The Great War - 2023 - multi-genre

I’ve got a WnW Gotha float. Does that warrant consideration in this genre?

1 Like

The one-off UWD? It is Phil’s call, but that aircraft was used to bomb Britain in 1916, so I would say yes, it participated in WW1.

1 Like

You bet. I’d love to see it!

1 Like

Impressive rigging!

1 Like

Some great builds going on and a very impressive rigging job by @Amegan on the Handley page.

Always liked the look of the CSM kits and the Meng Whippet kit so looking forwards to those builds.

2 Likes

My two camel fuselages are done. The attachment of the guns to the instrument panel is fairly wonky, but other than that everything fits pretty well together. If you are building these new camels, don’t attach the control stick until you have the floor attached to the fuselage. It doesn’t go together the way the instructions say it does and you have to slide the floor into place which will just break the control stick.

Next up is making a pilot figure for each plane.

Actually now that I look at the pics I see the next thing is to fix the tailskid that broke off. I was convinced that was inevitable, perhaps it has occurred earlier than I had imagined…

7 Likes

Pushed the O/400 on a bit, got the colour and decals on but had another attack by the carpet monster which has taken a Lewis gun. 3D printer is at work, hopefully I should get a usable replacement

7 Likes

3D printed Lewis gun worked very well, I printed six as I thought I would damage some getting them off the supports and I needed 3, of course I didn’t break any!

7 Likes

Looks great, Andrew. The propellers and rigging is exceptionally well done.

3 Likes

Built the fuel bin for the Whippet on one side. :+1:

Fail, back to the drawing board.

4 Likes

Forgot to deduct the width of the channel edge. Been there, done that. Nice job on iy despite the little gaff.

3 Likes

Don’t forget the other saying! “I cut it twice, but it’s still too short…”

4 Likes

I had a set of “plans” I was using and building to that. Not sure where the error lies but as the builder, it is my fault in the end.

Back to the drawing board.

1 Like

I have not been able to conform (or deny, for that matter) that the bins were constructed from wood. That is why I did not try to add the wooden look to them…

1 Like

I understand. A number of photo suggest a flat surface so in that case wood would be out. Other options would be metal, canvas or cardboard.
It is my understanding that the Music Box caught fire and from this photo on the frame remains. For me that kinda rules out metal.

From the YouTube video in the PS build.

The good news, is since I need to rebuild the bins I will make it a flat surface.

I had wondered about the front bracket additions, looks to be the track canvas fenders rolled up.

2 Likes

The frame indeed is a give away that the box indeed might be made of wood? Maybe plywood? Or didn’t they use this?

That seems logical. The track guards indeed were made of canvas. I opted to leave them off, since the bins will be in the way…

1 Like

Thought I’d jump in on this campaign. Had an Eduard Sopwith Camel in the stash for a while. WWI aircraft offer some really interesting markings and something different than later aircraft.

7 Likes

I’ve made some progress on the build. In fact it’s coming together quickly (for me).

It’s my second Eduard kit and engineering seems consistently good.

Had to mix up the sail colour for the interior, but pretty satisfied I’ve got close to the Mr colour option the kit suggests. Mix is 5:1 Tamiya XF55 (deck tan) to XF15 Flat flesh. It’s actually a shade or two lighter than in the photos.

Metals are Alclads. I’m going to use oils to get a wood grain effect on the outside, but won’t be noticed on the interior, so used acrylics for the interior. In hind sight should of gone for a lighter wood tone, but again can’t really see once all closed up.

9 Likes

Just got an ICM box in the mail with German Storm Troopers and I have some WWI a/c in the stash. This just might be the incentive to pull them out.

Cheers,
C.

3 Likes

Looks fantastic Digger

1 Like