The Story Behind Your Username and Avatar?

I live in PA near Reading. The Airport there is also a museum and every year they host A WWII weekend. One of their project has been the restoration of a P61. Not sure how far along they are but they’ve been working on it for years. Might want to check them out.

2 Likes

My avatar from the old site was a picture of Patton; being a tank nut and reading military history and watching old war movies. My old username was coninfab which was a combination of Conductor, Infantry and Airborne, some of the jobs I’ve had in my 53 years. I’m still a conductor on the Long Island Railroad (24 years), the other jobs were when I was in my 20s. Not very creative but I couldn’t think of anything else. Metalhead85 refers to my love of all things armor and heavy metal music and the year I graduated high school.

1 Like

Oh yeah, almost forgot, my new avatar is a set of US jump wings, I also love airborne subjects mainly figures.

Rich

1 Like

My name is in honor to first tank made in Argentine, Nahuel DL 43 to made in 1943.
I use a part of his name and the year that this made, the last 1, was there becasue I had a long time ago a problem with the first time that a post in this foro and not remember what was the problem… that is my story
The pic of the avatar is a photo of my in a trip that I did in Ushuaia Argentina
And this is a model that I made of the Nahuel DL 43

0D0

Omar

3 Likes

I was BornToDig (because I’m an archaeologist) on the old armorama since 2002, so now I’m reBorntodig :slight_smile:

The avatar is Niels Bohr (because I’m also a science nerd) with a 9 inch scale sloppily scrawled in…thus Nine Inch Niels (because I’m also a giant dork!) :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Darius because I’ve always like Darius the Great ,359 because :slight_smile: and au because i’m from Australia :sunglasses:
Avatar because the minions beret and the background colours are the hat badge and stable belt colour’s to my old Corps the RAAMC ,(Royal Australian Army Medical Corps)

3 Likes

Bison126 because I started my military career in the 126th infantry regiment which insignia is a bison.
I forgot to tell my avatar is just me as I look like today.

Olivier

3 Likes

My first time living in Japan was before the craft brew renaissance in the US and I learned just how superior Japanese beer was to what I had been drinking up to that point. Thus my online moniker has been since the first days of the internet the Japanese word for draft beer. My avatar is a Japanese snow monkey in a hot bath with a cell phone that it ostensibly swiped from a careless sightseer. Swap the phone for a beer and I would be the happiest monkey in the world!

:beer:

3 Likes

Just like me/mine (you’re not alone, brother :beer:)

And that’s me on my avatar/picture- 4 years ago (close to 20 kgs. less), pictured from SWMBO, while having a look at the menu in a small restaurant with a picturesque view.

3 Likes

Sleepwalker is my ancient IRC nick, as I’ve been joining groups at late nights. 71 was added as “Sleepwalker” was taken already when I was registering here. It is my “production year” obviously.
Avatar - my true musical love from 1982: Depeche Mode.

Hohenstaufen: this is the “honour title” of the 9th SS Panzer Division. I started modelling vehicles from this unit in 1975 when I was 18; after building ships, aircraft and lots of figures of various scales and periods I sort of got stuck on these. I’m still doing it. It’s one way of limiting and controlling my stash (this doesn’t always work, I still get tempted by other subjects)! The avatar is my 1971 Norton Commando, owned since 2000; on the old forum there was a picture of me on it, but I couldn’t find that and anyway there’s been some changes. When I get bored with kits I can get my hands dirty with this and my other bikes (absolutely NO Japanese ones!).

1 Like

Damn… When I swapped over onto this site I was going to change either my profile name to Wiking or the avatar to their Unit ID marking… I wish I had now

Your user name can still be changed …

I know a lady that speaks German and I get her to translate some words for me. Like "W"is pronounced Vee. Wilde Sau, is pronounced Vilda sow.

1 Like

and V is pronounced F :wink:
VW is therefore: Folksvagen
They do have problems with the Swedish Volvo though, Folfo … :rofl:

4 Likes

Dino from Deinos from Deimos = Terror in Greek.
Camo = short for camouflage in French.
My username on other platforms is Deinocamo, since people usually think of Dino as in Dinosaur (which is not wrong, since it means terror lizard). However, I keep the old one here.
It means “hidden terror”. Very edgy. I pick it when I was 10 years old.
My current profile picture is the CADPAT, pic was took from wikipedia.

Back in December 2002 (!) when I registered to Armorama, there wasn’t a lot of French members IIRC, so I thought it was a good idea to use my nationality as a username. I’m the proud owner of a 11-year old Scottish Terrier called Teddy and I decided to use a Scottie head for my new avatar. Here’s the Real mcCoy :

On a side note, H.P. = Henri-Pierre (my first name)

H.P.

8 Likes

I know the story behind the Mid Atlantic Air Museum P-61 in Reading. It’s just amazing what these guys made out of the jungle wreck over the years. Just amazing! A video of the status in 2018 can be seen here.

Btw, the crash landing of “The Spook” on the 20. April 1945 is quite well documentated in my P-61 book. It was one of a 4 ship formation coming home from a night patrol. As usual it was a very foggy morning over Iwo Jima with a visibility over the airfield around zero. While the first P-61 “Midnight Madness” came down safely, “The Spook” came in blind wide off the runway. When Lt. Bode tried to adjust his approach, his aircraft clipped the ground, bounced-off the top of the recently landed “Midnight Madness” and slid on its belly until finally coming to a halt, firing its 20 mm guns. Both aircraft were writte off beyond repair. The crew of the third P-61 bailed out, their aircraft crashed into the sea and the fourth P-61 had sufficient fuel to stay aloft until the ground fog had lifted.

What a successfull mission, 3 of 4 aircraft lost …

My screen name comes from my jumping out of aircraft days. In my old LRS unit we jumped by teams and sections, and I was usually told, “Carlos, you’re stick pusher on this jump” when assigned position for loading by my sergeant/jumpmaster. The last man out pushing out the rest of the stick of jumpers ahead. When the internet came along, I latched onto that for my screen names, minus the “c”. My avatar is my old LRS unit scroll (unauthorized for uniform wear as were all LRS scrolls), jump wings and EIB cut off one of my old BDUs.

4 Likes

I’m glad you cleared that up, I thought it was a spin on pencil pusher, sounds like you’re a far cry from a desk jockey :relaxed:

Cajun