Old School Shadow Painting & Finishing - Primer

The Russians w/washes are still drying and the Panzer’s after gloss coating are also drying.

Watching paint dry today :grinning:

…and the other T-34-85 is still waiting on it’s new decals to arrive…

6 Likes

You watch the paint dry Wade; I’ll watch the grass grow
:beer:

Ok Wade this is on you. I am building another Takom M60A1. Was going to do it in MERDC to go along with the MASSTER I did earlier. But, following your little tutorial here I decided I’m going to go for an all green machine as seen in Korea in the early 70s. Now I need another kit so I can do the MERDC. :grin: :grin:

1 Like

DV, sweet! Looking forward to seeing the All Green Machine bad boy! Besides that will add another M60A1 to the collection. More “Patton” makes everything better just ask Rommel :slight_smile:

I need M60inspiration and seeing your M60A1 will help motivate.

Small scale disasters in model tank land.

Drybrushing aggressively snapped the hull MG barrel and knocked over a nearly irreplaceable bottle of Floquil Dark Green Paint in one motion.

:flushed: :flushed: :flushed::flushed::flushed:

Would rather have spilled liquid cement bottle and lost the KV-1 than spill that half full bottle of paint. I don’t recall ever spilling that much paint before.

Looks like its time to fab up a paint bottle holder so the bottle will be far less likely to get tipped over. Probably something like this…

This says it all

3 Likes

Bummer. But as we all know s*** happens. Sucks about losing the paint though.

That’s very true S… happens.

Time for the old hod rod mentally of when one breaks something was really just time to upgrade it :slight_smile:

Must find those brass replacement Russian MG barrels ordered after the model was assembled.

Will working on this one today in the mean time.

5 Likes

More dry brushing on KV-1 while 2nd coat of clear coat cures on Pz IV F

4 Likes

Finished the Pz IV F, wanted to include as an example of the process.

Back to KV-1 land

5 Likes

In KV-1 land, probably one more round of dry brushing and some detail painting to go. Tracks needs a wash and dry brushing routine as well.

After drybrushing many models over the years these old well used paint brushes look rough. However, none of them shed bristles even in this condition. They are from various good quality manufacturerss. Quite a contrast to those worthless Army Painter “Master Class Dry Brushes” that shed hair like an exploding Tribble.

4 Likes

worthless Army Painter “Master Class Dry Brushes” that shed hair like an exploding Tribble.

That’s The Trouble With Tribbles. :grin: :grin:

4 Likes

The KV-1 after the extra drybrushing plus weathering.

The KV-1 is my forth model completed this year. Early in the thread, I mentioned also doing the RFM T-34-85 but I’ve lost focus for working on it for now.

So Thank you for your time and attention on Old School Shadow Painting.

It’s time to deal with an old adversary, that’s got my goat and escaped the work bench half a dozen times since 1994. My Ultimate Shelf Queen that 26 year old… now 27 year old salvage project, Tamiya Pz IV J.

6 Likes

That’s ok for now but soon you have to finish for the campaign. :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

Okay Wade now this will be the one that really gives you the ultimate sense of satisfaction. The one that’s been a RPITA for 26 years - kind of like when I finally got the last of my 4 daughters married off! :laughing:
I love Panzer IV’s especially the G,H, and J and would like to see this one get the full treatment. C’mon Wade, finish this one for us!

1 Like

@SSGToms, Matt you’ve definitely have a way with words! Yes, indeed that’s the plan to take care of some old business over the next week or so!

1 Like

Man, sorry about the paint - know what you mean about rather loos the model than the paint. While stirring an old bottle of Floquil D&RGW yellow last year, my stirrer knocked a hole out of the bottom the the bottle, clean as putting a BB through dad’s windshield 50 years ago. :shushing_face: Fortunately, I had dozens of bottle caps right there, and an empty Floquil bottle to pour what I caught back into. Only about a third was saved but, hey, that;s better than only a quarter.

Completed RFM T-34-85 #174, for the third of the three Shadow Painted models.

5 Likes

Crackin’ job. :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Looks great!

I just painted this one with your shadow method. Sadly on white it doesn’t show up very good.

I’m sorry the paint didn’t work out as desired. Hopefully it will on a future project.

White base color coat is one scheme that is a trickier to work with. I’ve used white on a spaceship but not on an AFV. I feel the contrast has to be sprayed a little harsher than looks right ie more dark color showing under the white and “tuned” with washes and dry brushing.