Torsten's bench works

Bella looks really good Torsten :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

They look great Torsten, even if they’re in the wrong scale. :grin: Looks like I only have one P-39 in the stash thought I had more. Hope I doo half as well on mine. :wave:

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback, guys, but it’s not finished yet! Have just sealed the decals. Matt varnish comes tomorrow hopefully. I will also take new photos tomorrow of Bella Red for my new Assembly Line thread over here … :slightly_smiling_face:

Peter, yes, I thought it would be good to restart this build blog in the new forum, which gives me the chance to see it as a continious blog with more work to follow.

Ryan, I’m glad if my build can give a helping hand for others. Thanks!

Mark, everyone of us has his favourite scale. Mine is 48 (and 35), yours is 72. I could never create such little gems in 72 like Magnus does. And all that matters is that you are satisfied with your own work in the end, no matter what others say. I found my way.

2 Likes

Awesome builds Torsten brings back memories of my foray into Eduard cobra’s of the Italian co-beligerent airforce. I really liked the kit though I think I filled my wing root gaps with polystyrene strip. Fantastic work as always my friend!!! Keep it coming buddy!!

1 Like

Thanks for your kind words, Chris! I have an Eagle Strike sheet here called “Venomous Cobras of the world”. Among others it also includes an italian and a french version. Might go for those also one day in the future … :thinking:

Bella White has got the final matt coating today. I’ll demask it tomorrow and add the final parts - propeller, door and exhausts. Everthing should be done by Tuesday or Wednesday. And Bella Red was at the photographer today … :slightly_smiling_face:

Okay, if I have not forgotten something I can call Bella White also finished … :slightly_smiling_face:

Bell P-39 Q “Airacobra”, USAAF, 46th FS, 15th FG, Makin Island, Summer 1943
Kit: Eduard 1/48

… and both Bellas side by side … :slightly_smiling_face:

These models are sure no easy assembly kits but with a little patience they turn into a rare seen bird on expos. My main goal was not to use as many PE parts as possible but to enhance the poor looking parts like exhausts and guns. I still have another older Dual Combo (RAF/VVS) and a few “Weekenders” of the Eduard Cobra. So there are a few more to come in the future. At least I have to build the machine of Grigori Rechkalov, the “ace of all P-39 aces”.

Please also check out Damian’s build of his Special Hobby “Bella Roo” from time to time.

This thread will be continued in the future. Still don’t know what wingy thingy it will be. Just have started a Bundeswehr ATF Dingo 2 in ISAF camouflage. Maybe you like to have a look.

Happy modelling!
Torsten :beer:

7 Likes

Beautiful work Torsten :slightly_smiling_face:
Thankyou for sharing! Looking forward to seeing what comes next :slight_smile:

1 Like

Excellent build Torsten, and as you said the P-39 isn’t a common sight either in the forums or on the show display benches. Your dual build here came up beautifully and I’m looking forward to the next chapter in your “Bella” story. For sure you need to build Rechkalov’s machine!
rechkalov_3
rechkalov_1

Thanks also for the bump to my thread (although it’s going slow right now)!

Cheers, D

2 Likes

Sterling effort, Torsten! A pair of real beauties!

1 Like

A devastating Devil indeed. A beautiful finish and a great pair of builds. Congratulations on a job well done.

1 Like

Thanks for all your kind comments, guys! Much appreciated! :slightly_smiling_face:

Damian, yes, that’s the option of Rechkalov what Eduard also offers in this dual combo. Still don’t know when I’ll build the next one. Sure not this year … But the next Cobra should be in RAF camo for sure.

But now, on to new sins …

Torsten :wave:

1 Like

Nice builds and nice photos too. Thanks for bringing more light to one of all time favorite aircraft.

1 Like

Torsten, great work on your P-39s - I’ve been enjoying this thread!

As an aside, I came across an interesting tidbit in Evgeniy Mariinskiy’s Red Star Airacobra - Memoirs of a Soviet Fighter Ace; the Soviets, who liked the P-39 very much, called them Bellochkas, which was a play on the manufacturer’s name Bell (“little Bell”) and the Russian word belochka, an affectionate name for a “little squirrel”.

2 Likes

Thanks for your feedback, HG and Tim! I guess it’s quite obvious what my favourite WW2 fighter is … :thinking: And close to it comes the P-38.

This thread will be continued soon, but not with a P-39. Have already looked at my stash and have something in mind. But first let me finish the ATF Dingo at the Armorama Forum.

Tim, I think, the Russians had several nicknames for the Airacobra. Somewhere I read it was also “Kobrushka” (little cobra).

Very nice indeed Torsten !

1 Like

Now that my Dingo is running its final lap on Armorama before leaving the assembly line, it’s time to think of the next kit to approach on my work bench. I have picked a long time resident out of my stash. It’s the Heinkel He 219 A-7 “Uhu” from Tamiya in 1/48, which I have at least for 10 years in my stash … :grin:

… Sprue A has the fuselage side, cockpit and engine parts …

… Sprues B and C have the right and left wing parts and the rudders …

… Sprue D is 2 x in the box and holds the landing gear, parts for the FuG 220 Lichtenstein Radar, plus some more engine parts. Not sure yet, if I use the pilots …

… Sprue E holds the clear parts …

… you have already seen it in the second picture, Tamiya offers the cockpit floor as a metal part as there is not much space for weight in the nose. I hope it will be sufficient, otherwise I’ll try to put some lead balls in the engine nacelles …

… the build will be out of box, only extras are the Eduard mask EX 161 and brass made parts for the FuG220 from Modellbau Schatton. I’ll give them a try. If I fail, I still have the kit parts … :grin:

… the instruction is clear as usual. 16 steps, including sub-assemblies, will bring me to a good result, hopefully …

… Tamiya offers 2 options for this kit, NJG 1 and NJG 3, both from May 1945 …

… both airplanes look alike, except for the black underside only on the NJG 1 machine, that’s why I’ll build this one as shown on the box art …

… paints are quite easy here, Black on the underside, RLM 76/75 on the upperside. I wonder how I manage the RLM 75 mottling . Well, I 'll see … :innocent:

I’ll start the build some time after my christmas break and hope to show first progress pics in January. Until then I wish everybody here a Merry Christmas - Frohe Weihnachten - Hyvää Joulua - God Jul - Joyeux Noel - Feliz Navidad - с Рождеством !

Happy modelling also in 2021!
Torsten :beer:

8 Likes

Torsten! Something to look forward to after Christmas :slight_smile:! Stay safe!

:raising_hand_man:

Magnus

Interesting topic Torsten :slightly_smiling_face:

Best wishes to everyone for Christmas and the New Year :tada:

Yes! The heavy twin night-fighters are high on my list of favourites. The He-219 is right up there with the P-61 and the Beaufighter, so I’m very much looking forward to this build Torsten.

Seasons greetings to everybody, stay safe and well and have a great Christmas.

Cheers, D

1 Like

Looking forward to the post Christmas start. Merry Christmas Torsten.