You will use the rest of the campaign just to choose what Option to build from that Eduard kit. It looks great, and the pilot is a nice touch.
I think you’re right. Even if I don’t do it for the campaign, it may free up another Spit in my stash.
I may do the early version as the prototype.
Got the fuselage together this morning…
No major issues, but may need the tiniest amount of filler just in front and also behind the canopy on the seams …
This is as far as I go this week as I away on a course now so no bench time for me …
Nice work Johnny. You like Tamiya paints too I see.
Cheers Pete. Yeah, I cant fault them really ( except to say maybe they could a few more significant colours to the range that they are missing) I have a decent collection, and usually only the get the ones I needs, but i have pretty much most of them now in the XF range… I did get introduced to the AK RC range by Matt @SSGToms and I cant sing their praises enough and they are my other main go to range to use … In fact a few post back I showed the AK RC RAF day scheme set that will be going on this when its ready …
While I am up here on my course, I actually just re-watched the Guy Martin documentary where he helps in the rebuild of a Mk1 that crashed at Dunkirk on YouTube… well worth a watch if anyone has never seen it …
I also use AK rc range too Johnny
Here is some work i managed on mine on Sunday. These are all mask paint areas as I only use the stencil decals at the end.
These are the masks…and if you are confident enough you can reuse. Notice I only used the one roundel for both wings…leaves me with spares.
Couldnt do the same with the letters as I sprayed that and the tail band all together.
Got the cockpit in, it was a bit of fight to get everything staying in place putting the fuselage halves together.
Then i added the wings. The fight i had getting the upper and lower halves together was an indication of how this whole has gone together so far.
Lots of tape and clamps to try and hold the wings in place while the glue dried, still left me with some gaps and I’ll still need a clamp to hold the right side upper surface level with the fuselage.
What i should have done is thin the wheel well pieces to reduce how much flexing was required to get the wing halves joined, then everything else may have lined up better.
Damn, that is a sweet paint job!
Looking good tho Iain.
Thanks Erik the masks make a huge difference. Look so much more realistic and easy to use. You just have to line them up correctly at each spray stage. Plus you dont need gallons of micro set and sol lol
they look great!! where did you get them?
Got these off ebay. But its the same company i have bought from at shows.
This is their name and website.
Calling my Spit nearly done! Better photos will still follow.
Good luck for your nice builds, mates!
…“business” as usual…
Nice looking seafire there Peter
So I had another build to finish, but now my attention is fully on the Spitty.
Aircraft lettering done
And i have started the roundels on the lower wing areas
Need to wait till tomorrow for the white to dry before doing the red and blue.
Did get the exhausts fitted
Nothing to do with a Spitfire being built, aside from a reference point of view… but I came across this photo of Johnny Johnson on the wing root of a Spit and thought it would be some good reference regarding some details such as the invasion stripes, wear, muzzle covers, and what not…
Thanks Carlos. Yep already have that along with a few others I found on the net.
Got back yesterday from the course, and managed to get back to the bench for an hour …
Assembled the wings, they look nicely detailed and had a lovely fit.
And a dry fit to the fuselage…
Again, a really nice flush fit on all the joins, it may need the tiniest sanding on the underside at the rear, but apart from that it all looks great
slow progress on my Eduard IXC spit. as great as they say this kit is i am not that impressed. i don’t like the way the cockpit goes together. the rear armor plate does not line up with the fuselage and test fitting the fuselage halves is difficult, practically non existent guide pins don’t allow the halves to stay aligned.
Anyway i got the pit almost done and i plan to make it in flight so i grabbed a pilot out of an airfix spit kit, took a best guess at the color. i am not done with him yet, still need to shade the highlights, another coat of yellow on the life vest and a wash for the face and an overall dull coat.
and the dash using the kit supplied decal and walthers solvaset. used dabs of mr color super clear for the gauge lenses. came out pretty good i think.
Nice work Johnny its look good.
Hey Joe looking good. The pilot looks good to me. The spitfire looks so much cooler with its legs up. Look forward to the end result.