Modelling armour in Ukraine crisis

DANG!
:man_facepalming:

Yeah. TOtally forgot the Border Models Leo2. :man_facepalming:t4:

H.P.

4 Likes

Lots of ā€œdustā€ effects to lie about there!
:grin:

This ā€œnewā€ tank aid package seems to be sending to Ukraine about them same number of tanks Germany, Denmark, Canada and the U.S. had in Afghanistan. Anyone on here with knowledge from being there able to show why this would make such a difference between the outcome of the two events? what could be done differently that should have been done in Afghanistan? How they were used there I am not up to speed on.

Apples and oranges; ISAF and the US were not fighting pitch tank battles with the Taliban. Totally different situation.

3 Likes

Looks like this was once a Kamaz Typhoon-K MRAP.

1 Like

Totally understand that. But if and when the Russians are pushed back, curious why would this not switch to the Taliban way with Wagner?

What will be interesting is seeing how they re-cam the new arrivalsā€¦ Lots of potential to do Cr2, M1A2, Leo2 in a whole new unique cam scheme for these wagons ā€¦

1 Like

Agreeā€¦In this case, maybe ā€œMRAPā€ could be seen as an overstatement :roll_eyes:

H.P.

Who knows? But regardless; whatever hit it, made sure it had more than enough ventilation.

We wonā€™t know until it truly happens. Iā€™m not a military expert; I just watch the news like everyone else and opine based on my limited experiences as a former soldier.

1 Like

4 Likes

2 Likes

Still is, it has just been upgraded with improved ventilation for the crew compartments ā€¦

4 Likes

Iā€™m just going to have a wild stab in the dark, but maybe because Ukraine isnā€™t Afghanistan and Wagner arenā€™t the Taliban?

2 Likes

Afghanistan: Talibans were fighting on their home turf, highly motivated.
Foreign troops (many nations) were not fighting for their home and their families, they had just been sent there. Many, maybe all, were fighting for something they believed in.

Ukraine: Ukrainians are fighting on their home turf, fighting for their nations existence, their families and their homes.
Russian invaders have been sent there, in the beginning many of them didnā€™t even know where they were going. Those were contract soldiers and mercenaries. Now Putin sends (force)mobilised untrained and unmotivated soldiers to fight on foreign soil for a cause they may not really believe in. Fight with substandard equipment, some/many have to provide their own personal equipment, fight without all the equipment they should have.

Wagner: a mix of mercenaries and cannon fodder ā€œliberatedā€ from prisons. The convicts were given the deal ā€˜survive for 6 months and be a free manā€™, they donā€™t give two kopeks about the goals of the war, they just want to stay alive for 6 months.

I may be wrong but I think there is a big difference between the two situations.

8 Likes

without forgetting the geography of the terrain, most of Afghanistan is made up of valleys and very high mountains, Ukraine is totally the opposite, the only really mountainous areas are on the western border and in the south of the Crimea, both of which are very far from the front

2 Likes

Iā€™m not sure the Taliban were all ethnically Afghan, but it doesnā€™t matter, when fighting the Taliban, youā€™re fighting an ideaology - almost impossible to do. When fighting Russia, youā€™re fighting someone who has no idea - its different.

Also, the topology of the land makes logistics and mechanised warfare extremely difficult, lest we forget, no Army in history has gone into Afghanistan and come out intact.

Comparing Ukraine with Afghanistan is a lazy analogy. Almost a strawman.

Its like that time I (we?) were trying to convince that member on here that a splinter patterned camouflage on an AFV, which included greens and browns, was a very effective winter camouflage scheme, because it does, in fact, work vey effectively to mimmick nature. The member was of the opinion that it was a rubbish scheme, because looking out of his window in Montana, where you can watch your dog run away for two days in places, it was blanketed with pure white snow without a blemish as far as the eye could see, and a splinter pattern would be useless. Thatā€™s right, you can easily compare a central European theatre of war to Montana - every timeā€¦

At that point, i wished for a face palm emoticon.

4 Likes

Yep, driving vehicles on narrow roads at the bottom of deep valleys without controlling the ridges is the definition of ā€˜bad decisionā€™

2 Likes