Land of the rising sun

Best statement I can read all day.

@Mead93 @JPTRR Thanks guys - thereā€™s still a chance that Hayate wonā€™t be a victim of a blue monday mood :wink:

This is all about it - Sorry canā€™t explain it precisely in English, but yes, itā€™s about where pigment loosened and shifted/drifted away from where it was supposed to be, both on white area as well as on main colour - especially visible in areas I retouched with post shading. All post-shaded darker colour moved away from areas and itā€™s now looking a little bit unnatural to me and definitely thereā€™s a big difference between left & white wing.
As for hull the loss / shift of white paint left a big dark bark which doesnā€™t look natural.

I will explore your references and maybe I will indeed make some ā€œaluminum chippingsā€ as @Mead93 suggets here and there with sponge and precise brush. Japanese aircraft were famous of their ā€œnon-stickingā€ paint after all :smiley: .

Just a question - if I want to go into chipping, I think itā€™s best to apply decals first, then continue with bare metal stuff to create more natural effects, but I think that Hinomaru roundels were rather kept in good shape, am I right here?

Great work Panzerman. Now I have an idea of what mine may look like when I start building it. Will you put this in a small diorama for this campaign?

Original color photos Iā€™ve found new show that the hinomaru tended to not flake or strip away like the camouflage colors. I donā€™t have an explanation for that. But hereā€™s a lineup of Frankā€™s after the war, I think an airfield in korea. Nick Millman has a blog about it.

Another glorious example are these J2Ms:

3 Likes

Thanks Fred. This stickness of Japanese white & red colours are quite legendary apparently - I wish hobby paints of same shades were so stubborn to hold to surface (eg. after masking) :slight_smile:
Now I need to find a way to make the chipping convincing (as Iā€™m going to make chipping ā€œoverā€ existing paint rather than using bare metal surface covered with camo paint and chipped with some fluid/water), especially that pics of original plane donā€™t show extensive paint flaking, but ā€¦ Iā€™m not a rivet counter afterall :smiley:

Fabulous finish to the Kyofu! I will say that the weathering is very well done, and a nice presentation. Congratulations!

Hi Radek,

Took a good look at your pictures. While a bummer, one thing you might want to do is give the bird a bath! Iā€™d suggest a light wet sanding using 3000 -6000 grit sanding cloths. This will knock the paint down and give you a better idea on what to repaint. Iā€™d definately give the white a redo, and then use a combination of touch up on the camo greenish color and some aluminum on a sponge (lightly), and another control option is a Prisma silver colored pencil. Using just the sharpened point you can ā€œdotā€ the silver into places to give the worn paint effect. Hope that helps, best of luck.

Alright, vote time! Once I get my archer and KV-1 weathered, and paint in my Elefant itā€™s Japanese aircraft!

Having a hard time choosing! Which should I build?

Go big or go home:
Nakajima B6N Tenzan

1 Like

Was leaning that way or the Hayate

Thanks John, situation is now a little bit complicated :slight_smile: - I put decals on existing stuff in meanwhile, I will attempt to make some retouches, but it will require a little bit more attention. Iā€™ll keep you all posted about successes ā€¦ or failures :slight_smile:

1 Like

Would the I-0 150 ton tank be acceptable for this group build?

Mead, Iā€™d go with the Tenzan. Just cuz itā€™s a rare thing in any collection.

1 Like

The Tenzan it is! Should get cracking on it next weekend

2 Likes

Since itā€™s japanese, Iā€™d say go for it.

1 Like

All good choices. But I have a biased towards the Frank or Raiden. I like the Tony but for some reason I donā€™t like Tony is for the air defense of japan. I like the camouflage of Hien deployed to the South pacific. If I had one to pick up Iā€™d go with Frank.

The campaign description I laid out said ā€œmust be used by Japanā€ but, I am pretty laid back when it comes to campaign definitions. It is Japanese and itā€™s a really cool machine so I say, absolutely go for it!! Excited to see what you do with it

2 Likes

Still awaiting paint, but I did get most of the parts primed.

Mike

3 Likes

Hell yeah Iā€™m going to begin it this week!

1 Like

Fantastic. Would also love your impressions of the kit. Itā€™s one I am interested in

1 Like