Modeling Armor of Operation "Iron Swords"

I didn’t know that it was still in service.

1 Like

Looking at the above images of the Achzarit, these are “Initial” all riveted hulls with the “aquarium” commander’s cupola fitted. Yes, I am a bit of an Achzarit trainspotter… To the best of my knowledge, there is no such cupola available in 1/35 to model that particular image. Maybe there will be one now. Or soon.

1 Like

You could fashion one from scratch; doesn;t look like a really hard thing to do. I know that Meng has both the Mk1 and Mk2 versions, and Hobby Boss also offers a version.

2 Likes

best to start with the Meng “Late”* as it has the correct running gear, ie Centurion. Yep, certified trainspotter. Plans for the cupola can be found in the Sabinamartin (check spelling on that) book on the Achzarit - I have both, but they are currently in storage.

• currently on sale at Hobbyeasy.
1 Like

Another good reference book on the Achzarit.

4 Likes

just to wrap this up, Meng have a good basis for more Achzarit variants, like the engineering vehicle and the ambulance - Legend’s in their update for the Achzarit include the rear step for the latter if one is so inclined.

3 Likes

Does this mean the price of IDF model kits will skyrocket? Will the price of Soviet armor kits drop a little as interests shift?

Israeli Merkava tanks are positioned in the upper Galilee in northern Israel near the border with Lebanon on Oct. 11. Photo: Jalaa Marey/AFP via Getty Images

israeli-tank-southern-gazaIsraeli army Merkava tanks are positioned near the border with Gaza in southern Israel on October 10, 2023. Israeli forces appear to be preparing for an incursion into the Gaza Strip.
JACK GUEZ/AFP VIA GETTY IMAGES

An aerial view of buildings destroyed by Israeli air strikes in the Jabalia camp for Palestinian refugees in Gaza City. Photo: Yahya Hassouna/AFP video Getty Images

4 Likes

Well? I have a handful of IDF kits, all of them are pre 2020, but this whole mess got me interested in building the Meng Mk-4M with the “Trophy” APS system.

Or…

4 Likes

I’m intrigued as to why you’d think the war in Gaza (or anywhere) would impact (increase) the price of any subject of kit beyond the obvious. I’ve not noticed this phenomenon as result of the ongoing war in Ukraine impacting the price of kits just because of the subject vehicle’s nation of origin.

3 Likes

Basically just a feeling that interest drives demand and interest right now is more focused on IDF AFV’s than in a long time. Enough demand driving price up or reducing discounts etc.

My impression is when Ukraine war started, modern T90/T72 kits sold out quickly at many online retailers that I frequent. Good deals disappeared and restocks were closer to retail in general with less discount. Say10% instead of ~20% etc. Restocks seems slower than normal etc. Nothing of the same sort seemed to occur with WW2 & Cold War era AFV’s. WW2 kits seemed to me more available with more frequent deals available as my purchase of good deals increased etc.

When news mentioned that Leopard I & II’s were going to Ukraine same thing seemed to repeat with Leo kits.

For instance the kit SableLiger mentioned the kit below.

The kit showed out of stock at Spruebrothers.com & Squadron Hobby as I checked after he posted.

Few days ago, when looking at Meng kits seem to recall that kit being in stock as I was looking to add something else to go with a Lightning :cloud_with_lightning: deal on a RFM Panther G as I hate to pay shipping for one kit.

4 Likes

Can you post links please?

1 Like

The Meng kit is very good, i’ve just built (and blogged it) on these forums. The only thing is, don’t touch the kit’s tracks with a barge pole. I used Friul and was so glad I did. I think Quick Tracks do Mk IV tracks too.

2 Likes

Too easy, HobbyEasy | IDF Achzarit Detailing set (For MENG)

If modelling the ambulance version, the markings are included in the Meng “late”, you can imagine my disappointment when no subsequent kit turned up. So I grabbed the Legend’s update, problem sorted.

Also, you’ll need to move the RWS to the left hand hatch, nothing too difficult.

4 Likes

I might be tempted to have a dabble at this. Not sure i’m really too bothered about the lack of cupola.

http://www.meng-model.com/en/contents/66/164.html

Meng also do this, which judging by what i’ve seen in pictures of the staging areas, are quite prevelant.

http://www.meng-model.com/en/contents/66/166.html

2 Likes

H.P.

8 Likes

H.P.

9 Likes

I would also suggest: “no file footage” of vehicles from long past. Real time only from 7 Oct 2023.

7 Likes

Excellent displays of inventory!! Modelers dream!!

I presently have in inventory Meng’s Merkava IV, with and without Trophy…and both APC’s, one based on the Russian chassis and the other based on a Merkava chassis. Modeling heaven.

2 Likes

Makes you wonder about the maintenance done here - or lack thereof. That track is completely worn out, as in most of the links are shot. Reminds me of the AFC Club kit I just completed. One side fit great, the other looked like this picture. Track pads missing from other shots, too. These vehicles are hanging by a thread.

2 Likes

Reynier, excellent thread :clap:

…and you’re a bad influence for getting me interested in a modern IDF tank…wink

In at $63, for the ride. What color should this be painted? Looks close to RAL 7027 in box art but I probably shouldn’t slap WW2 German Sandgrau on an IDF

Paint brand(s)?

(WW2 AFV builder, knows zero about IDF)

Thanks

2 Likes