Sprue Cutter Showdown

Did you try Volks USA?

Volks USA is sold out. Michigan Toy has them but ~ 1/3 more than other sources. :frowning_face:

If you join Michigan Toy Soldier for rhe newsletter there’s a nice discount on the ZKM Pro nippers. I ordered from MTS a couple of days ago for ~$40 plus shipping.

The best price I found else where was $36 but they were out of stock.

FYI - finally back in stock at BNA Models!! I have just ordered a set :grin:

1 Like

@SSGToms , one year after your original post, and providing you are still using them, how do they age? Have you noticed any wear?
Thanks!

1 Like

After one year of nearly daily use (really, I’m retired and build almost every day) I can report that the Zoukei - Mura nippers are still as sharp as the day that I got them and in perfect condition. They still cut like butter. This is a fine precision tool that’s built to last.

2 Likes

Just got mine yesterday and I have to say that @SSGToms is 100% on the money. The difference between the GH and these is quite obvious. The GH feels like a tool, the Pro-Zetsu feels like not just a precision tool as Matthew said but, I would add, a precision instrument.

But, dare I say it, are we witnessing the start of an Arms Race of Nippers? And if so, where will it go from here? :sweat_smile:!

1 Like

Lasers

1 Like

Mine will be here soon! I’m pumped

1 Like

Broke down and went with Michigan Toy. Hope it will be here in the next 2 weeks. :wave:

1 Like

I think that arms race started long ago.

GEN 0 Nipper - Caveman Tech
Twist parts off of tree with fingers

Gen 1 Nipper - Repurposed nail clipper

Gen 1.5 Nipper - Repurposed cuticles nippers
GUEST_388dcee4-87be-424d-b623-92e65f03a09a

Gen 2 Chinesium Flush Cut from hobby show vendor. Works well enough but doesn’t hold edge.

Gen 3 The “All American” Xuron’s
They chop, they hold an edge. They are also too big for delicate work. Useful to chop the big sprue gates.

Gen 4 “Cooking With Gas!” aka Pacific Rim High Tech

GodHand are the best of this lot…or the half dozen or so I’ve tried…

Gen 5 New Wave Tech

Behold the Zoukei - Mura

7 Likes

That’s a scholarly approach with compelling evidence!
I would argue for adding two more generations:

Gen 0.5 Nipper Box Cutter/Stanley Knife’

Gen 2.5 Nipper Dollar Store/Pound Store/Budget Store/Amazon/Aliexpress Tech’.

I went through both of these generations!

4 Likes

Outstandingly good idea :+1:

Agreed :+1:

I think that arms race started long ago.

GEN 0 Nipper - Caveman Tech
Twist parts off of tree with fingers

Gen 0.5 Nipper Box Cutter/Stanley Knife’

Gen 1 Nipper - Repurposed nail clipper

Gen 1.5 Nipper - Repurposed cuticles nippers
GUEST_388dcee4-87be-424d-b623-92e65f03a09a

Gen 2 Chinesium Flush Cut from hobby show vendor. Works well enough but doesn’t hold edge.

Gen 2.5 Nipper Dollar Store/Pound Store/Budget Store/Amazon/Aliexpress Tech’.

Gen 3 The “All American” Xuron’s
They chop, they hold an edge. They are also too big for delicate work. Useful to chop the big sprue gates.

Gen 4 “Cooking With Gas!” aka Pacific Rim High Tech

GodHand are the best of this lot…or the half dozen or so I’ve tried…

Gen 5 New Wave Tech

Behold the Zoukei - Mura

4 Likes

I’ll add to the conversation, found this from DN Models blog:

1 Like

Since the wife was buying on Amazon i hot a pair of Godhands and like them way more than my Xurons. Ill try the Z’s, ill order when shes out of town, she’ll never know the difference.

3 Likes

Next Gen is here, ultrasonic cutter:

Yet more expensive than the others…

4 Likes

You left out the kitchen knife…

3 Likes

I am happy that my article is now backed up by peer review. Those of you who buy a pair of ZM nippers will be amazed that there can be such a difference. You definitely won’t regret it.

1 Like

Just dove back in to a Miniart D7 started a few years ago - the individual track link components would have been far more difficult without the ZM nippers . Worth every penny and then some so thanks again Matt .

2 Likes

I have been using the DSPIAE cutters and am fairly happy with them. However this great thread has convinced me I want to try the ZM’s.

So, does anyone have recommendations for buying them in the UK?

1 Like