Skis, skids, and floats

Thanks for all the comments, guys. I am also quite satisfied.
I will post pictures once it is in its natural habitat.

2 Likes

Oh, okay, now I get it… Judges, “nicht anfasen!”

—mike :grin:

3 Likes

Great job Jesper. I’m glad you left the camo scheme without the squiggles. It looks fantastic the way it is.

3 Likes

Time to trim some fat. :hocho:

Thinned-down the fuselage cockpit areas.

Also added fuselage ribbing.

• Evergreen Styrene Rod 218 .020” (0.50mm)

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

[EDIT] Image added.

Swiss Cheese fuselage divider. :cheese:

• Evergreen Styrene Sheet (9020) .020” Thick (0.5mm).

フライネイビー! :saluting_face: :jp:
—mike

8 Likes

Started the wing markings for now, still working fine although they are at least 31 years old…Made in Czechoslovakia! :+1: :grinning:

Cheers
Peter :raising_hand_man:

11 Likes

Time for me to step in to the ring with my entry. It is a kit from 2010. The instructions leave to be desired, but the parts look finely detailed (in the bags). Wish me luck!

8 Likes

To illustrate the quality of the casting

5 Likes

The Arado 196 is an excellent kit! Outstanding really!

I am woking on the 196B (single float) right now

2 Likes

So I notice! I am really impressed with the level of detail!

4 Likes

A most terrifying dry-fit session! 🫨 :grimacing: :sweat_smile:

At first Jake was a tail-sitter, so I added weight to the float noses. But at this stage (on his perch) Jake became a nose-sitter — had to add weight back to the tail.

When all screwed and glued together, and with a few minor tweaks, the launch cradle will be cranked way back to the rear of the catapult per the reference image. Until then, I’ll need to. keep the center of gravity as-is.

99409592-14E8-4A93-BFB1-DAF872B022BC_1_201_a
Image for reference only.

The juggling act continues… :man_juggling:

—mike

10 Likes

Very impressive!

2 Likes

Good luck!! Looks fantastic so far! :+1:

2 Likes

Looks great, Michael!

2 Likes

Thank’s guys! Glad you like it so for!

—mike

2 Likes

Enough with the balancing act! …

krusty-juggling-d-build

Built everything up, only to tear it down again… Modifications continue on ‘Jake’ and the catapult cradle launch/return system. :hammer_and_wrench:

Added tail weight to the fuselage. Couldn’t begin to say how many grams… wish I had a scale. :balance_scale:

‘Lead Fishing Weights’
‘Bob Smith Industries (BSI-201H) Quik-Cure 5m Epoxy’

This should do it as far as balance concerns. Waiting on a ‘Syren Rope’ delivery so I can fish a cable through the catapult return system. Also, paint should begin soon.

Thank’s for having a look!

—mike

4 Likes

Poor quality photos here, don’t know if they will be of much use to you.

Unknown

arado-ar-196-catapulte_zpsas0herhh

5 Likes

Thank’s Michael! Yes, helpful in putting things into proper perspective. … Though from a different Navy, I do like the last photo of the floatplane taking off with flaps down.

—mike

Great to see that you added the internal rib spars as extra detail. Nice!

I just presumed the Germans and the Japanese shared technology on such a project. Also between the wars the US probably allowed the Japanese to crawl all over our Battleships.

Again different Navy. Here is my 1/32nd single float Arado 196 B that I am working on.

More on construction of my single float Arado B:

I was not really sure just how I was supposed to handle the instrument panel. The decal is very complete but perhaps I was supposed to sand all the three dimensional instruments off before applying the decal. It only just now occurred to me: perhaps I put the instrument panel on backwards and those molded in instruments were actually supposed to be the REAR of the panel. ( I am a relative newbie to aircraft modeling.) Someone please set me straight on this!

The model has a beautifully done BMW radial engine ( Again it looks very impressive to me!)

The kit even offers the little BMW logo decal that goes in that little circle at the bottom of the engine. (Not applied yet.)

Also on the lookout for some really fine screen wire to go over these air intakes:

5 Likes

Looking really good! :star_struck::+1:

—mike

Office gossip… :yawning_face:

Today, I painted the ‘Jake’ three-cubicle office. I don’t usually spray LifeColor, and like most of my paints, this was a really old bottle. But the color matched what I had in mind, so…

This time, I strained the paint before loading it into the airbrush and thinned it with distilled water (approx. 50/50 or so). The airbrush performed well while making several light passes and using a hair dryer in between. I believe the result came out okay. …:paintbrush::paintbrush::paintbrush:

Still waiting on a figure delivery before I can permanently close-up the fuselage. :calendar:

—mike

2 Likes