IDF Diorama

The taller item in the yellow circle looks like a generator, used for operating the missiles when the vehicle engine is not running or when the missiles are ground launched. The other part may be the electrical control box connecting the joystick to the missiles.

That’s a great video clip, especially the part where they are shooting at that tank! I built a model of that tank, you can see it here: IDF Looking for volunteer drivers - Armor/AFV / Cold War - KitMaker Network

In a lot of cases, I don’t think the manufacturers know what many parts are, it is in the photo or drawing, so they include it, whatever it is!
Ken

3 Likes

Not just those, but Panzer IVs and Jagdpanzer IVs as well. Syria, a former French Mandate, received them from French, but also from Spanish and Czechoslovakian stocks. Egypt on the other hand, a former British Mandate, operated mainly ex-British and American vehicles right after WW2, but these were quickly phased out after modern Soviet equipment became available from the early '50s. Having said that, M3/5 halftracks appeared on the battlefield as late as the Yom Kippur War, some of them carrying Russian made B-11 recoilless rifles.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for your contributions, great to see somuch help from all sides :+1:
I will keep the Mule in it, just because I like it :grinning: knowing it is a big What If… also because I happen to have this one but no Soviet trucks… (yet) :roll_eyes:

@tankerken : I remember that build, as well because I was already looking at iDF verhicles at that time :+1:

@18bravo Nice idea about that leadfoil, must remember it! Too bad I don’t do WW2 diorama’s, otherwise I could keep the Mule for that.

Are there photos of these components?

That would make a cool build. What kit would be a good base model for an M5 half track? @ReluctantRenegade

There is a relatively expensive 3D conversion to turn the Dragon kits into an M5.
Now this will make you laugh, but you could use the old Monogram kit as a base for one, I say this because it has the correct fenders, which are the hardest part of the conversion. Obviously you have to round the rear corners of the fighting compartment, but you can do that by sectioning lengths of Evergreen tubing. I believe it was 1/4 inch or the next size up. If you don’t care about replacing the front axle and differential no one will probably notice anyway. There are a few other minor differences which are easy to fix.
I also still have my forms from which I vacuformed the correct fenders. If you absolutely had to have them, I might be talked into making another set. It’s PITA though. Only one out of every three attempts or so actually works out.
You can also just slice the fenders off of an old Monogram kit and add them, along with all of the other necessary changes, to the Dragon half track.

1 Like

@18bravo thats interesting, i didn’t think there would be that much to do for an M5. As far as I’m tracking that hull was rounded but i haven’t seen a great picture of one in awhile. This is good information though, going to have to explore this more.

Aside from the fenders, and rounded troop compartment corners, the other difference is the sliding shutters for the side doors and windshield armor. On the M3 the are mounted on the outer surface of the armor plates, on the M5, they are mounted on the inner surface.

1 Like

Not that I know of, just what you can find.
Ken

2 Likes

Been working a bit more on the Mule.
As I was trying to get the front fender a little bit more dented, I managed to ruin the window part of the door…
just had to cut that off, I mean, look at it… unrecognisable…

And so I had to replace it…

And made the headlight hang on to the fender by its wiring…

Spare wheel is on, tires are solid rubber, not hollow like the LAV tires…

Think it is nearly ready for the paintshop, just not decided yet about the back, over on or only the tarpaulin bows… think the second option, I will leave the back open and visible…

Tracks and broken glass are then to be added…

6 Likes

Man, what an impressive build/project. Great work on the rigs and figs, BTW. I saw some of the wrecks along the highway leading up to Jerusalem, back in late '02. What I really am bummed about is I never got a chance to see the tank museum on the way back to Tel aviv. Oh well, you’re bringing it to life right here.

Ruck On!

2 Likes

Thanks! Wish I had been in the able to see the real stuff as well, envy you.

Keep it up man. Love the hanging headlight, very realistic,
J

1 Like

So, got everything in primer, Mule, AMX and crew…

And while these are drying I started on the next kit…

adjusted the front axle so it will be following the road, i tneeded a bit of work on its nose, and managed to fix the driver in its position

7 Likes

More rigs, beauty!

2 Likes

A couple of photos from the Six Day War I came across recently. Bert, you might find these useful for your project.

There’s an interesting detail (well, to me at least) in the photo below - can you spot it?

6 Likes

Thanks for those great pictures! But have to be honoust, I notice lots of different uniforms, helmets, barets, even floppy hats, and a very nive green scenery with what looks like mountains in the background, but I doubt thats the detail you are referring to, so you will have to help me out here… :roll_eyes:

Meantime, have been doing a lot of painting, the Mule: I know the wooden backpart was useaully painted the same color as the rest of the truck, but I liked it in woodcolor, so thats what I went for.
Offcourse that means I had to paint up all those metal bits that were on the wood…

And have been trying to make some broken windows… not to sure about them yet…

Did some chipping on the back and the cab, still need to do the chassis, that is still brand new compared to the rest…

The truck, did almost all the detail painting, and again went for a woodcolor instead of painting that in the truck color:

As it is an old truck, a survivor of WW2, being used intensely in the years after that, and nearly ready for retirement, I decided to do some serious chipping, so some detail pictures of the chipping:

So I still need to put a net over the cargo, and do some dusting on this one…

The AMX is painted, need to start on the chipping for that one…

9 Likes

Added a net over the cargo… is actually the packaging of garlic I bought in the local supermarket…

12 Likes

Wow! Great resourcing! That netting looks awesome!

3 Likes

Brilliant use of everyday products , I’ll be looking in my Shop-Rite for that fer sure …

1 Like