Siege of Malta Campaign

I looked at several YouTube videos to gain some help with diorama ideas on WW II US Navy carrier decks. And came across this video.

Flight Deck Crews: Landing & Re-Spotting World War 2 Aircraft Carrier Planes

Before I actually started cutting plastic, I thought it might be a good idea to try my hand at the complex camouflage. Didn’t turn out too bad, but might need a little more practice.

I don’t know if the colours I used are right, just the first bottles I grabbed that looked about right.

2 Likes

That looks pretty good to me. I guess you’ll put a filter over it to integrate the colors? I don’t know whether it should be high contrast or more muted. But you’ve done a fine job with the pattern, at least in my eye.

1 Like

Thanks, it’s quite a complex pattern!
I was already thinking of using a slightly paler sand as the one I grabbed for the test is a little on the orange side (much more so in the flesh than the photo).
I think it needs something to tone it all down and bring together. Would be easier to achieve sprayed, but I don’t think my airbrushes go down that fine. I think the squiggles need to a bit closer together looking at photos.

Attempt number 2.

Dulled the base sand yellow with some buff, used a different shade of green and the same red-brown, only this time thinned a little bit more.
Painted the squiggles a little finer and tighter together. Held at arms length, I think this looks a bit closer to what I want to achieve.

Somewhere I have a tube of pale sand coloured oil paint and I think it might work in blending it all together and softening the edges. Will experiment with that when I find it.

Any thoughts and tips are welcome.

3 Likes

I think that looks great! It’s going to look doubly great on a full plane.

1 Like

Thanks Phil.
I think it will look really cool when it’s done, but a lot of work. This is why I tend to look at my small number of italian planes and put them back on the shelf! Will have to mess around with the airbrush and see if I can get it to spray that fine or at least close enough. It would make life easier!

Finally have some paint on the hull of my HMS Zulu. Hull is 507B and the superstructure will be 507A when I get to building it.

5 Likes

Phantom,

The kit is from Trumpeter.

Mark

1 Like

Let’s make a bit of a start on this Z1007.

First I need to tackle is the cockpit. Very basic and typical of the time period.

From little in way of references I’ve been able to find, it’s cockpit was identical to the Z506’s. Which luckily I do have in the stash and it has a much more complete cockpit.

I’m going to use the parts as templates to scratch something together. I’ve also got Yuhu’s printed etch instrument panel on order for the 506, so the originals can be donated to the 1007.
At least that’s the plan.

3 Likes

That is one nice looking seaplane.

Mark :beer:

1 Like

It is very cool.
I was in two minds about building this one for the campaign. It has markings for a captured aircraft used by the RAF on Malta for air-sea rescue.
The story goes that the original Italian crew picked up the survivors from a Beaufort brought down in the Med. The Beaufort crew over powered the Italians and forced them to fly to Malta.

1 Like

Hi all,

Really interesting builds going on here. Bob, hope you’re doing well, radiation sucks, but the Big C sucks more. Good luck!

So, most of my modeling is based on WW2 Pacific stuff, so this campaign gives me the honor of really stepping out of my comfort zone.

Here’s my start pic for an Italian fighter that had a pretty decent track record.

This is pretty nice kit! An added bonus is the decals, Cartagraph are really well done.

Well before I knew it, I had an airframe!

Off to the paint office, and things took a bad turn. Not sure why either, heat, rain, Tuesday? Pretty sure it was the black (spray can knock off brand), that was used as a primer. I did manage to eek out respectable base coats of RLM 65 (Gunze) and Light Sand (Tamiya).

I’d also point out during this time I was experimenting pretty hard in the paint department. My experimental results are basic house paints no matter the thinning dilution or air pressure don’t really work on plastic models. I did give it the ole college try! Learn from this, and go and get the nice paint.

These shots were taken after the original paint was laid down. It was rough, and not very nice. I did something I’ve not done, but read about. I sanded the whole bird with 3500 grit sanding sponge under running water. I had to set it aside to allow for drying, but the finish was nice and smooth. I had to repaint the whole plane, but I’m pretty happy with the results.

4 Likes

I like it! I did the toy model - I like your real one!

I’ve decided on my entry for this.

I’m going to build this as a plane from LG1 in the sand(mumble) color. I’ve found some available decals for that and already have a mask for all that glass.

4 Likes

Now that I have finished up some armour campaigns the shipyard has reopened and I am back to working on HMS Zulu. So far progress has been swift.

All superstructure components are on and have railing installed. All thats left is the ships boats, weapons and main deck rails. Hopefully she will be completed pretty soon.

4 Likes

McRunty,

Looking sweet. I finished my version over the winter and found this kit was most enjoyable. I just wish I was able to find better photos of the Zulu for reference.
Again nice looking build.

Mark :beer:

Agreed, there are so few out there and even less for the time period I am building her for. I am sure I have some accuracy issues with my build simply due to lack of reference pics.

And we are done. HMS Zulu in something that resembles her fit out and colors in 1942.

The more astute will notice she lacks her screws and that’s because I don’t possess them yet. The kit screws are completely wrong and I am waiting till I have a big enough order to justify the shipping from MicroMaster in New Zealand.

Fun little campaign and I am glad it gave me the motivation to pull her from the stash and get her done.

4 Likes

Your Zulu turned out really nice Rory. The screws will be the icing on the cake.
Congratulations on finishing.

And you’ve just reminded me that somewhere I do have their 1/700 Tribal class.