Lifting the Fog of War: Command and Control

Guessed so because of the bat… :wink:

The 3 little pesky decals are now on, nice and easy as expected. Will secure the front recovery rope eyes tomorrow now as it’s late. Then I can start on a the med grey wash and the AK panel liner for black cam. That isn’t going to go into every grove and line, I will be selective.

RH rear bin exhaust warning sign.

RH side FFE pull handle warning sign… Left one is exactly the same.

Also have to put in the headlight lenses. Will add the antennas last as I’m sure to break them otherwise.

5 Likes

I have had very little time to model or do anything else for that matter. This is why: 13 weeks old, Boxer and Catahoula Hound mix, along with a lot of devilishness.

I did though manage to get some resin on the roof. I’m awaiting three Magic Models antenna bases for the one side. IIRC, we had three RT-524A/VRC radios mounted on the one side. Battalion Operations, Fire Direction, and Brigade Operations.

Mike

7 Likes

Have done about 90% of the groundwork, like I said, it will be simple but solely there to frame Nomad.

Decided to put the RTR flag on after I had folded/scrunched it to make it look like it’s hanging limp.

Quite like how it looks.

Also done the front recovery rope mounts and fitted the headlight lenses.

Will start on the weathering which will be the natural grey wash and black cam panel liner.

4 Likes

Very nice, flag hangs down nicely, hardly any wind by the looks of it :+1:

1 Like

This is looking absolutely stunning John that flag is awesome.

1 Like

Coming along nicely Johnny.

1 Like

Thanks @SSGToms Matt and @frank Frank. I really do like the flag. I was worried about it initially how I could achieve it, but printing your decal flag and then double siding onto kitchen foil … It’s the way forward for me.

I also just really like the blackness of Nomad. The white Tac signs and the FE brown covers just add a nice enough contrast.

1 Like

I’ve been musing about a couple of things and wondering about whether they would be in for this campaign?

I’m pretty sure a SAM radar installation would work. Anyone know of a 1/35 model? I’m interested in something that might have been used in Iraq either during the Iran/Iraq war or desert storm but am having trouble navigating that as I know precious little about it. It is kind of tactical though rather than general recon.

I’ve also become interested in the EF-111. It’s mostly doing radar jamming, but the first thing it has to do is find the radars. Again that may be a little too tactical.

Thoughts on either of these?

I would of thought the SAM radar would be fine, but the F111 (which I also love) may be stretching it a bit. It’s not so much Command or control, more denial?

I am with John. the EF-111 is not really an AWACS type aircraft. The EF-111 is more of a fog creating weapon (against an enemy) than a fog lifting one.

As to the Sam Sa-2 Radar, the one used in 'Nam and the middle east was basically the Romanian SNR-75M3 Fan Song E

http://www.ausairpower.net/APA-SNR-75-Fan-Song.html

Only ones I know of are1/72nd:

Yeah, I think you are right about the EF-111. Maybe we should have an increasing the fog of war campaign next year - stealth and jamming? I guess the downside of an idea like that is it might be a mostly wingy thingy…

That San Fong thing looks the business. I prefer to do 1/35 for stuff on the ground and can’t find that either. Does it always come with 3 trailers?

I sadly must agree: the Spark Vark, Wild Weasels, Growlers and Prowlers are more about poking a pointy stick into the other blokes eye. Dedicated recon wingy things have to be O.K., Spitfires, Blackbirds and all the rest. Airborne Radars - Avengers, Gannets, Magic Roundabout Shackeltons, Tracers, Hawkeyes, Sea King AEW and ASaC variants along with “Crowsnest” Merlins must be in along with the multitude of ELINT platforms which go back at least as far as the Graf Zeppelin.

Regards,

M

1 Like

Ooh I’d love to see somebody build a zeppelin!

2 Likes

It should be possible, the mission on the 2nd to 4th August 1939 was flown by LZ130, sometimes known as “Graf Zeppelin II” (as the previous “Graf Zeppelin” - LZ127 - was still in existence albeit decommissioned). LZ130 as built differed only slightly from her sister LZ129 Hindenburg as modified (LZ130 had been further modified by the time of her ELINT mission) so it really depends on at what point in her life the Hindenburg model is depicted; the nearer in time to her loss at Lakehurst the easier the conversion should be.

Regards,

M

I met an antiques dealer in Portsmouth some years ago who told me about a painting he had of the famous spy flight over the UK. He said a “foreign” gentleman expressed interest and wanted to buy it to hang in his head office, but he didn’t like selling bits of UK history to see them go abroad. (And this over a decade before UKIP and Brexit…) That is, until the gentleman handed him his business card - from the Zeppelin company! The dealer said he couldn’t think of a better home for the painting…

2 Likes

takom makes a ww1 era zeppelin - i’m sure it was used for recon…

3 Likes

Moving onto the final stages now.

All that’s left to go on are the 2 antennas… Although on the day it only had 1 up, I used a bit of artistic measure and decided on the 2 as it is the C.Os ride.
Have put on a very thinned natural grey wash from AK. Will let that fully dry out, then do some random panel lines with the AK one for black camo.

As it drys I like how it’s settling; there are some streaks and in some areas black underneath is coming through stronger which is what I wanted.

I retouched the flag pole and did the main upright in white, and for a bit of bling did the top cap in gold.

The base area is also pretty much competed… As I mentioned before, it’s just an old concrete sectioned hard standing, with a grass edge, and some old oil stains on the concrete.
Nomad will sit in the centre, gun front.

Stay tuned :grin::+1:

5 Likes

Nomad is looking fantastic John. When you first started this project I was wondering whether, being overall black, if it would be a stark monotone finish in the end. You have overcome that aspect in ‘Spades’.

1 Like

Thanks Peter, the grey wash has made a big difference to be fair and the few additional bits of colour draw your eye as well, Extinguisher covers, Tac signs, vision blocks, recovery ropes and butterfly etc

1 Like