MikeyBugs 3D Design and Printing Ideas

As to that canvas, hand grip strap.

Here is an idea you MIGHT want to try.
Consider offering a strap with a molded in partial figure hand shaped to properly fit to the camera as a separate accessory piece.
That, I would think, could be a real added attraction for your cameras.

And again this camera bellows is shown extended to the correct, proper length for normal, everyday Press, Commercial and Combat photography.

The hand grip just hanging loose. The grip was a fixture of this camera and it is rarely seen without one.

(I would get someone else to photograph me holding the camera so my hand would be at the correct angle and not so scrunched up as in this photo. My fingers actually wrap around to the inside of the camera box. That plus the hand grip gives the photographer a truly firm, solid hold on the camera.)

2 Likes

I particually like your Speed Graphic with the rear viewing hood extended. I will for sure be building some sort of tripod to pose that one on.

In truth the grapflex wooden tripod that came in the PH-104 kit, though a great looking design, was too flimsy and also a real time consuming PITA to assemble and set up. Many photogs only carried it as a back up, favoring the use of more commonly available regular tripods.

Showing many alternate (more traditional) period tripods in this photo below.

3aef7f627b4821c3a8dded560a62abd759d1dab9_2_444x375
In this photo the 2.25 x 3.25 Camera is mounted on the Graflex tripod and being kept low as the tripod is much more secure when used only at half height.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, I don’t have the modeling skills yet to model a hand. The best I was able to sculpt recently was this. It was just me playing around with Blender and trying out the sculpting tools.

And I can’t scan a hand and then shape it to the shape of the camera. I’ve asked about that and it can’t be done. If I had a box camera like this, then I could simply scan someone holding it and just put it in place on the model but I don’t have one. If you have the tripod, I can model that as well. I just need dimensions. I’m not confident it will print all that well but I’ll see.

But in other news, don’t think I’ve forgotten about previous models just because they’re up and selling. 1 picture and 15 minutes later and we have an AK-47 with a foregrip! I also put it onto the AKM.

2 Likes

Today I was finally able to scan my camera. Got some scanning spray in recently and after testing it out on a few less expensive pieces of hardware, I sprayed down my camera and came up with this.

The carrier liquid evaporates pretty quickly, within seconds, and the powder from the spray evaporates on its own in around 4 hours. It does also wipe and wash away.

2 Likes

As to scanning a hand holding the camera i guess i will just box myself, my camera and my helmet up and come down by FedEx. Though i am probably over their weight limit.

I would be seriously affraid to spray anything on my camera regardless.

1 Like

Your camera I don’t think would need the spray. It’s not a shiny black plastic/metal. Like most modern cameras, mine is shiny and smooth and just not a great scanning subject. The spray itself is self-evaporating. The carrier liquid evaporates in a few seconds and the powder evaporates in around 4 hours. And no offense, but I wouldn’t want to scan your camera anyway. Too much risk of damage.

Agreed. I was only joking there. I will risk the helmet but not the camera.

1 Like

Also, some pictures of a print I did of the cameras.

And the top of the Abrams BFT antenna. I’m surprised the wire I included was actually reproduced!

5 Likes

It all looks super!

I am communicating with the folks at graflex.org to try and date my flash unit. It is most certainly a later type design but the question is “was it used in WWII?”

2 Likes

I’m sorry I haven’t been very active for the past few days, we had a big event we were setting up and running recently at the state park where I work. Been very tired from that. 3D printing for you guys is fun, and I greatly enjoy designing all these various things that I never would’ve known of had I not started this, but it unfortunately doesn’t yet pay anything except the gas bill. I’m still working it though and I don’t plan on stopping any time soon.

Yesterday was mostly a maintenance day. A few prints processed and I mostly completed a new set of product labels. The labels I have now I made in Microsoft Word and are very finicky and annoying to make and use. I’m making the new ones on a website called Canva so I can simply have them as images that I can move around and more easily work with. Other than that, not much doing.

I did add a lip to the LTAS cab’s door and door frame. Make it more closely resemble the actual door. Still a bit or work to do but it’s there now.

3 Likes

I decided to do a quick little project and 2 days later, I have some Uzi’s. Like most of my firearm sets, it’s 6 guns, 3 with folded stock, 3 with extended stock, and 12 magazines.

5 Likes

How about some solid stock UZIs?

2 Likes

1 Like

That’s next. I was planning on getting that done but I had to run out quickly.

2 Likes

theses will look great for IDF builds from the 1967-73 period. Same with their FAL rifles.

Both light barrel…

And Heavy barrel.

1 Like

Just following up with some measurements for you:

e6e3a1bbca0948843fcac2624491a5e0676f709e_2_517x359

• Length: 6 3/8 inches (without darkslides)
  • Length With Darkslides Inserted: 6 13/16
  • Width: 4 11/16
  • Thickness: 1/2 in

Modeler’s Note: While both sides of the main dark slide were always black, the “finger grab” ridge across the top of the darkslide - one side was silver, (meaning unexposed) and the other side black, (meaning exposed) turning the dark slide over while you took a picture helped keep it all straight in your head.

The photographers were supposed to make this all second nature to themselves. Some of us had a little more trouble than others keeping that all straight in our heads while also working with the subject and trying to compose the picture. However the alternative was either double exposures, or no exposure at all.

1 Like

Mike please note this ridge on both sides of the film holder. This locks the film holder into the spring loaded back of the camera. It keeps the holder from pulling out of the camera when you pull the darkslide out.

This also means the holders do not lay flat when you stack them.

cdf614a3abaArrows

If it were me doing this I would offer one “splayed” stack of film holders.
14517751be4fa6d54cbe10de68ae53b7dc1dca83_2_517x357

One straight stack. (Straight more or less.)

And 4 to 6 individual two-sided holders.
![20230204_185637|666x500, 50%](upload://4NNdmzVFGj3kWKybapnXIi3Ho6Z.[quote=“165thspc, post:401, topic:4408, full:true”]
Mike please note this ridge on both sides of the film holder. This locks the film holder into the spring loaded back of the camera. It keeps the holder from pulling out of the camera when you pull the darkslide out.

This also means the holders do not lay flat when you stack them.

cdf614a3abaArrows

If it were me doing this I would offer one “splayed” stack of film holders.

14517751be4fa6d54cbe10de68ae53b7dc1dca83_2_517x357

One straight stack. (Straight more or less.)

And 4 to 6 individual two-sided holders.

1 Like

I’ve been looking into it along with the Galil. The Uzi Pro and Mini Uzi seem like good subjects too. I’d like to have a collection of Israeli small-arms available, at some point. If I find technical data packages for these gun’s it’d become much easier. That’s how I got the AK series done; I found a set of blueprints for the AK-47 and it was CAD’ed straight off of them

I’ll see. I need to finish off one long-running project though.

In other news, the wood stock Uzi was finished last night, both early and late stocks. And the door hinges for the LMTV LTAS are finished, also from last night. I’ll be mirroring the door over to the right side when it’s completely finished. I still have to change the windows around a bit and add in more details like the door handle and hydraulic cylinder. I’ll add in some detents to the hinges as well to help in positioning the door.

2 Likes