who were not strapped in were injured, Air Load Master Sgt Dave Rigby was killed. .

11 Likes

Apache is 99% done …just need one bit of help/advice…

I have looked online at IAF Apaches and I don’t know what this is, or what colour it should be ???

The raised tower directly behind the rotor head.

I have seen orange mottled colours, an orange striped one, one with 2 different green coloured stripes around it, a reddish one ??? Help :+1::+1:

2 Likes

The AN/ALQ-144 Infrared Jammer “Disco Light”.

Maybe silver with Tamiya clear red over it.

4 Likes

Thanks buddy… appreciated :+1::+1: I will go with red over silver

2 Likes

Although the jammer needs doing as per Ryan’s image above, I’m going to call the IAF Apache done.

It was the Academy 1/72 kit, not bad and only 8 or 9 quid. Went together pretty well and only real fit issue was the canopy… It’s not super tight and overhangs a bit on one side.

It lacks some detail like the rear and main rotor heads/mechanisms but you kind of expect that for a kit that costs under a tenner…and looking at it … You know it’s an Apache… So that works.

Will do a few more shots once the jammer is painted up.

13 Likes

Looks great! … And that green background gives the bird a sort of night-vision goggles appeal! :crescent_moon:

—mike

1 Like

that looks amazing, you’ve really done a fantastic job on that Apache.

1 Like