T-54/T-55 Campaign

Hi all! Some progress with my Type 69.

We have 120 clean links here, buy we need 184.

And hull finished.

Next step: turret, of course.

4 Likes

Nice work. For some reason I thought Takom had track links that were already prepped like in their Chieftain kit. Cleaning 180 individual links == no fun!

1 Like

Nice progress, Tomas

Yuri, that is definitely an advantage in painting when keeping wheels and tracks separate. However, I often find it is difficult to make the track links line up correctly afterwards. The connection between the track runs will sometimes be very noticeable or there will be a gap.

Interior completed …

by Rodolfo Masti, on Flickr

8 Likes

It looks great Rodolfo. The colouring on the brass is very convincing.

Very nice, Rodolfo. Too bad much will be hidden. This T-55 will have a heart of beautiful details.

if this campaign is still going I will continue to add updates on the MIniart 1/35 T-54-2… after a very long time staring at this one (ok did matt varnish it a while ago) started on the bits and bobs left… first off wooden log for rear and fuel tanks added…

4 Likes

Good to see it back on the bench Rob.

I have been doing some work on my Tiran 5 over the past few weeks. Bench time has been a bit limited, but the detail painting is well under way. I masked the barrel to add white stripes and the tape removed the black and the primer from the barrel tip when I took it off ! Never had that happen before… so taped up and ready for tip to be sprayed again, as well as some gloss so I can add decals.

Kit decals are for a post 1973 greenish sand colour vehicle, but I wanted to do the earlier more yellow shade… so generic markings will be the go. I am amazed at how few photos there are available of Tiran 5 in service. How she looks at present:

7 Likes

The campaign is still going. We have two more months…

Looks Great, Peter. Do you have the books on the Titan from Ak interactive? They are quite cool.

1 Like

Thanks Jesper. I have the ‘Tiran in Lebanese Service’ from Ammo/Mig and ‘T54/5 to IDF Tiran 4/5’ from Abteilung 502. I also have the old Verlinden Publications ‘Warmachines No. 10’ which is just photos of the Latrun Tiran vehicles.

1 Like

Ok, cool. It was the T-55 to Tiran I was referring to. Otherwise I would have checked for operational pictures for you, but you already have it :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi folks,

this is just a heads-up that we have about 2 months left to go on this campaign. When it say it, that sounds like an eternity in terms of building a kit, but I realize life has intervened and I haven’t touched my T-55 for quite some time, so I thought it worthwhile to give folks a gentle reminder.

4 Likes

I need to touch up the paint on mine - chipped the barrel somehow . It has been raining for a few days and there is way too much water in the air… but it will be done. Then I can finish the weathering.

Figures…well… 3rd time lucky?

1 Like

I got the base coat on mine, but it will probably be another week before I can start on the camouflage. It will be done in time, though. :+1:t2::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

A layer of primer…

and the first layer of paint …

5 Likes

Basic camouflage colors are on. Next are a lot of black lines to keep the colors separate.

More to follow :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Out of the ordinary indeed. On what fid you base this scheme? Fan of T55s myself so I am very curious. Looking very good so far. :+1: :+1:

Armorsmith, thanks for the comment.

It is one of the Syrian schemes from the 1967 war as I recall. It has been debated what colors are used. Some claim there are three colors, some four colors. I used miniart’s box and profile as inspiration.

Indeed very unique and kind of French early WWII looking.
In addition it fits reasonably well with the version of the ESCI T-55 kit I am building. ESCI just states T-55 so it took a little research to find out what version is actually in the box.

4 Likes

How are you going to do the black separation lines? Paint pen, marker? Good luck.

1 Like