Modeling Armor of Operation "Iron Swords"

Most of the brands have premade IDF colours - for my project I’m going with Mr.Color C530 - IDF Grey 3 (modern), but lots of other brands have something similar - look for IDF Sand, IDF Grey, IDF Sinai Grey or something similar in your favorite paint brand.

3 Likes

AK Real Colors makes an IDF set, Real Colors Paint Set 15, RC5015.

4 Likes

The colour you want is Sinai Grey, Ammo do a set.

However, i’ve found that photographs show Mk IVs anywhere from a light sand colour to almost black green, you seriously can’t go wrong anywhere in between.

My Mk IV was base painted Sinai Grey but i found that Golan Earth pigment achieved an effect more like most of the photos i’d seen. Here’s mine.

9 Likes

H.P.

5 Likes

Vallejo 71.023 Hemp is my go to for IDF armour colours.

8 Likes

Are all Israeli Armor Units now Merkava? if so, are all Merkava 3 and Merkava 4? Are any reserve units still Magach? Just wondering. Also, are there individual Brigade insignia to look out for when looking at photos and trying to ID units?

Finally, is this orbat from wikipedia current? Yes, yes, I know not to trust Wikipedia but I just did a quick search, dont have time right now for a deeper dive.

Thanks in advance…

2 Likes

For those seeking the correct colors for these vehicles.

Replicator came up with a mix formula for all colors used by the IDF since 1948.

I used it to mix the colors for my M51 build 1967 Sinai Tan).

Also found the mix combination recommended by Tiger Models for their Nagmachon heavy APC works as well.

Still, Vallejo and AL Interactive released their own paints.

5 Likes

Iron Dome near Sderot

H.P.

6 Likes

I like to use Vallejo Model Air 71.044 for my modern IDF armor. It was a great match for a paint chip I was given once.

4 Likes

According to various sources, by 2006 all Magachs in regular units had been replaced by Merkavas…

H.P.

3 Likes

Im in the U.k and on our BBC news bulletins ive seen lots of Humvees,Landovers,M113 command version,Namers,Merkava 3 and 4 and ive seen Gal Batash.I guess these are the reserve units that have been called in to await further orders.
Richard

2 Likes

H.P.

9 Likes

when you have over 300K Reservists being pulled into duty, you will need to pull vehicles from stocks everywhere, so don’t be surprised that we see a random Gal Batash or Gimel being trucked to the front.

Like I said before, this is an “ALL HANDS ON DECK” moment for the IDF.

3 Likes

Black Dog offers a myriad of 1/35 figures that will compliment the armor.

F35067

And supporting Infantry…

F35074

I wouldn’t be surprised a Tiran showing up for duty.

2 Likes

Great reference thread. If I may suggest, those that do not have any of the mentioned 1/35 IDF kit. Please, link the best review or build threads. Most modelers (my included) like to read what others have done or say about particular subject so one can feel $$ well spend or best bang for the buck.

2 Likes

Great idea. Let me pull out a short list of good build threads.

Meng Namer - Armor/AFV / Modern - KitMaker Network

Meng Namer AEV + Nochri Degem Dalet Mine Roller Build Blog(ish) - Armor/AFV - KitMaker Network

4 Likes

I believe that most surviving Tirans went to friendly Lebanese militias during the 80’s

1 Like

This is also my Merkava Mk IV build topic.

4 Likes

Uruguay has a bunch of them as well.

3 Likes