Shermania 2024

Just about every Sherman, if not every Sherman, had an internal gasoline powered auxiliary generator when the tank’s main engine was shut off. It was located about mid left sponson and had a metal tube to exhaust the gases from the interior. This tube ran along the hull to the rear.

Tube protruding seen under the “7”.

Exhaust tube tucked in along the left hull sponson, it begins just forward of the last bogie with the pipe coming out of the hull there (the idler wheel is just right and can be seen).

Shown at the end of the hull.

Now modelled:

10 Likes

DSC01048
Glued the HVSS.

DSC01049
Added some parts and holes to the upper hull rear plate that I forgot.

DSC01051

Also glued the rest of the gun barrel.

8 Likes

Finally made my choice for this campaign; a M32B3, PTO 1944
For that I have to mix 'n match a few things. I need an M4A3 hull (from the other Italeri kit), the T49 tracks from the Zvezda M4A2 (just because I like those) + matching sprockets and maybe some other bits 'n bobs from several boxes.
With the “remains” I shall make a USMC M4A2 with the extras like side armour, probably w/ wadingtrunks etc. The Zvezda turret will be replaced by the Italeri turret and I will add T54E1 tracks with duckbills as well.

11 Likes

Interesting Frankenproject!!! :astonished: :+1:

3 Likes

Interesting, I have those kits minus the Zvezda A2. I would use Panda Plastic tracks instead if doing that.

1 Like

That is some great info!! Thanks for pointing that out, I tried to remove one of the lights but it is too risky for the guards. I will have to leave them on.

I have not decided which specific vehicle I will do, I am thinking either

Cannonball

Condor

or Cuddles (best name ever)

5 Likes

I have never seen the wire around the turret and hull on Cuddles before.

The inset is interesting as it’s close between the two images but not the same.

Great photos, thanks for sharing. :+1::+1:

I was planning on doing Chicago from the Archer sheet for my build.

3 Likes

That wire is why I might not do Cuddles. According to this text:

In the book, “Tanks in Hell: A Marine Corps Tank Company on Tarawa,” the authors note that Cuddles, Chicago and a few others are seen with “small support brackets” welded to the turrets and hull sides, presumably to hold wire on which camouflage vegetation could be hung.

Source: Fisher M4A2(75) with small hatches

Still working on the issue with the yellow or grey elephant…

2 Likes

Thanks for that information. Makes sense for to do.
I need to reread that Ed Gilbert’s (RIP) book. It was either that one or his WW2 tank battles where I saw they removed the TC’s guns.

Good luck on the elephant. I am leaning towards yellow but I could see where someone could make a compelling case of it not being yellow.

2 Likes

Is the uniform of the photo the same as the figure on the right? I have the set and could use it.

2 Likes

I’ll be using 2 figures from thw same kit!

2 Likes

Every time i poke my head into this thread, i am tempted to buy yet another Tamiya M4 Early Production, to convert into a proper Marine M4A2; the previous one i build was OOB, but as explained on my build thread :point_right: And another Sherman is born - Armor/AFV / WWII Allied - KitMaker Network.

The stock Tamiya kit has a handful of inaccuracies that are annoying to a quasi-Sherman puritan like myself, but can be fixed. The overall kit is fun to put together; so much that I decided to leave the above build as-is and make it into an ETO build; then buy a second kit and fully commit to it as a Marine PTO build with the whole “KIn N’ Kaboodle” - Plank armor, spare track applique up front, etc…

8 Likes

While I second the idea, depending on how cheap you’re getting the Tamiya kit. I think the Asuka kit can be had for only a few dollars more. SB has the Caesar kit for $43 and I think the Fay kit could work also for $41.

4 Likes

+1 to what Ryan says. The Asuka Caesar kit is light years ahead of the Tamiya kits in detail and just as good in fit. The molding and detail is so good you don’t need aftermarket. At $43 it is a bargain. Excellent kit.

6 Likes

Thanks Matt and Ryan. Good advice on both counts. i will be looking at the Asuka Caesar.

2 Likes

Welp? THere you go. Pulled the trigger on both the kit (through Sprue Brothers) and the plank side armor (from Value Actual through eBay). Add another Sherman to my stable. :grin:

4 Likes

Love it when plan comes together. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

John Hannibal Smith GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

5 Likes

There is no 12 step program for a Shermaholic!

5 Likes

I could not relax knowing that there should be an exhaust deflector on my tank, so after some measuring, chopping, modifying etc I adapted the Academy exhaust deflector. It will look more convincing once painted. I opted for a reindorced lip deflector rather the thin lip one shown on the manual.

12 Likes