The Story Behind Your Username and Avatar?

Trisaw is the name of the hovertank kitbash that I built in the 1990s. It has a triple-combo threat of main weapons of turret gun, left hull railgun, and right hull twin gatling guns = TRI-SAW.

http://www.starshipmodeler.org/gallery7/po_tri.htm

But my real Trisaw name came from codenames I created just like Intel CPUs are labeled “Pentium,” “XEON,” “Celeron,” i5 Core," etc. I wanted a unique name and had “Trisaw” long before I gave it to a model hovertank kitbash. I also own “Cenebar” and a few other Sci-Fi hovertank names.

http://www.starshipmodeler.info/gallery4/po_htank.htm

I used to have the Armorama Avatar of PIXAR’s Mike Wazowki character for getting teased for my “One Eye” view on things decades ago (like “He can’t see the forest for the trees because he has ONE EYE open!”). My “One Eye” isn’t an (optical) injury…just the way it is as Mikey yelled to Sulley in the movie of getting teased because Mikey has just ONE EYE to see things. :smile: :grin:

I decided to change my photo to a M1A2SEPv3 photo (something different and High Resolution) even though I no longer model armor. I might change it in the future but it goes to show the triple-combo of threat weapons in 120mm main gun, COAX, and TC’s 12.7mm MG (the loader’s MG is rarely used), hence TRI-SAW again.

1 Like

Thanks for the welcome. My professional life was spent as a civil engineer in heavy construction which leads to my principle interest of engineering and logistics equipment in 1/35th scale. I am first and foremost though a model railroader and also dabble in 1/48th scale military fixed wing aircraft. I’ve been a member of the forums for several years but post infrequently as I really do not feel I have much to contribute to the great modeling I see here.

4 Likes

Civil engineer in heavy construction? You do the cool stuff.

Model railroader? What scale, railroad, era, etc.? Come over to Railroad Modeling and show us your layout. If one needs to be a great modeler to contribute to these forums, then I would be banned from the site. This is a fun thread: [https://forums.kitmaker.net/t/re-my-rolling-stock-your-rolling-stock-show-and-tell-thread/3806]( My Rolling Stock Your Rolling Stock . show and tell thread)

I also prefer 1/48th military aircraft. Do you focus on any particular subject?

Cool careers you’ve had.

LIRR - USAAF/USAF ace Francis Gabreski was President of it for a while, right?

A friend of mine at the middle school where I worked (15 years. I then transferred to my present school) used to call me Toad. One day I said, “It’s Grand Toad to you, peasant.” Then I started using Grand Toad as a user name on forums. I changed it for awhile because some PC clown got bent because he claimed it reminded him of a certain racist group. So, I dropped the grand part. Later one of the forum mods said it didn’t matter. I’m also a fan of Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride. My son even bought me a Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride t shirt last year.

My avatar is Gomez Addams from the 60s TV series. Gomez is one of my all time favorite TV characters. John Astin was great as that character. Gomez is like the archetype dad, to me. The dude really cares about his family. Then my Scottish friend Sid said, “You look like Gomez, ye’ pie.” I’ve learned a lot of Scottish insults from Sid.

2 Likes

Yeah I’ve had cool careers, been very lucky. I believe Gabreski was ; yes. The ANG base out in Westhampton Beach where the 106th Rescue Wing is stationed is also named after him. I was there from 2001-2013. About 1/2 mile away is the Westhampton train station as well lol.

Indeed I believe we have Frank G to thank for the Blue Wave paint scheme on the LIRR from the 70s to the early 90s! (The scheme of my childhood…)

1 Like

Yeah that’s the story lol. They’ve gone through a number of paint jobs over the years. Sadly, the railroad doesn’t put a priority on repainting their engines and it’s a shame. No pride in appearance. They do use them a ton being it’s the busiest commuter rail road in North America. Here are pics I took about 2 weeks ago in Morris Park engine facility in Jamaica,Queens.

This engine was freshly painted while the two smaller engines in the back of the other photo have been in those colors for many years

1 Like

Those make me homesick! I was shocked when the blue/yellow/black scheme first appeared, but it’s kinda grown on me now…

1 Like

Yeah me too. I liked the older scheme better. Most of the engines look god awful with the paint mostly pealed off, it’s disgraceful.

I presume the LIRR is as broke as usual? The blue/white engines were looking pretty shabby by the early 90s too.

Oh yeah lol same ol same ol. Always strapped for cash. Now with the COVID situation the trains are 80% empty because no one is going to the city for work etc

Snow in Jamaica … ? :jamaica:

:wink: :innocent:

1 Like

Yes sounds strange doesn’t it lol

1 Like

Enough to have a bobsled team. :joy:

3 Likes

Now I actually had long wondered what that stood for. I think I always read it as JPPTR which somehow rolls off the tongue more easily.

First Circle by Alexander Solzhenitsyn happened to be the book I was reading when I signed up for a Kitmaker account. I guess it could have been something else - currently I’m reading a 70s novel about police corruption called Sir, You B*****d…
My avatar used to be a photo of Solzhenitsyn in a prison camp:
solzhenitsyn_gulag_photo

As a joke in relation to some forum post I changed it to Sigmund Freud, then never changed it back. I now look quite a lot like him in that photo, so it seems appropriate.

1 Like

Especially considering how flat the Island is! :grin:

3 Likes

Decided to update the icon picture to one that reflects my afv modeling interest.

11th Panzer Division aka the Ghost Division logo

images

I may be wrong but I thought the 7th PZ was known as the Ghost Division.

1 Like

Yes, 7th Panzer was nicknamed the Ghost Division during or immediately after the French 1940 campaign. But 11th Panzer used the ghost as their insignia. I’ve even seen photos of Leopard 2’s using that insignia during the Cold War.

1 Like