The Mustang: NA-73X to the Enforcer

Well…forget what I said. Started dry fitting today to figure out where the cutting and sanding needed to begin and wow this thing is poorly molded.

The fuselage is not symmetrical and the whole thing is twisted.

With the work and life situation right now plus the outright missing parts, this is more than I can tackle. Back into the stash it goes….will likely try an Accurate Miniatures A-model instead.

4 Likes

This will probably be my entry for this campaign. I even got overtrees for a second Mustang with this buy, it was a good starting offer when Arma Hobby released that kit.
:raising_hand_man:

4 Likes

Heard really good things about those kits, @B-17-peter. Have you started yet?

I ended up selling the Voodoo kit on eBay and starting Accurate Miniatures’ P-51 instead. The kit decals are badly out of register so bought an aftermarket set to do a British bird.

Cockpit color is a little off but it’s what I have and we’re broke lol. Gloss coat next, followed by an oil wash and some silver pencil chipping and pastels before closing it all up.

Gotta love photography for showing errors…missed the seam on the control stick. One of the downsides of priming in black…

5 Likes

Looks nice so far! I like your choice of markings and colors, very interesting. I didn’t know about these desert Mustangs of the RAF yet :+1:
:raising_hand_man:
Peter
P.S. Not started mine yet, but I built two Hurricanes from ArmaHobby and they really good kits!

I didn’t know about them either until searching Scalemates for an alternative to the old AM decals.

Looking forward to seeing your Mustang in here!

@phantom_phanatic have you started on your Airfix kit yet? I was able to pick up that one at my LHS recently, btw…

2 Likes

Not yet. I’ve had to put projects on hold while we have some work done on the house. We’ve had new windows put in (completed last week) and this week the loft is being reinsulated and boarded. So everything has been packed up safely away to avoid any unintentional damage. Two rooms upstairs are currently full of everything we had in storage in the loft waiting to go back up. So I can’t even get to my modelling tools and paints!
It’s been a couple of weeks of chaos and stress but I keep telling myself (and my partner, she’s about ready to kill the contractors if we get another delay) that it’s worth it in the end.

I’ll crack on just as soon as I can.

2 Likes

That does NOT sound fun! Good luck and hope it’s all finished soon!

We’ll be here when you’re back.

1 Like

It’s been a massive headache. It’s the waiting around that’s getting to us. Just wish they would crack on to get some normality back. Not to mention a big chunk of cash between us both. Luckily there are few kit releases this year I want to get, so I don’t foresee spending much on modelling short of essential supplies.

1 Like

Not much progress this weekend so far. Sprayed some Tamiya clear gloss on the interior in prep for the wash, and got some gloss on the panel dials.

5 Likes

Sharp cockpit panel :+1:t2::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’ll certainly follow along. I can’t join because I started one years ago and then had to leave for a gig - sort of lost my mojo. Besides, I’m not good with deadlines. It’s the Trumpeter 1/24 kit. Somewhere I’ve got some wood grain decals for the cockpit.

1 Like

Hi Everyone,

I’ll be jumping in! I plan on doing a dual build of Tamiya’s P-51D, I’ve got some add-ons that I’ve picked up over the years that will come into play. My plan is to do Chuck Yeager’s “Glamours Glen III”, and Bud Anderson’s “Old Crow” circa 1944. I’m optimistic!

WhatsApp Image 2024-02-03 at 10.54.23_4b420b2c (2)

With 2 true detail cockpits, I’m thinking I’ll do one for sure, and if it looks better than what I can do, I’ll go that route on the second.

Till next time, stay safe, wash your hands and have lots of fun!

6 Likes

Looking forward to this one John! Welcome aboard.

1 Like

Cool plan, John. Looking forward to follow your builds :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

After seeing this picture

somewhere on the web, I wanted to make this set so I started on this one (not for this group build)

For this groupbuild I have opened up the other one for this set

This will be my entrie for this groupbuild.

3 Likes

Looking forward to this one @bwilt.

What decal set will you use?

1 Like

Probably make a set up from some that I have left over from an Israeli Spitfire and an Avia S199…

1 Like

Looking forward to seeing this one come together @bwilt.

Made good progress last night. Quite happy with how well everything fit, once you take some basic care with dry fitting and seam cleanup. Even the carburetor and radiator scoops are pretty good.

5 Likes

Got the cockpit and pilot of this tiny thing done, gave the pilot a harnas, and closed up the fuselage…

And wings…

7 Likes

Great stuff here! Wish I had seen this thread earlier as my attempt at RAF 2 squadron AG633 Eileen would have improved from a lot of these ideas here. Oh well I am wrapping up my effort soon.

More here. Enjoy!

2 Likes