Land of the rising sun

Got the leading edge ID bands on as well as painter the tail yellow for the tail code. Also got the white down for the hinumaru roundel edges, and as a base for the red. Waiting for it to cure before masking it all with cricut cut stencils

Insignia yellow was 1 part flat red to 10 parts flat yellow, pretty happy with the color

7 Likes

Bill, Beautiful work on the small scale figures. Looks Great!

Mead, Looking forward to see the finished scheme. It Will be nice and colorful!

1 Like

Got the markings down for the rounders. Took longer than I wanted as my cricut was acting up and refused to cut a circle. Think the blade was dirty. I loath fuselage side markings, lining them up is a pain.

Planned to get the red down tonight but ran out of time. Tomorrow it is! My squadron vaccuform canopy arrived the other day! I’m intimidated by it but will tackle it soon

5 Likes

The painted deck installed to the hull

These look like hose reels for the AVgas so I painted them black

6 Likes

Very nice progress guys.

Mead, you have this reverse masking trick down pat haven’t you?

1 Like

I had a good teacher!

1 Like

Tip no 2. If you have some pink paint lying around, put a light coat of that down, then the red. It does make a richer red with a lighter coat than you need just over white.

2 Likes

Question, I don’t have pink. Can I make up a pink from white and red before using my red mix. I assume yes.

Actually, no. The pink paint is made with different pigments, which is why it is better. Just shoot the red if you have no pink.

1 Like

Interesting! Glad I asked, I’ll have to pick up some pink as I have plenty of other Japanese aircraft and British roundels that’ll need red

I do plan to use a mix of flat red, red brown and orange so perhaps that’ll help

1 Like

That Jill is just a good lookin plane and your build is doing it justice. I have no experience with Cricut. How do you design your masks? Can you use a regular graphics program like Illustrator?

Paul

1 Like

This thread goes into some detail

You need the cricut design space app to design the masks. It’s really easy to use. For the wing roundels I used two different sized circles, when the cricut cuts you get the outer ring and an inner circle to cover up the red once I spray it. For the fuselage roundels I did the same, but then found a font that matched the decals and added the 33. Once layered on the app you get the ring, and a inner circle with two 33’s cut into it. I then use transfer tape to move it all to the plane which keeps everything aligned. I then removed the inner circle leaving behind the 33 and the ring. Once I spray the red I’ll I’ll in the circle with masking tape. Here is a picture of the stencils on design space

the white lines show where cuts will be made

I agree! I love Japanese aircraft and the Jill is no exception, for such a large plane it still looks super elegant and sleek to me.

Roundels red down. Went with a mix of roughly 1 part hull red XF-9 to 9 parts xf-7 flat red.

Pretty happy with the color and coverage. I’m be thing I like to do with reds, yellows, and white is to let them sit for a day to make sure I am happy with the coverage. If I am, I will do the nerve wracking task of removing the 33 stencils from the fuselage roundels to check for bleed through, if we are all I’ll mask the inside of the upper wing roundels and fuselage roundels then plop down the circle masks for the lower wing. Then I need to work on the canopy, mask the cockpit and paint! Getting close!

10 Likes

The Shioya is done. It went together without much trouble

Tho I see I need to work on my photo skills (or get a better camera)

11 Likes

You may find that replacing the silver backdrop with a light blue cardboard will improve the camera’s ability to focus.

1 Like

I’ll try that

2 Likes

I have cut out and cleaned up the parts for the mount base and the gun trainer and gunner’s seats. I could feel the yearning of the seat levers for the freedom of my bedroom carpet.

DSC00500
DSC00501

4 Likes

Couldn’t help myself. Peeled off the 33 masks last night. Pretty pumped with how it turned out!

7 Likes

I also have something on the subject of Japan.

“Shimpū Tokkōtai / Divine Wind”

I have recreated the photo that everyone probably knows on a scale of approx. 1:150.

First the photo

2 Likes

Here are the parts I printed out:
am_110

am_210

am_310

And here the vingnette, ready built.
It turned out a bit like a comic:

7 Likes