M60/A1/A3 in IDF Service Reference Thread

Not mine. I used to be an Holborn guy…

Moving on with the side skirts. Easy assembly and nice detail, the mounting brackets are also easy to align. These will be left off until painted and weathered.

Meng also provides the two supports under the first two pieces of the sideskirts, a detail missed by Academy.

And here is a comparison with the Academy parts at the top and bottom parts are Meng

Meng sideskirts are a bit longer than the Academy ones, but I guess this is owed to the shorter hull length of the Academy M60 hull.

4 Likes

3 Likes

my dad was a “pack-and-a-half-a-day” smoker; and he smokes unfiltered Pall-Malls.

anyhow…

I’m following this thred closely. I want to build my kit so badly… :sob:

2 Likes

I added this guy a while back, Magach 6B Gal, Meng Model TS-044 (2019) I too l liked the look. The kit looks great in the box

Continuing with the turret, as I was building the Meng turret I noticed some variations in details. I will cover them in this post and then proceed to show the work on the Meng turret.

Mantlet armor shield.

At first the vehicles did not have the .50 cal mount. At some time there was a sheet of metal bolted on the shield and then the final modification was the mg mount

Armor modules
The steps on the modules got bigger and more robust over time. One can also notice gaps between the step of each module at first. Over time the steps got bigger.

Later step style

Antenna/sensor behind the crosswind sensor.

This is the one supplied in the Meng kit (it might be just a protective cover or something, although I have my doubts)

And this is what can be seen on most photos, provided in the Academy kit:

On the left side armor module there are three openings, one square at the front armor piece and two oval shaped at the back pieces (I am guessing to provide access to the mounting bolts securing the module in place) that at some point in time are closed off with bolted on caps.

Finally, the antiskid and the areas they covered with it varies from vehicle to vehicle and I think it was not added at first, especially on the armor modules at the sides and on the gun shield.

3 Likes

The Meng turret is a pretty straightforward build and the fit of the parts is exceptional. The level of detail is satisfactory and I found no obvious details missing.

The accordion for the mantlet is provided in soft DS like plastic and it was warped in my kit but it is very easy to soften with glue and fit it perfectly into place.

I chose to depict the Meng kit without the mg on the mantlet, so I adapted the Academy part to fit the Meng kit (Academy provides both options for the mantlet shield, so I decided do use the excellent Meng .50 cal to the the other build). I also added some Legend resin smoke launcher modules, since I prefer them covered with canvas and Meng supplies them open.

I used an AFV Club FN Mag without stock for the commander, since Meng provides both FN Mags with stock.

I did not use the provided cablewire, wirecable, wirerope, cablerope (which is the correct word I am confused). I used the synthetic thread Legend provides in their sets, I find it looks much better once painted and weathered. I will use Eureka wirecables for the other build.

I also added two AFC Club Galilons for the turret roof.

And some more photos

I used the pe number plates from the Meng 6B Gal kit and left the kit supplied ones for the Gal, since I need only two for this one and three for the Gal build. As I posted previously, Meng provided two plates in the Gal kit and three in the 6BGB kit, whilst it should be the other way around.

Overall I am pretty pleased with the Meng kit and it provided some useful guidelines and details in order to complete the much more complicated build of the Academy/AFV Club/Legend project.

9 Likes

Nice clean build. :+1: :+1:

Been wanting this kit but find it a bit pricy. Sooner or later I’ll find one at a more reasonable (to me) price.

3 Likes

Thank you. I agree on the price but I guess we should be getting used to seeing new kits priced over 70$ from now on. A price around 55-60$ is the top money I am willing to spend on an armor kit (I bought mine for 45 euros). With what is included in the kit (not much PE or decals or other extra stuff) the price should be around 55$.

1 Like

Great looking model and the added photos are a helpful touch
For some reason, Meng kits are $$ here in the US.

1 Like

It is 75-80 euros in shops here. I am lucky that I know the importer and can get them at a discounted price and I always wait to see if a kit is for sale at the various second hand groups on FB. For example I scored 5 AFV Club M60A1 kits for 30 euros each last year.

2 Likes

Something I forgot to write about and that Meng got wrong

Part D45 should be longer as it clearly protrudes from the mantlet shield

I need to add this details, plus some chains holding the cables, ropes, wires :thinking:

Also Meng supplies photoetch parts W2

which are supposed to be two straps for a stretcher. I have seen those in a couple of reference photos but they were on vehicles that did not have the front wire cables and their mounting points.

4 Likes

Steel Wire Rope (SWR).

1 Like

Another minor detail that puzzled me is the lifting eye on the front of the turret.

Meng supplies part F22 which clearly protrudes from the turret roof armor

but Academy supplies a short part that does not clear the turret roof armor

I had this photo clearly showing the lifting eye as Academy provides it, but does not make any sense from a practical point of view.

But then I found a couple of photos that show that Meng also got it right

I added the chains for the side skirts and the wire rope mounts on the turret

The only detail left to add are the straps for the box mount on the turret roof and then it is time for primer.

I want to see how the model surfaces look after priming before adding any kind of antiskid to the model because the detail is a bit on the shallow side and I am afraid that if I apply the antiskid with the usual method it will look odd and I might need to try something different with a finer grain.

2 Likes

That lifting eye is not on the original M60A1 turret, the IDF must have added it when the redid the armor on the tank. Then later made it longer to clear the add on armor.
Ken

3 Likes

Just an oversight on the refurb maybe ? sometimes you dont notice something until you need to use it ?

1 Like

Moving on with the parallel builds, time to start correcting and add details to the AFV CLub/Academy/Legend build, starting with the hull.

The belly armor needs to be corrected.

The front needs to be reshaped

in progress

The armor plate needs to be shortened

The rear hull mounting points need to be repositioned and the dimensions of the attachment brackets corrected.

5 Likes

This is hands down one of my favorite ongoing threads.

1 Like

Nikos, What are thoughts on this one mate ?

as OOB build ?

It is a pretty straightfoward build with options for adding the mineroller or doing a LIC version. It depicts an early version vehicle without a loader’s hatch. The tracks and suspension might prove a time consuming task. I also do not like the black plastic for the tracks, it is a bit brittle and does not take glue well. For under 60$ I would buy it. All the details are there, it has no major issues and the fit is superb.

2 Likes

Cool… It’s only £45 so I may hold off on the Mk3 and pull the trigger on this one …:+1::+1:

1 Like